April 6, 2013
Site: Evanston, Ill. (Combe Tennis Center)
Score: No. 14 Northwestern 6, Michigan State 1
Records: NU (11-7, 5-1 Big Ten), Michigan State (10-11, 0-6 Big Ten)
Next NU Event: Sunday, April 7 - vs. Michigan (Vandy Christie Tennis Center), Noon
EVANSTON, Ill. -
No. 14 Northwestern had little trouble with Michigan State Saturday as the Wildcats cruised to a 5-2 victory over Michigan State at Combe Tennis Center.
NU barely broke a sweat in capturing the doubles points as the Wildcats notched their two needed victories in just 34 minutes. At No. 2, Veronica Corning and Alicia Barnett thoroughly dominated Michaela Silesova and Nicole Herzog, 8-0. Linda Abu Mushrefova and Nida Hamilton barely had much more trouble with Marina Bohrer and Catherine Parenteau, dominating by an 8-1 score to give the hosts the early lead.
Northwestern carried the momentum into singles play as the 'Cats didn't surrender more than two games to five of their six opponents in the first set.
Kate Turvy, ranked 63rd, made quick work of Olga Chernova at No. 2, cruising to a 6-1, 6-0 win that put the Wildcats up 2-0 in the match. Hamilton was virtually equally impressive as she surrendered just two games in a 6-2, 6-0 white-washing of Michaela Silesova at No. 6.
Niu would clinch the match win for NU just moments later as she completed a 6-2, 6-2 triumph over Parenteau. Mushrefova was the Wildcats' fourth straight-set victor as she cruised in the first set before having to rally back from down a break in the second to notch a 6-1, 7-6 (7-2) victory.
Michigan State avoided the shutout by picking up a win at No. 4 where Nicole Herzog rallied past Alicia Barnett
to win in a third-set superbreaker 2-6, 6-4, 1-0 (10-6). In the final match of the day to wrap up, Corning jumped out to an early first-set lead but couldn't hold on against Bohrer. However, Corning won a tight second set and then rallied from three points down to take the superbreaker to end the match on a high note for the Wildcats.
Northwestern returns to action at noon Sunday as it hosts a showdown with No. 8 Michigan. The match is slated to be played outdoors at Vandy Christie Tennis Center, though fans are encouraged to check twitter.com/NU_Sports for updates.
#14 Northwestern 6, Michigan State 1
1. #9 Linda Abu Mushrefova/Nida Hamilton (NU) def. Marina Bohrer/Catherine Parenteau (MSU) 8-1
2. Veronica Corning/Alicia Barnett (NU) def. Nicole Herzog/Michaela Silesova (MSU) 8-0
3. Kate Turvy/Belinda Niu (NU) vs. Julianne Gruber/Emily Meyers (MSU) 2-2, abandoned
Order of finish: 2, 1*
1. #96 Veronica Corning (NU) def. Marina Bohrer (MSU) 5-7, 7-5, 1-0 (10-7)
2. Kate Turvy (NU) def. Olga Chernova (MSU) 6-1, 6-0
3. Belinda Niu (NU) def. Catherine Parenteau (MSU) 6-2, 6-2
4. Nicole Herzog (MSU) def. Alicia Barnett (NU) 2-6, 6-4, 1-0 (10-6)
5. Linda Abu Mushrefova (NU) def. Emily Meyers (MSU) 6-1, 7-6 (7-2)
6. Nida Hamilton (NU) def. Michaela Silesova (MSU) 6-2, 6-0
Order of finish: 2, 6, 3*, 5, 4, 1