March 30, 2013
Site: Evanston, Ill. (Vandy Christie Tennis Center)
Score: #11 Northwestern 7, Minnesota 0
Records: NU (9-7, 3-1 Big Ten), Minnesota (8-8, 2-2 Big Ten)
Next NU Event: Sunday, March 31 - vs. Wisconsin (Vandy Christie Tennis Center), 11 a.m.
EVANSTON, Ill. -- No. 11 Northwestern got back on track Saturday at Vandy Christie Tennis Center as it rolled to a 7-0 victory over Minnesota.
After suffering three consecutive nail-biting 4-3 losses, NU had little trouble in its first outdoor home match of the dual season.
The Wildcats dominated doubles play at the Nos. 2 and 3 spots to take the early match lead. The pairing of Veronica Corning and Alicia Barnett didn't surrender a game at No. 2 in defeating Yuliana Umanets and Alex Palen, 8-0. Meanwhile, at No. 3, Kate Turvy and Belinda Niu rolled to an 8-1 win over Paula Rincon Otero and Jessika Mozia.
Linda Abu Mushrefova got NU off to a good start in singles as she made quick work of Aria Lambert at the No. 5 spot, cruising to a 6-3, 6-0 victory. Turvy got off to a slow start as she dropped the first four games of her opening set against Natallia Pintusava, but responded convincingly to notch a 6-4, 6-1 win and put the 'Cats in front 3-0.
Corning clinched the match win for Northwestern as she took down Rincon Otero in straight sets, 6-4, 6-2, before Nida Hamilton also won in two sets by a score of 6-2, 6-2.
In the only match of the day to go a full three sets, Alicia Barnett bolted out an early lead at No. 4 by winning the opening set 6-1 over Mozia. The freshman was in control in the second set as well, but Mozia rallied back to win 7-5, forcing a decisive third set. However, Barnett bounced back by rolling to a 6-2 win in the final set to earn the victory.
In the final match to finish at No. 2, Belinda Niu
was edged in an opening set tiebreaker, but came back to win the second set 6-1 before rolling in the decisive superbreaker, 10-0.
Northwestern returns to action at 11 a.m. Sunday as it hosts Wisconsin at Vandy Christie Tennis Center.
#11 Northwestern 7, Minnesota 0
1. #9 Linda Abu Mushrefova / Nida Hamilton (NU) vs. Natallia Pintusava / Tereza Brichacova (MINN) 6-6 (abandoned)
2. Veronica Corning / Alicia Barnett (NU) def. Yuliana Umanets / Alexa Palen (MINN) 8-0
3. Kate Turvy / Belinda Niu (NU) def. Paula Rincon Otero / Jessika Mozia (MINN) 8-1
Order of finish: 2, 3*
1. Kate Turvy (NU) def. Natallia Pintusava (MINN) 6-4, 6-1
2. Belinda Niu (NU) def. Tereza Brichacova (MINN) 6-7 (8-6), 6-1, 1-0 (10-0)
3. Veronica Corning (NU) def. Paula Rincon Otero (MINN) 6-4, 6-4
4. Alicia Barnett (NU) def. Jessika Mozia (MINN) 6-1, 5-7, 6-2
5. Linda Abu Mushrefova (NU) def. Aria Lambert (MINN) 6-3, 6-0
6. Nida Hamilton (NU) def. Yuliana Umanets (MINN) 6-2, 6-2
Order of finish: 5, 1, 3*, 6, 4, 2
Be the first to know what's going on with the 'Cats -- Follow @NU_Sports on Twitter, become a fan of Northwestern Athletics on Facebook, subscribe to the NU Sports Express e-newsletter and sign up to receive promotional text alerts for the latest news, schedule updates and video and to interact with NU. For more information on following specific Northwestern teams online, visit our Social Media page!