March 30, 2008
CHAMPAIGN, Ill. -- Top-ranked Northwestern continued its tremendous play in Big Ten competition, defeating 70th-ranked Illinois, 7-0. With their 11th-consecutive victory, the Wildcats improve to 17-1 this season and remain atop the Big Ten standings at 5-0.
The 'Cats swept the doubles point by winning at all three courts to go up 1-0 for the match. At No. 2, Suzie Matzenauer (Tacoma, Wash./Bellarmine) and Samantha Murray (Altrincham, England/Altrincham Grammar) finished quickly and won in dominating fashion, 8-1. Alexis Conill (Fort Lauderdale, Fla./Cardinal Gibbons) and Maria Mosolova (Moscow, Russia/No. 204) were the next to finish in an 8-4 victory at No. 3, locking up the doubles point.
Northwestern secured the sweep at No. 1, where 28th-ranked Georgia Rose (Mettawa, Ill./North Shore Country Day) and Lauren Lui (Houston, Texas/Kinkaid) were winners, 8-6.
The Wildcats took a 2-0 match advantage when Samantha Murray won her dual singles at No. 3, 6-2, 6-3. Matzenauer has clearly rebounded from her struggles last week, dominating at No. 6 on Sunday, 6-3, 6-3, and giving the 'Cats a 3-0 lead.
Northwestern secured the match victory by going up 4-0 at No. 5 when Nazlie Ghazal (Temecula, Calif./Chaparral) continued her winning pace 6-1, 6-4. Fifth-ranked Georgia Rose enjoyed her opportunity to compete again at the No. 1 position and did so in top-fashion, handedly defeating her opponent 6-3, 6-2.
In one of the day's most exciting matches, third-ranked Maria Mosolova
improved to a team-best 27-4 overall this year after her 7-5, 6-4 victory at No. 2. With the 'Cats already holding on to a 6-0 advantage, Lauren Lui
sparked the sweep at No. 4 with her impressive 6-2, 6-4 victory. Lui remains undefeated from that position this season.
Northwestern returns to Evanston to host a pair of Big Ten dual matches next weekend. The Wildcats welcome 31st-ranked Ohio State to the Combe Tennis Center at 11 a.m. Saturday, April 5, before hosting 25th-ranked Indiana at 11 a.m. Sunday, April 6. Sunday's action with Indiana is slated to be featured on the Big Ten Network.
1. Georgia Rose (NU) def. Megan Fudge (ILL) 6-3, 6-2
2. Maria Mosolova (NU) def. Leigh Finnegan (ILL) 7-5, 6-4
3. Samantha Murray (NU) def. Marisa Lambropoulos (ILL) 6-2, 6-3
4. Lauren Lui (NU) def. Shivani Dave (ILL) 6-2, 6-4
5. Nazlie Ghazal (NU) def. Momei Qu (ILL) 6-1, 6-4
6. Suzie Matzenauer (NU) def. Kristina Minor (ILL) 6-3, 6-3
1. Georgia Rose/Lauren Lui (NU) def. Megan Fudge/Shivani Dave (ILL) 8-6
2. Suzie Matzenauer/Samantha Murray (NU) def. Leigh Finnegan/Marisa Lambropoulos (ILL) 8-1
3. Alexis Conill/Maria Mosolova (NU) def. Annie McCarthy/Kristina Minor (ILL) 8-4
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (3,6,5,1,2,4)