Dec. 29, 2013
Ken Kraft Midlands Championships Brackets -- FINAL Session I Team Standings & Brackets
FINAL Session II Brackets
EVANSTON, Ill. – Northwestern redshirt freshman Jason Tsirtsis (149 lbs.) and Pat Greco (141 lbs.) advanced to the semifinals of the 51st Ken Kraft Midlands Championships, each recording wins in the Session II quarterfinals Sunday.
The 51st Midlands continue with Session III Monday, Dec. 30 at Welsh-Ryan Arena. The finals air live on the Big Ten Network Monday starting at 8 p.m. CT.
Northwestern tallied 34 points after the first two sessions, which ranks tenth in the tournament featuring 57 teams.
Northwestern Session I Highlights
After Session I of the 51st Ken Kraft Midlands Championships Sunday at Welsh-Ryan Arena, the Wildcats placed four wrestlers in the quarterfinals.
NU tallied 19.5 points in the first session, to move into ninth place in the tournament featuring 57 teams.
No. 12 seed Pat Greco (141 lbs.), redshirt freshman Jason Tsirtsis (149 lbs.), ranked No. 2 nationally, junior No. 7 seeded Pierce Harger (165 lbs.) and No. 5 seed junior Alex Polizzi (197 lbs.) advanced to the quarterfinals after Session I of the 51st Midlands.
• At 125 pounds, sophomore Garrison White got the Wildcats off to a good start with a win over a Big Ten foe, Luke Schroeder of Purdue. White notched a 6-0 decision to move into a second-round match Iowa’s third-seeded Cory Clark. Clark would defeat White, noticing a pin in 1:35.
• After winning his pigtail match to begin the day, No. 1 seed and ranked No. 2 nationally at 149 lbs, redshirt freshman Jason Tsirtsis found himself in a battle with Maryland’s Derrick Evanovich in his next bout, leading 1-0 on an escape after two periods. Tsirtsis began the third on top and successfully rode Evanovich for the first 2:20 of the frame to earn a riding time point, which was enough to hold off the Terrapin for a 2-1 victory.
• Tsirtsis advanced to the quarterfinals with a 4-0 decision over Indiana’s Neal Molloy to advance to Session II.
• Seeded No. 12 at 141 pounds, Pat Greco began his tournament against North Dakota State’s Clay Cathey and fought to a 5-4 lead in the third period. Greco remained on the attack and noted a takedown on the edge of the mat with less than a minute to go and withstood Cathey’s efforts down the stretch for a 7-5 decision victory.
• Greco earned a hard-fought upset victory over Columbia’s Matt Bystol. With a 3-1 overtime victory, the No. 12 seeded Greco defeated No. 5 Bystol.
• At 165 pounds, junior and seventh-seeded Pierce Harger moved into the second round with a 7-1 decision over Eastern Michigan’s Jake Davis. He advanced to the quarterfinals with a 7-3 win over No. 10 seed Chad Lowman, from Grand Valley.
• Junior Alex Polizzi, the No. 5 seed at 197 pounds, needed only the first period to come up with a fall of his first-round opponent, Derek Thomas of Utah Valley. He continued his advancement in the brackets with a 7-3 win over Northern Iowa’s Basil Minto to earn a spot in the quarterfinals.
• Another No. 12 seed for Northwestern, Colin Shober, suffered a first-round loss in extra time against Northern Iowa’s Tyler Patten. In the first tiebreaker period, Patten managed to turn Shober for three backpoints and he would score again in the bottom half of the frame to win by a 9-3 final score.
• Also enduring an overtime loss in the first round was Northwestern’s ninth-seeded 133-pounder Dominick Malone. Malone led George Mason’s Vince Rodriguez by a 3-1 count as the final seconds ticked down in the match, but Rodriguez notched the tying two before the third-period whistle and scored quickly at the start of overtime for a 5-3 win.
