July 9, 2014
EVANSTON, Ill.-- Prepping for a race isn't just about putting the miles in. It’s about what you are putting in your body for fuel and how to replenish what’s lost following a run.
A partner in this year’s Run for Walk, Northwestern Dining, shares a few tips for participants gearing up for the 2014 edition of the event honoring the memory of former head football coach, Randy Walker.
These training nuggets were provided by district dietician, Justin Heaton, RD LDN:
- Carbohydrates are the best fuel for working muscles! Include good carbs in your meals to be prepared for race day.
- Before the run: choose lower fiber, easy to digest carbs, like a banana, a bagel, graham crackers or a granola bar. These carbs will help give you the energy you need to get through your run.
- Stay hydrated! Water is great for hydration - drink ~ 2 cups 2 hours before running, ~ 1 cup every 20 minutes, and rehydrate well with 4 cups of water afterwards. If it's a hot day, drink more.
- After the run: recover with good carbohydrates and protein. Try chocolate milk or a sandwich with lean meat or peanut butter.
- On race day, don't try anything new! Everyone's body is different, so see what works best for you and stick with that plan.
If you have any questions about eating well and hydration for running, please contact Justin Heaton via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org
Run for Walk participants will see Northwestern Dining staffers volunteering at water stations along the course. Be sure to give them a big "Thank You" as you run by!
The 2014 Run For Walk is presented by Maxwell House, Northwestern Medicine and Whole Foods Downtown Evanston. Official event partners in addition to Fleet Feet Sports and CARA include: the City of Evanston, Athletico Physical Therapy, Evanston Running Club, Superior Ambulance Service, Chicago Athlete Magazine, Core Power and Evanston Subaru in Skokie. The registration fee for either the run or walk includes a short-sleeved technical shirt, a ticket to a nonconference home football game and entry into the race day expo. Northwestern students may register for the reduced fee of $25.
To receive more information and to register for the Run For Walk, which takes place on Sunday, July 27, please click here or on the link at the top of the page.
Be the first to know what's going on with the 'Cats -- Follow @NU_Sports on Twitter, become a fan of Northwestern Athletics on Facebook, subscribe to the NU Sports Express e-newsletter and sign up to receive promotional text alerts for the latest news, schedule updates and video and to interact with NU. For more information on following specific Northwestern teams online, visit our Social Media page!