Official Store

    'Cats Come Back to Tie Huskies, 1-1

    Aug 30, 2013

    Box Score

    Northeastern Northwestern 1, Northeastern 1 (2OT)
    Parsons Field • Brookline, Mass.

    Box Score  |  Box Score Get    Acrobat  Reader 


     Northwestern Women's Soccer Online
    @CatsWSoccer   |  Facebook
    Shop Soccer Gear
    Buy Tickets | Group Tickets Open PDF | Quick Facts Open PDF

    BROOKLINE, Mass.-- Northwestern began its East Coast road trip Friday and after 110 minutes of action, came back to earn the 1-1 tie with Northeastern. Junior forward Katie Landgrebe scored her first career goal in the second half to tie things up at 1-1 but neither team was able to score in extra time as the 'Cats (0-2-1) earned the tie, their first of the season.

    Northwestern had five shots in the first half, three of which were on goal. In the 28th minute, sophomore Natalie Cikos had one of the best looks of the half for the 'Cats, but her shot hit the crossbar. Sophomore goalkeeper Rachel Bergman was active in net in the first frame, defending against seven Northeastern shots and made four saves. Northeastern managed to put one past Bergman in the closing minute of the first half as Lahaina Zoller scored off a header into the lower left corner at the 44:33 mark.

    The 'Cats made a change in net to start the second half as freshman Jenna Hascher subbed in for Bergman. NU got out to a quick start to the second half as junior Kiltie Finsand fired off a shot in the opening minute that was saved by Northeastern keeper Paige Burnett for her fourth save of the match. Landgrebe had another look that was saved by Burnett and NU had three corner kick opportunities in the first 15 minutes of the frame.

    Landgrebe stayed aggressive and her next shot found the back of the net for her first career goal in the 61st minute. Senior Kate Allen dished a long pass to Landgrebe who chipped the ball past Burnett on her left side. The 'Cats continued to put the pressure on the Huskies with the 9-2 advantage on shots in the second half but couldn't break the tie and the match went to overtime, NU's second extra time match in three games.

    Northwestern added to its shot total in the first overtime with three looks while limiting the Huskies to just one shot. Neither team was able to score and the match went into a second overtime. The 'Cats had a corner kick opportunity early in the second overtime but were unable to convert. Shortly after, Northeastern had a favorable free kick opportunity but Hascher came out to make the save. Northeastern finished with the 2-1 edge on shots in the second overtime as the match ended in a 1-1 tie.

    Despite trailing 7-5 on shots after the first period, the 'Cats finished with the 18-12 clip on looks, including 10-8 advantage in shots on goal. NU also had a commanding 10-2 lead on corner kicks.

    Northwestern continues its East Coast road trip on Sunday, visiting Boston University. Match time is set for 7 p.m. CT at Nickerson Field.


    Be the first to know what's going on with the 'Cats -- Follow @NU_Sports on Twitter, become a fan of Northwestern Athletics on Facebook, subscribe to the NU Sports Express e-newsletter and sign up to receive promotional text alerts for the latest news, schedule updates and video and to interact with NU. For more information on following specific Northwestern teams online, visit our Social Media page!