Jan. 31, 2013
Site: Nashville, Tenn. (Currey Tennis Center)
Score: No. 21 Vanderbilt 4, No. 14 Northwestern 2
Records: NU (2-1), Vanderbilt (3-0)
Next NU Event: Sunday, Feb. 3 -- vs. Duke (Combe Tennis Center), 11 a.m.
NASHVILLE, Tenn. -
No. 14 Northwestern was clipped for the first time in duel meet play this season as No. 21 Vanderbilt pulled out a 4-2 victory over the Wildcats on Thursday at Currey Tennis Center.
The match was tied 2-2 when singles matches at Nos. 3 and 4 each went to a third set. Unfortunately for NU, the Commodores were able to earn victories in both matches as the hosts clinched the match.
Northwestern got off to a good start as it earned the doubles point. At No. 1, the 42nd-ranked team of Linda Abu Mushrefova and Nida Hamilton took down Courtney Colton and Lauren Mira, 8-5. Belinda Niu and Kate Turvey clinched the doubles win with an 8-4 victory at No. 3 over the team of Frances Altick and Georgina Sellyn.
Turvy, ranked No. 67, was upset at No. 1 singles as she was defeated 6-4, 6-3. However, Veronica Corning gave the 'Cats a 2-1 advantage when she took down 91st-ranked Marie Casares 7-6, 6-1.
Vanderbilt evened the match again with a win by Altick at No. 5. Belinda Niu won the first set, 6-4, in her match at No. 3 before Colton bounced back to take the second set by the same score. Meanwhile, at No. 4, Brittany Wowchuk dropped the first set to Sellyn, 6-2, but took the second, 6-3. However, the decisive sets both went against NU as Niu fell 6-3 and Wowchuk was edged 7-5.
The final match between Linda Abu Mushrefova and Ashleigh Antal was abandoned one game into the third set once the match result was determined.
Northwestern faces another stiff test on Sunday as it returns home to Combe Tennis Center to take on third-ranked Duke. First serve is set for 11 a.m.
No. 14 Northwestern vs. No. 21 Vanderbilt
1. #42 Linda Abu Mushrefova/Nida Hamilton (NU) def. Courtney Colton/Lauren Mira (VU) 8-5
2. Ashleigh Antal/Marie Casares (VU) def. Veronica Corning/Alicia Barnett (NU) 8-4
3. Belinda Niu/Kate Turvy (NU) def. Frances Altick/Georgina Sellyn (VU) 8-4
Order of Finish: 2, 1, 3*
1. Lauren Mira (VU) def. #67 Kate Turvy (NU) 6-4, 6-3
2. Veronica Corning (NU) def. #91 Marie Casares (VU) 7-6 (7-3), 6-1
3. #102 Courtney Colton (VU) def. Belinda Niu (NU) 4-6, 6-4, 6-3
4. Georgina Sellyn (VU) def. Brittany Wowchuk (NU) 6-2, 3-6, 7-5
5. #115 Frances Altick (VU) def. Alicia Barnett (NU) 6-2, 6-2
6. Ashleigh Antal (VU) vs. Linda Abu Mushrefova (NU) 6-1, 4-6, 0-1, unfinished
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 5, 4, 3*
Be the first to know what's going on with the 'Cats -- Follow @NU_Sports on Twitter, become a fan of Northwestern Athletics on Facebook, subscribe to the NU Sports Express e-newsletter and sign up to receive promotional text alerts for the latest news, schedule updates and video and to interact with NU. For more information on following specific Northwestern teams online, visit our Social Media page!