April 25, 2014
EVANSTON, Ill. -- Second-seeded and 16th-ranked Northwestern thoroughly dominated singles play as it took down seventh-seeded Indiana 4-1 Friday afternoon to advance to the semifinal round of the 2014 Big Ten Women's Tennis Tournament.
The Wildcats will take on third-seeded Ohio State, a 4-0 winner over Minnesota on Friday, in Saturday's second semifinal matchup at 2 p.m. Top-seeded Michigan faces No. 4 seed Purdue in the first semifinal at 10 a.m.
It was a tight battle in doubles play between NU and the Hoosiers as both teams battled to jump out to the early lead.
At No. 3, the teams were on serve with Indiana leading 6-5 when Belinda Niu and Brooke Rischbiethwere broken by Kayla Fujimoto and Alecia Kauss. The Hoosier duo then held serve in the ensuing game to earn the victory.
Indiana surged in front at No. 1 as the team of Katie Klyczek and Carolyn Chupa went up a pair of breaks against Veronica Corning and Alicia Barnettto take a 6-2 lead. Down 7-5, the Wildcats fought off three match points to win the game and get back on serve. However, IU answered with its own break to win 8-6 and take the doubles point.
The Wildcats quickly put the disappointment of double play behind them, though, as they dominated singles action. Five of the six Northwestern players posted opening-set victories. It didn't take Niu much longer to finish off Sophie Garre at No. 2 as she notched a 6-2, 6-1 victory to even the match.
At No. 5, Lok Sze Leung was dominant in her match against Gabrielle Rubenstein, winning the first 11 games of the match en route to a 6-0, 6-2 victory. Freshman Manon Perisoon followed by winning for the ninth time in her last 10 matches as she disposed of Paula Gutierrez 6-2, 6-2 to bring Northwestern within one point of the match victory.
Barnett had the honors of finishing the match off as she rolled to a 6-3, 6-3 win over Kauss at No. 3, allowing the Wildcats to advance in the tournament.
#16 Northwestern 4, Indiana 1
1. #37 Veronica Corning (NU) vs. Katie Klyczek (IU) 3-6, 6-3, 1-1 (unfinished)
2. #41 Belinda Niu (NU) def. Sophie Garre (IU) 6-2, 6-1
3. Alicia Barnett (NU) def. Alecia Kauss (IU) 6-3, 6-3
4. Manon Peri (NU) def. Paula Gutierrez (IU) 6-2, 6-2
5. Lok Sze Leung (NU) def. Gabrielle Rubenstein (IU) 6-0, 6-2
6. Nida Hamilton (NU) led Kim Schmider (IU) 6-3, 3-6, 1-0 (unfinished)
Order of Finish: 2, 5, 4, 3*
1. Katie Klyczek / Carolyn Chupa (IU) def. Veronica Corning / Alicia Barnett (NU) 8-6
2. Maddie Lipp / Nida Hamilton (NU) vs. Sophie Garre / (IU) 7-7 (unfinished)
3. Kayla Fujimoto / Alecia Kauss (IU) def. Brooke Rischbieth / Belinda Niu (NU) 8-5
Order of Finish: 3, 1*
Be the first to know what's going on with the 'Cats -- Follow @NU_Sports on Twitter, become a fan of Northwestern Athletics on Facebook, subscribe to the NU Sports Express e-newsletter and sign up to receive promotional text alerts for the latest news, schedule updates and video and to interact with NU. For more information on following specific Northwestern teams online, visit our Social Media page!