May 11, 2013
Site: Athens, Ga. (Dan Magill Tennis Complex)
Score: Georgia 4, Northwestern 0
Records: NU (22-10), Georgia (22-4)
Next NU Event: Completion of season
ATHENS, Ga. - Northwestern gave second-ranked and third-seeded Georgia a battle before eventually falling 4-0 in an NCAA tournament second-round matchup Saturday afternoon at Dan Magill Tennis Complex.
NU completes its season with a school-record 22 victories, topping the previous record of 21 by the 1981 and 1988 squads. The Bulldogs advance to the round of 16 which gets underway Friday in Urbana, Ill.
The hosts got out to the early lead as they took the doubles point thanks to victories at Nos. 1 and 2 by a pair of top-15 ranked duos. No. 5 Hernus Pieters and Ben Wagland were able to post an 8-3 win over Spencer Wolf and Alex Pasareanu at No. 1 while No. 15 Nathan Pasha and Garrett Brasseaux notched an 8-4 victory over Raleigh Smith and Mihir Kumar.
The Wildcats were able to hang right with Georgia in singles play, though. Northwestern captured a set in three of the matches and a first-set tiebreaker in another.
Straight-set victories at the Nos. 1 and 2 allowed the Bulldogs to increase their lead to 3-0, but the 'Cats played right with Georgia at he other four spots.
The Bulldogs got the decisive win at No. 3 where Austin Smith was pushed to the limit by Sidarth Balaji. The NU senior dropped his first set 6-1 but responded to take the second 6-4. However, Smith was able to close out the match with a tight 6-4 win in the decisive set.
At No. 4, Kumar took the first set from 115th-ranked Pieters, 6-4, before the Bulldog took the second set 6-3. Kumar led 2-1 in the third set when the match was abandoned.
Senior Chris Jackman, who posted the dramatic comeback three-set win in Friday's victory by Northwestern over Wake Forest, took his first set from Marco Nunez 7-5 and trailed 4-5 in the third when their matchup was halted.
Pasareanu battled toe-to-toe with Brasseaux at No. 5, dropping the first set in a tiebreaker 7-6 (3) while the second set was 3-2 when the Bulldogs clinched the match.
#2 Georgia 4, #36 Northwestern 0
1. #5 Hernus Pieters/Ben Wagland (UGA) def. Alex Pasareanu/Spencer Wolf (NU), 8-3
2. #15 Garrett Brasseaux/Nathan Pasha (UGA) def. Mihir Kumar/Raleigh Smith (NU), 8-4
3. Eric Diaz/Marco Nunez (UGA) vs. Sidarth Balaji/Chris Jackman (NU), 6-4, unfinished
Order of finish: 1, 2*
1. #33 Ben Wagland (UGA) def. Spencer Wolf (NU), 6-3, 6-4
2. #47 Nathan Pasha (UGA) def. #87 Raleigh Smith (NU), 6-2, 6-3
3. Austin Smith (UGA) def. Sidarth Balaji (NU), 6-1, 4-6, 6-4
4. #115 Hernus Pieters (UGA) vs. Mihir Kumar (NU), 4-6, 6-3, 1-2, unfinished
5. Garrett Brasseaux (UGA) vs. Alex Pasareanu (NU), 7-6(3), 3-2, unfinished
6. Marco Nunez (UGA) vs. Chris Jackman (NU), 5-7, 5-4, unfinished
Order of finish: 1, 2, 3*
Be the first to know what's going on with the 'Cats -- Follow @NU_Sports on Twitter, become a fan of Northwestern Athletics on Facebook, subscribe to the NU Sports Express e-newsletter and sign up to receive promotional text alerts for the latest news, schedule updates and video and to interact with NU. For more information on following specific Northwestern teams online, visit our Social Media page!