April 14, 2013
Site: Columbus, Ohio (OSU Outdoor Courts)
Score: No. 16 Northwestern 6, No. 62 Ohio State 1
Records: NU (13-8, 7-2 Big Ten), Ohio State (10-11, 3-6 Big Ten)
Next NU Event: Friday, April 19 - at Purdue (West Lafayette, Ind.), 3 p.m. CT
COLUMBUS, Ohio - No. 16 Northwestern had little trouble trouble with No. 62 Ohio State Sunday, posting a 6-1 win.
The Wildcats needed to rally back to take the doubles point as the Buckeyes got an 8-6 win at No. 3 which was the first match to end. However, the ninth-ranked duo of Linda Abu Mushrefova and Nida Hamilton posted an 8-5 win at No. 1, leaving things up to the match at No. 2. Veronica Corning and Alicia Barnett continued their stellar play as a pair, winning their seventh-straight match as they defeated Fidan Manashirova and Gabby Steele 8-6.
NU was able to roll in singles play as it won five of the six matches, including four in straight sets. Mushrefova improved to 9-0 in Big Ten play as she trounced Steele 6-1, 6-2 to put the 'Cats up 2-0 in the match.
Nida Hamilton also took care of her opponent in two sets as she defeated Nicole Flower 6-3, 6-4 before 55th-ranked Kate Turvy clinched the match at No. 1 with a 6-1, 6-3 victory over 45th-ranked Kelsey Dieters.
Barnett was also triumphant at No. 5 as she took down Grainne O'Neill 7-5, 6-3. Ohio State got its only win of the day at No. 2 as Manashirova defeated Corning, but Belinda Niu wrapped up the day by rallying back for a 2-6, 6-3, 1-0 (10-6) win over Kara Cecil.
Northwestern is back in action at 3 p.m. Central time Friday as it closes out the road portion of the regular season by traveling to Purdue.
#16 Northwestern 6, #62 Ohio State 1
1. #55 Kate Turvy (NU) def. #45 Kelsey Dieters (OSU) 6-1, 6-3
2. Fidan Manashirova (OSU) def. #106 Veronica Corning (NU) 6-3, 7-5
3. Belinda Niu (NU) def. Kara Cecil (OSU) 2-6, 6-3, 1-0 (10-6)
4. Linda Abu Mushrefova (NU) def. Gabby Steele (OSU) 6-1, 6-2
5. Alicia Barnett (NU) def. Grainne O'Neill (OSU) 7-5, 6-3
6. Nida Hamilton (NU) def. Nicole Flower (OSU) 6-3, 6-4
Order of finish: 4, 6, 1*, 5, 2, 3
1. #9 Linda Abu Mushrefova/Nida Hamilton (NU) def. Kara Cecil/Kelsey Dieters (OSU) 8-5
2. Veronica Corning/Alicia Barnett (NU) def. Fidan Manashirova/Gabby Steele (OSU) 8-6
3. Kelsey Becker/Grainne O'Neill (OSU) def. Belinda Niu/Kate Turvy (NU) 8-6
Order of finish:
3, 1, 2*
Be the first to know what's going on with the 'Cats -- Follow @NU_Sports on Twitter, become a fan of Northwestern Athletics on Facebook, subscribe to the NU Sports Express e-newsletter and sign up to receive promotional text alerts for the latest news, schedule updates and video and to interact with NU. For more information on following specific Northwestern teams online, visit our Social Media page!