Apr. 26, 2014
EAST LANSING, Mich. -- No. 32 and fifth-seeded Northwestern bowed out of the Big Ten Tournament after a 4-0 loss to No. 2 and top-seeded Ohio State in the semifinals. The Buckeyes will face No. 12 Illinois or No. 43 Michigan in the finals on Sunday. The `Cats end a nine-match winning streak and are now 21-10 on the season.
Like in their regular season meeting, doubles competition was fierce, but the Buckeyes ultimately prevailed at No. 1 and 3 to take the point. Sophomore Fedor Baev and freshman Strong Kirchheimer saw their six-match winning streak come to an end with an 8-5 loss at No. 3, and the 57th-ranked pair of Peter Kobelt and Ralf Steinbach edged 28th-ranked senior Raleigh Smith and sophomore Mihir Kumar 8-6 at No. 1.
Freshman Sam Shropshire and junior Alex Pasareanu were knotted 7-7 at No. 2 against OSU's Herkko Pollanen and Kevin Metka when the match was abandoned.
In singles play, Metka bested Pasareanu 6-1, 6-3 at the sixth spot, breaking Pasareanu's nine-match winning streak and giving OSU its second point. No. 7 Kobelt then topped No. 46 Smith 6-3, 6-2 at No. 1. Like Smith, Kobelt is a 2014 First-Team All-Big Ten selection.
No. 123 Hunter Callahan secured the match-deciding fourth point with a 6-3, 6-4 victory over Kirchheimer at No. 5. The loss snaps Kirchheimer's incredible twelve-match winning streak, which he had maintained since early March.
Northwestern now awaits a bid to the 2014 NCAA Championships, which will be announced on Tuesday, April 29. The `Cats went to the second round of the NCAA's last year. They beat Wake Forest 4-3 in the opening round, but lost to No. 2 and third-seeded Georgia in the following contest.
For more information on the Big Ten Tournament, visit the tournament page
#2 Ohio State 4, #32 Northwestern 0
1. #57 Peter Kobelt / Ralf Steinbach (OSU) def. #28 Raleigh Smith / Mihir Kumar (NU) 8-6
2. Sam Shropshire / Alex Pasareanu (NU) vs. Herkko Pollanen / Kevin Metka(OSU) 7-7 (unfinished)
3. Hunter Callahan / Chris Diaz (OSU) def. Fedor Baev / Strong Kirchheimer (NU) 8-5
Order of finish: 3, 1*
1. #7 Peter Kobelt (OSU) def. #46 Raleigh Smith (NU) 6-3, 6-2
2. #120 Sam Shropshire (NU) vs. #97 Herkko Pollanen (OSU) 4-6, 3-4 (unfinished)
3. Konrad Zieba (NU) vs. Ralf Steinbach (OSU) 6-7 (3-7), 3-5 (unfinished)
4. Mihir Kumar (NU) vs. Chris Diaz (OSU) 6-1, 4-6, 2-3 (unfinished)
5. #123 Hunter Callahan (OSU) def. Strong Kirchheimer (NU) 6-3, 6-4
6. Kevin Metka (OSU) def. Alex Pasareanu (NU) 6-1, 6-3
Order of finish: 6, 1, 5*
Be the first to know what's going on with the 'Cats -- Follow @NU_Sports on Twitter, become a fan of Northwestern Athletics on Facebook, subscribe to the NU Sports Express e-newsletter and sign up to receive promotional text alerts for the latest news, schedule updates and video and to interact with NU. For more information on following specific Northwestern teams online, visit our Social Media page!