March 31, 2013
Site: Evanston, Ill. (Vandy Christie Tennis Center)
Score: No. 11 Northwestern 7, Wisconsin 0
Records: NU (10-7, 4-1 Big Ten), Wisconsin (3-12, 1-4 Big Ten)
Next NU Event: Saturday, April 6 - vs. Michigan State (Vandy Christie Tennis Center), 11 a.m.
EVANSTON, Ill. -- No. 11 Northwestern posted its second-consecutive shutout win of the weekend as it blanked Wisconsin 7-0 Sunday at Vandy Christie Tennis Center.
The Wildcats also notched a 7-0 victory over Minnesota on Saturday.
NU had little trouble in doubles play. The first two matches to end both ended within 30 seconds of one another while the Wildcats had a match point in the third when it was abandoned after the doubles point had been clinched.
The No. 2 pairing of Kate Turvy and Belinda Niu wrapped up their match first, winning 8-2 over Katie Hoch and Anastasia Tripolskaya. Just seconds later, ninth-ranked Linda Abu Mushrefova and Nida Hamilton finished off Hannah Berner and Lauren Chypyha 8-4. At No. 3, Veronica Corning and Alicia Barnett led 7-3 and was up 40-30 when their match was abandoned.
The lead immediate grew to 2-0 as the Badgers forfeited the match at No. 6 singles. Hamilton was the first to finish her singles match as she had no trouble with Hoch at No. 5, recording a 6-0, 6-1 victory.
Mushrefova clinched the match for Northwestern when she took down Lauren Burich 6-0, 6-3 at the No. 4 spot. The Wildcats also got a straight-sets win from Barnett who earned a 6-3, 6-2 victory at No. 3.
Playing at the No. 1 position for the first time this season, 96th-ranked Corning was pushed to a superbreaker against Berner, but she was able to rally back to prevail 2-6, 6-3, 1-0 (11-9).
Niu finished off the match by taking down Chypyha by a 6-4, 6-3 margina.
Northwestern returns to action at 11 a.m. Saturday when it hosts Michigan State.
#11 Northwestern 7, Wisconsin 0
1. #9 Linda Abu Mushrefova / Nida Hamilton (NU) def. Hannah Berner / Lauren Chyphya (WIS) 8-4
2. Kate Turvy / Belinda Niu (NU) def. Katie Hoch / Anastasia Tripolskay (WIS) 8-2
3. Veronica Corning / Alicia Barnett (NU) led Lauren Burich / Pernilla Wohlstrom 7-3 (40-30), abandoned
Order of finish: 2, 3*
1. #96 Veronica Corning (NU) def. Hannah Berner (WIS) 2-6, 6-3, 1-0 (11-9)
2. Belinda Niu (NU) def. Lauren Chypyha (WIS) 6-4, 6-3
3. Alicia Barnett (NU) def. Anastasia Tripolskaya (WIS) 6-3, 6-2
4. Linda Abu Mushrefova (NU) def. Lauren Burich 6-0, 6-3
5. Nida Hamilton (NU) def. Katie Hoch (WIS) 6-0, 6-1
6. Northwestern wins by forfeit
Order of finish: 6, 5, 4*, 3, 1, 2
Be the first to know what's going on with the 'Cats -- Follow @NU_Sports on Twitter, become a fan of Northwestern Athletics on Facebook, subscribe to the NU Sports Express e-newsletter and sign up to receive promotional text alerts for the latest news, schedule updates and video and to interact with NU. For more information on following specific Northwestern teams online, visit our Social Media page!