April 13, 2013
Site: University Park, Pa. (Sarni Tennis Center)
Score: No. 16 Northwestern 5, No. 38 Penn State 2
Records: NU (12-8, 6-2 Big Ten), Penn State (13-5, 3-5 Big Ten)
Next NU Event: Sunday, April 14 - at Ohio State (Columbus, Ohio), 11 a.m. CT
UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. -
No. 16 Northwestern notched four straight-set singles wins as well as a victory in doubles to take down No. 38 Penn State 5-2 Saturday at Sarni Tennis Center.
The Wildcats took care of business in doubles play as it notched wins at Nos. 2 and 3. At No. 2, the team of Veronica Corning and Alicia Barnett posted their sixth-consecutive win as they cruised to an 8-1 win over Carmen Sandor and Devan McCluskey. In each of their last four wins the duo has allowed their opponents to win only one game or less.
The Nittany Lions got a win at the No. 1 spot, leaving things up to the match at No. 3, but Belinda Niu and Kate Turvy came through with a 6-2, 6-4 win over Jacqueline Zuhse and Marie Bedard to give NU the doubles point.
All four singles matches were decided in straight set and Northwestern was carried to the victory by the bottom part of its lineup. Penn State evened the match with a victory by Chelsea Utting at No. 2, but Barnett posted a 6-2, 6-4 victory at No. 5 over Sandor to put the 'Cats back in front.
Another win by the hosts at No. 1 evened the match 2-2, but NU took care of business down the stretch. Nida Hamilton remained undefeated in Big Ten singles play as she defeated Bedard 6-2, 6-4 at No. 6 and Niu clinched the victory as she topped Zuhse 6-3, 6-2 at No. 3.
Like her doubles partner, Hamilton, Linda Abu Mushrefova stayed unbeaten in conference singles action as she improved to 8-0 with a 6-2, 6-3 win over McCluskey at No. 4.
Northwestern returns to action at 11 a.m. Central time when it takes on Ohio State in Columbus.
#16 Northwestern 5, Penn State 2
1. #49 Petra Januskova/Chelsea Utting (PSU) def. #9 Linda Abu Mushrefova/Nida Hamilton (NU) 8-5
2. Veronica Corning/Alicia Barnett (NU) def. Carmen Sandor/Devan McCluskey (PSU) 8-1
3. Belinda Niu/Kate Turvy (NU) def. Jacqueline Zuhse/Marie Bedard (PSU) 8-4
Order of finish: 2, 1, 3*
1. #67 Petra Januskova (PSU) def. #106 Veronica Corning (NU) 6-4, 6-4
2. Chelsea Utting (PSU) def. #55 Kate Turvy (NU) 6-2, 6-2
3. Belinda Niu (NU) def. Jacqueline Zuhse (PSU) 6-3, 6-2
4. Linda Abu Mushrefova (NU) def. Devan McCluskey (PSU) 6-2, 6-3
5. Alicia Barnett (NU) def. Carmen Sandor (PSU) 6-2, 6-4
6. Nida Hamilton (NU) def. Marie Bedard (PSU) 6-2, 6-4
Order of finish: 2, 5, 1, 6, 3*, 4
Be the first to know what's going on with the 'Cats -- Follow @NU_Sports on Twitter, become a fan of Northwestern Athletics on Facebook, subscribe to the NU Sports Express e-newsletter and sign up to receive promotional text alerts for the latest news, schedule updates and video and to interact with NU. For more information on following specific Northwestern teams online, visit our Social Media page!