May 19, 2006
PALO ALTO, Calif. -- Northwestern's ninth-ranked women's tennis team's NCAA Championships quarterfinal match with No. 3 Southern California has been postponed indefinitely due to inclement weather. Stay tuned to NUsports.com, as further information on the match will be posted as it becomes available.
The 'Cats will travel north to San Francisco to play USC indoors at the San Francisco Tennis Club. First serve is slated for anytime between 5:30 p.m. and 6 p.m. PT.
Play will resume on the six-court complex with NU and USC playing doubles on three courts, while Notre Dame and Miami continue doubles on the other three courts.
For singles, the four teams will again split the six courts, with three courts being used for each match. Additional singles matches will begin as courts become available.
Update: The Wildcats have arrived at the San Francisco Tennis Club and will begin doubles play shortly. Live scoring is not available, but check this story for frequent score updates.
NORTHWESTERN 3, SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA 3
1) Cristelle Grier/Alexis Prousis (NU) def. Dianne Matias/Carine Vermeulen (USC) 8-4*
2) Georgia Rose/Feriel Esseghir (NU) def. Luana Magnani/Lindsey Nelson (USC) 8-1
3) Judy DeVera/Amanda Fink (USC) led Jamie Peisel/Nazlie Ghazal (NU) 6-5, abd.
Order of finish: 2, 1*, abd.
* Clinched doubles point
With only three courts currently available to play singles, only the Nos. 1-3 matches are in progress. The Nos. 4-6 matches will be played, in order, as courts become available.
1) Lindsey Nelson (USC) def. Georgia Rose (NU) 6-2, 6-2
2) Cristelle Grier (NU) def. Amanda Fink (USC) 6-1, 5-7, 3-0 (retired)
3) Luana Magnani (USC) def. Alexis Prousis (NU) 6-3, 6-7(4), 6-3
4) Dianne Matias (USC) def. Jamie Peisel (NU) 6-0, 6-4
5) Feriel Esseghir (NU) def. Anca Anastasiu (USC) 6-2, 7-5
6) Carine Vermeulen (USC) leads Nazlie Ghazal (NU) 6-4, 5-2
Order of finish: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5