April 13, 2014
EVANSTON, Ill. -- No. 12 Northwestern sent its seniors off with a victory in their final home match of the regular season Sunday, defeating 5-2 at Vandy Christie Tennis Center.
The Wildcats honored Veronica Corning, Nida Hamilton and Belinda Niu who were appearing in the last regular-season home match of their careers.
Iowa gave NU an early test in doubles play at the Nos. 1 and 2 spots. The 'Cats didn't have any issues at No. 3 where Niu and freshman Brooke Rischbieth cruised to an 8-1 victory over Ellen Silver and Annette Dohanics.
However, the 29th-ranked team of Corning and Alicia Barnett got off to a slow start at the No. 1 position and they found themselves trailing Morven McCulloch and Ruth Seaborne 4-1. The Wildcats' duo roared back, though, winning the final seven games of the match to give Northwestern the doubles point with an 8-4 victory.
Barnett set the tone for the 'Cats in singles play as she needed only 50 minutes to topple McCulloch 6-0, 6-2 at No. 3, giving Northwestern a 2-0 lead in the match. The advantage grew to 3-0 when Niu was equally impressive in a 6-2, 6-0 trouncing of Shelby Talcott at No. 2.
Manon Peri clinched the match for NU moments later as she became the third consecutive Wildcat to allow just two games to her opponent as she defeated Katie Zordani 6-1, 6-1.
Iowa got on the board at No. 1 when 113th-ranked Seaborne completed an upset win over 34th-ranked Corning 6-3, 7-6 (5). Hamilton would earn Northwestern one more victory when she completed a straight-sets 6-4, 6-2 triumph over Silver.
The Hawkeyes managed one final victory before rains hit as Dohanics overcame a match point against Maddie Lipp to earn a 2-6, 6-2, 7-6 (5) victory at No. 5.
Northwestern gets its final weekend of the regular season underway Saturday when it travels to Wisconsin. First serve is set for 11 a.m.
#12 Northwestern 5, Iowa 2
1. #113 Ruth Seaborne (IOWA) def. #34 Veronica Corning (NU) 6-3, 7-6 (5)
2. #40 Belinda Niu (NU) def. Shelby Talcott (IOWA) 6-2, 6-0
3. Alicia Barnett (NU) def. Morven McCulloch (IOWA) 6-0, 6-2
4. Manon Peri (NU) def. Katie Zordani (IOWA) 6-1, 6-1
5. Annette Dohanics (IOWA) def. Maddie Lipp (NU) 2-6, 6-2, 7-6 (5)
6. Nida Hamilton (NU) def. Ellen Silver (IOWA) 6-4, 6-2
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 4*, 1, 6, 5
1. #27 Veronica Corning / Alicia Barnett (NU) def. Morven McCulloch / Ruth Seaborne (IOWA) 8-4
2. Maddie Lipp / Nida Hamilton (NU) led Shelby Talcott / Katie Zordani 6-5 (unfinished)
3. Brooke Rischbieth / Belinda Niu (NU) def. Ellen Silver / Annette Dohanics (IOWA) 8-1
Order of Finish: 3, 1*
Be the first to know what's going on with the 'Cats -- Follow @NU_Sports on Twitter, become a fan of Northwestern Athletics on Facebook, subscribe to the NU Sports Express e-newsletter and sign up to receive promotional text alerts for the latest news, schedule updates and video and to interact with NU. For more information on following specific Northwestern teams online, visit our Social Media page!