May 17, 2013
2013 NCAA Championships
Dates: May 21-24, 2013
Course: University of Georgia Golf Course (Athens, Ga.)
Length: 6,372 yards • Par 72
Format: 72 holes (18 holes each day)
Watch Live: www.ncaa.com (Final two rounds)
Field: Alabama, Arizona, Arizona State, Arkansas, Auburn, Duke, Florida, Michigan State, Mississippi State, Northwestern, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Oregon, Purdue, San Jose State, South Carolina, Southern California, Stanford, Texas, Tulane, UC Davis, UCLA, Vanderbilt, Wisconsin
Individuals from Georgia, Kent State, Princeton, Tennessee, Wake Forest, Washington
Live Stats: Golfstat.com
*NU tees off round one from the 1st tee at 7:39 a.m. CT/8:39 a.m. local time Tuesday, May 21
NCAA Championship Info • NU NCAA Championship Notes
EVANSTON, Ill. – After finishing in the top eight at the NCAA East Regional, Northwestern qualified for the 2013 NCAA Women’s Golf Championships, which runs Tuesday, May 21-Friday, May 24 at the University of Georgia Golf Club in Athens, Ga.
Northwestern is making just its second appearance at the NCAA Championships in program history and first since 2000. NU entered the final round of the 2013 NCAA East Regional in 10th place and tied for the low round of the day in the final 18, carding a 4-under 284, to vault into sixth place and advance to NCAA’s. This is the first NCAA Championship appearance for head coach Emily Fletcher, who has guided NU to regionals in four of her five seasons.
As the sixth-place finisher at the East regional, the Wildcats will tee off the first round at 7:39 a.m. CT/8:39 a.m. local time from the first tee on Tuesday, May 21. NU will be paired with the sixth-place finishers from the Central and West regionals.
Fans can watch the final two rounds of the 2013 NCAA Championships via webcast on www.ncaa.com, beginning at 11 a.m. CT on Thursday, May 23. Tee-to-green coverage of holes No. 17 and No. 18 will be provided with an additional coverage of the No. 9 green also featured as warranted.
Here are some notes on Northwestern as the team heads into the 2013 NCAA Championships:
• One senior, one sophomore and three freshmen will compete for the Wildcats including senior Lauren Weaver, sophomore Hana Lee along with freshmen Kaitlin Park, Suchaya Tangkamolprasert and Elizabeth Szokol.
• A pair of freshmen, Tangkamolprasert (T-15th) and Szokol (32nd) led NU at the 2013 NCAA East Regional.
• Northwestern posted a 284 during the third round of the East regional and Mercedes Benz Collegiate, setting a new program record ... The Wildcats also had a stellar first round of the Clover Cup, shooting a 285 ... Both scores occupy the top two spots in the NU record book.
• NU’s tournament score of 874 at the East regional and Mercedes Benz Collegiate was four strokes off the program record (870) for top 54-hole team tournament scores.
• Northwestern captured its first conference title in program history, April 26-28, at the 2013 Big Ten Championships in French Lick, Ind. NU tied for first to claim a share of the title with Purdue.
• NU shot a 20-over 884 at the Big Ten Championships, which is a new conference tournament record for 54 holes.
• All six NU competitors at Big Ten’s finished inside the top 25, including a trio of players in the top 10. Freshman Kaitlin Park led the way, finishing sixth.
• Northwestern was well-represented on the 2013 Big Ten women’s golf postseason awards that were announced April 30 by the conference. Head coach Emily Fletcher was named Big Ten Coach of the Year, Kaitlin Park received Big Ten Freshman of the Year accolades and earned a spot on the All-Big Ten First Team, along with sophomore Hana Lee.
• NU has placed in the top five in five tournaments, including three of the four fall events.
• Senior Lauren Weaver will leave NU as one of the most decorated golfers in program history. She played at NCAA regionals all four years and her final tournament with the Wildcats will be at the 2013 NCAA Championships.
• Weaver holds the NU record for four-year scoring average at 75.51 (10,372 strokes/137 rounds) ... Hana Lee has a 75.44 career average (4,753 strokes/63 rounds) in two seasons.
• Weaver finished first at two tournaments during her Wildcat career, has the program record for 18 holes (66), 54 holes (208), is a two-time All-Big Ten honoree and has 11 top 10, 22 top 20 placements in her career.
• Sophomore Hana Lee has led Northwestern at two tournaments and has been even or under par at three tournaments. She was an even 219 (par-73) at the season-opening Dick McGuire Invite, went 2-under at the Mercedes Benz Collegiate Championships and 1-under at the Clover Cup.
• Lee tied a program record, carding a 6-under 66 during the first round of the Clover Cup ... Lee’s season average of 74.03 would be a single-season program record if the year ended today.
• Freshman Kaitlin Park has led NU at three tournaments, and was 1-under 215 at the Mercedes Benz Collegiate Championships ... Park was one stroke off a program record for 18 holes, shooting a 5-under 67 at the Mercdes Benz CC.
• Freshman Elizabeth Szokol has played seven events this year, but only three as part of the NU lineup. She started the spring competing as an individual and joined the NU lineup for the regular-season finale at the Lady Buckeye Invite. She posted her first career top-10 finish at Big Ten’s and had the best NU round at regionals (68), while setting a career-low for 54 holes (224).
• In total, Northwestern golfers have had 30 rounds of par or better this year. Hana Lee leads the squad with 10 of those rounds while Park has six and Weaver has four.
• As a team, Northwestern has 17 sub-300 rounds this year, including four rounds under 290.
Northwestern in the Rankings:
Golf World/WGCA: T-23 (Poll released May 8)
Be the first to know what's going on with the 'Cats -- Follow @NU_Sports on Twitter, become a fan of Northwestern Athletics on Facebook, subscribe to the NU Sports Express e-newsletter and sign up to receive promotional text alerts for the latest news, schedule updates and video and to interact with NU. For more information on following specific Northwestern teams online, visit our Social Media page!