Feb. 3, 2011
EVANSTON, Ill. -- Accolades are nothing new to Kelly Amonte Hiller, but now she has another one to add to her resume. Amonte Hiller was named as one of the top-20 recruiters by ESPNU and ESPN the Magazine, and is the only lacrosse coach to make the list.
Amonte Hiller checks in at 19th in the ranking, which was compiled by three dozen experts in collegiate sports and recruiting. Amonte Hiller is one of four coaches from Big Ten schools on the list, joining Penn State's Russ Rose, Ohio State's Thad Matta and Minnesota's J Robinson.
Amonte Hiller, entering her 10th season at Northwestern, has compiled an impressive 154-26 career record, as her .856 winning percentage ranks fourth all-time among women's lacrosse coaches and is first among active Division I coaches. The three-time IWLCA Coach of the Year, Amonte Hiller has guided the Wildcats to six-straight American Lacrosse Conference titles and five consecutive NCAA championships from 2005-2009, as well as a runner-up finish in 2010.
She has coached a pair of Tewaaraton Trophy winners (Kristen Kjellman in 2006 and 2007; Hannah Nielsen in 2008 and 2009) and has guided six different players to 10 Player of the Year honors. 33 players have been named IWLCA All-Americans under Amonte Hiller's tutelage with over four dozen players being named Academic All-Big Ten recipients. Two of her Wildcats (Courtney Koester in 2005 and Hilary Bowen in 2009) were also recognized as the CoSIDA Academic All-American of the Year.
Amonte Hiller has been named the ALC Coach of the Year six times and was honored as Inside Lacrosse's Person of the Year in 2008. A two-time Player of the Year at Maryland, Amonte Hiller was a three-time first team All-American for the Terrapins and was named to the NCAA Division I 25th Anniversary Team. Amonte Hiller was also inducted into the Maryland Athletics Hall of Fame in 2008, as well as the Italian-American Sports Hall of Fame.
Amonte Hiller and her Wildcats have their sights set on the upcoming 2011 season, which begins Feb. 19 at Notre Dame. Northwestern's home opener will be Friday, March 11 against California, as season tickets
for the 2011 Wildcat lacrosse season are on sale now.
ESPNU and ESPN the Magazine Top-20 Recruiters
1. Pat Henry - Texas A&M men's and women's cross country, indoor track and field
2. Anson Dorrance - North Carolina women's soccer
3. Ed Orgeron - Southern California football assistant
4. Chris Dailey - Connecticut women's basketball assistant
5. Missy Meharg - Maryland field hockey
6. Mike Krzyzewski - Duke men's basketball
7. Russ Rose - Penn State women's volleyball
8. Burton Burns - Alabama football assistant
9. Jay Clark - Georgia women's gymnastics
10. Chad Holbrook - South Carolina baseball assistant
11. Dan Jordan - Alaska rifle
12. John Calipari - Kentucky men's basketball
13. Mike McGraw - Oklahoma State men's golf
14. Jovan Vavic - Southern California men's and women's water polo
15. Thad Matta - Ohio State men's basketball
16. Kelly Inouye-Perez - UCLA softball
17. Mike LoPresti - Fairleigh Dickinson women's bowling
18. Tosh Lupoi - California football assistant
19. Kelly Amonte Hiller - Northwestern women's lacrosse
20. J Robinson - Minnesota wrestling
Be the first to know what's going on with the 'Cats! -- Follow @NU_Sports on Twitter and become a fan of Northwestern Lacrosse on Facebook! Get the latest news, schedule updates, video and interact with NU. For more information on following specific Northwestern teams online, visit our Social Media page!