The Athletic Training Staff at Northwestern University has announced the requirements for the Howard Sweeney Award of Excellence. The primary objective of this award is to recognize Athletic Training Aides who demonstrate excellence in skill proficiency, professionalism, and dedication during their undergraduate experience in the NU Sports Medicine Department.
Established in 2004, this award honors Dr. Howard Sweeney. Dr. Sweeney contributed over 30 years of dedicated service to the athletic training staff, students and student-athletes at NU. Dr. Sweeney was a consultant for NU from 1964 - 1984, and was a Team Physician for NU athletics from 1984 - 2002. Dr. Sweeney continues to be a great supporter of our program.
No more that two awards will be presented annually. Individuals must meet the following requirements to be considered for the award. Requirements are listed in order of importance:
- Current enrollment or successful completion of their fifth quarter as a Athletic Training Aide.
- Evidence of excellence in quality Athletic Training Aide evaluations beyond their second quarter in the program.
- Evidence of extra-curricular involvement in athletic training, the Athletic Training Aide Club, University service, and/or community service.
- Evidence of academic achievement.
- Evidence of commitment to the values that Dr. Sweeney displayed every day including a commitment to excellence, dedication to the sports medicine profession, and a strong work ethic.
The Athletic Training Staff will discuss the merit of eligible students during the first week of April. Recipient(s) will be selected by a majority vote. An award plaque at the annual Northwestern University Sports Medicine Recognition Banquet will recognize recipients.
Previous Award Recipients:
|Andrew Beaser & Anna Volerman||2005|
|Max Fitzgerald & Meghan Kirby||2008|
|Samantha Gitelis and Karan Desai||2009|