April 21, 2013
2013 Big Ten Tournament Bracket (PDF)
Site: Bloomington, Ind. (IU Varsity Courts)
Score: No. 34 Northwestern 6, No. 53 Indiana 1
Records: NU (19-8, 6-5 Big Ten), Indiana (16-13, 6-5 Big Ten)
Next NU Event: Thursday, April 25 - vs. Iowa, Big Ten Tournament (Columbus, Ohio), 10 a.m. CT
BLOOMINGTON, Ind. -- No. 34 Northwestern was impressive in its regular-season, rolling to a 6-1 victory over No. 53 Indiana Sunday afternoon.
The Wildcats got off to a good start as they rallied to win the doubles point. NU was edged 8-5 at No. 1 in the first match to finish, but the visitors got victories by the same score from Mihir Kumar and Raleigh Smith at No. 2 and Sidarth Balaji and Chris Jackman at No. 3 to take the lead.
Northwestern was dominant in singles competition as Spencer Wolf, Mihir Kumar, Alex Pasareanu and Chris Jackman all surrendered just six games or less in their straight-set wins.
Pasareanu was the first to finish as he made it 2-0 in NU's favor with a commanding 6-2, 6-1 win over Daniel Bednarczyk. Indiana closed to within 2-1 with a win at No. 3, but the 'Cats took control.
Jackman's 6-4, 6-1 win at No. 6 over Chris Essick brought Northwestern within one match of the win before Kumar clinched it with his easy 6-1, 6-2 victory over Dimitrije Tasic at No. 4.
Wolf added a 6-2, 6-4 win at No. 1 over Josh MacTaggert before Smith, ranked 83rd, rallied back from a set down to defeat 104th-ranked Sam Monette in a superbreaker, winning 4-6, 6-1, 1-0 (10-4).
Northwestern next travels to Columbus, Ohio, for the Big Ten tournament. Action gets underway Thursday as the fifth-seeded Wildcats take on 12th-seeded Iowa at 10 a.m. Central time.
#34 Northwestern 6, #53 Indiana 1
1. #19 Isade Juneau/Sam Monette (IND) def. #79 Alex Pasareanu/Spencer Wolf (NU) 8-5
2. Mihir Kumar/Raleigh Smith (NU) def. Josh MacTaggart/Daniel Bednarczyk (IND) 8-5
3. Sidarth Balaji/Chris Jackman (NU) def. Dimitrije Tasic/Chris Essick (IND) 8-5
Order of finish: 1, 2, 3*
1. Spencer Wolf (NU) def. Josh MacTaggart (IND) 6-2, 6-4
2. #83 Raleigh Smith (NU) def. #104 Sam Monette (IND) 4-6, 6-1, 1-0 (10-4)
3. Isade Juneau (IND) def. Sidarth Balaji (NU) 6-4, 6-4
4. Mihir Kumar (NU) def. Dimitrije Tasic (IND) 6-1, 6-2
5. Alex Pasareanu (NU) def. Daniel Bednarczyk (IND) 6-2, 6-1
6. Chris Jackman (NU) def. Chris Essick (IND) 6-4, 6-1
Order of finish: 5, 3, 6, 4, 1, 2
Be the first to know what's going on with the 'Cats -- Follow @NU_Sports on Twitter, become a fan of Northwestern Athletics on Facebook, subscribe to the NU Sports Express e-newsletter and sign up to receive promotional text alerts for the latest news, schedule updates and video and to interact with NU. For more information on following specific Northwestern teams online, visit our Social Media page!