Northwestern Results -- Session I
Garrison White (NU) dec. Luke Schroeder (PU), 6-0
Cory Clark (Iowa) fall Garrison White (NU), 1:35
Vince Rodriguez (GMU) dec. No. 9 Dominick Malone (NU), 5-3 (OT)
Chasen Tolbert (UV) maj. dec. Johnny Coukos (NU)
No. 12 Pat Greco (NU) dec. Clay Cathey (N Dak St), 7-5
No. 12 Pat Greco (NU) dec. No. 5 Matt Bystol (Columbia), 3-1 (OT)
Sahid Kargbo (GMU) fall Jameson Oster (NU) (Unattached) 6:18
No. 1 Jason Tsirtsis (NU) dec. Trevor Willson (Utah Valley), 5-3
No. 1 Jason Tsirtsis (NU) dec. Derrick Evanovich (Maryland), 2-1
No. 1 Jason Tsirtsis (NU) dec. Neal Molloy (IU), 4-0
Tyler Patten (UNI) dec. Colin Shober (NU), 9-3
Seth Hazleton (Princeton) dec. David Helmer (NU), 4-3
Tyler Grimaldi (Harvard) dec. Dylan Marriott (NU), 6-2
Justin Staudenmayer (Brown) tech. fall Robert Coukos (NU), 17-0, 4:51
Zach Tower (Edinboro) major dec. Kevin Bialka (NU), 12-2
No. 7 Pierce Harger (NU) dec. Jake Davis (EMU), 7-1
No. 7 Pierce Harger (NU) dec. No. 10 Chad Lowman (GV), 7-3
Caleb Busson (NIU) dec. Mitch Sliga (NU) (Unattached), 6-3
Jacob Berkowitz (NU) dec. Scott Gibbons (Princeton), 9-5
Jimmy Sheptock (Maryland) maj. dec. Jacob Berkowitz (NU), 11-2
No. 5 Alex Polizzi (NU) fall Derek Thomas (Utah Valley), 1:58
No. 5 Alex Polizzi (NU) dec. Basil Minto (UNI), 7-3
Northwestern Session II Highlights
• No. 1 seed and ranked No. 2 nationally at 149 lbs, redshirt freshman Jason Tsirtsis his matchup against Big Ten rival Jake Short from Minnesota. Tsirtsis won a 2-0 decision to advance to the 149 lbs. semifinals. The redshirt freshman, Tsirtsis, will get another taste of Big Ten wrestling when he takes on Michigan’s Eric Grajales Monday in the semifinals. Grajales is the No. 5 seed at 149 lbs.
• At 141 lbs., No. 12 seed Pat Greco advanced to the semifinals, earning a 5-3 win against Northern Illinois’ Tyler Argue. Greco faces the 141 lbs. top seed Mitchell Port, from Edinboro in Session III Monday.
• Iowa’s Nick Moore, seeded No. 2, knocked out the Wildcats’ No. 7 seeded Pierce Harger with a 7-4 decision to advance to the semifinals.
• In a thrilling 197 lbs. quarterfinal match between No. 4 Braden Atwood from Purdue and NU’s Alex Polizzi, the match reached overtime tied at 1-1. In sudden victory, Atwood escaped with just three seconds remaining on the bottom of Polizzi to advance to the semifinals.
Northwestern Results -- Session II
(12) Pat Greco (NU) dec. Tyler Argue (NIU), 5-3
(1) Jason Tsirtsis (NU) dec. (8) Jake Short (MINN), 2-0
(2) Nick Moore (IOWA) dec. (7) Pierce Harger (NU), 7-3
(4) Braden Atwood (PUR) dec. TB1 (5) Alex Polizzi (NU), 2-1
Billy Rappo (UMD) dec. Garrison White (NU), 5-0
Kevin Norstrem (VT) dec. TB1 (9) Dominic Malone (NU), 8-5
Jameson Oster (NU-Un.) dec. Brandon Wright (Grand View), 9-7
Danny Sabatello (PUR) dec. Jameson Oster (NU-Un.), 11-8
Jacob Berkowitz (NU) dec. Mitch Sliga (NU-Un.), 7-6
Keegan Mueller (D1 Fit) dec. Jacob Berkowitz (NU), 8-4
Be the first to know what's going on with the 'Cats -- Follow @NU_Sports on Twitter, become a fan of Northwestern Athletics on Facebook, subscribe to the NU Sports Express e-newsletter and sign up to receive promotional text alerts for the latest news, schedule updates and video and to interact with NU. For more information on following specific Northwestern teams online, visit our Social Media page!