April 12, 2013
Site: Evanston, Ill. (Combe Tennis Center)
Score: No. 34 Northwestern 5, Penn State 2
Records: NU (18-7, 4-4 Big Ten), Penn State (8-13, 2-6 Big Ten)
Next NU Event: Sunday, April 14 - vs. Ohio State (Vandy Christie Tennis Center), Noon
EVANSTON, Ill. -
No. 34 Northwestern made its long-awaited return home a successful one as the Wildcats defeated Penn State 5-2 Friday evening at Combe Tennis Center.
The contest was NU's first home match since March 10.
The Wildcats surged out to the early lead thanks to a victory in doubles. The 68th-ranked team of Spencer Wolf and Alex Pasareanu took care of business at the No. 1 spot as they rolled to an 8-3 win. The No. 2 pairing of Raleigh Smith and Mihir Kumar helped Northwestern capture the doubles point with their 8-4 win.
NU set the tone early in singles play as all six Wildcats won their opening set. Sidarth Balaji was the first 'Cat to finish as he took care of Matt Barry 6-3, 6-2 at No. 3 to put the host in front 2-0.
It didn't take Northwestern much longer to clinch the match as Pasareanu earned a 6-4, 6-2 win over Roman Trkulja at No. 5 before Kumar finished off his dominating performance at the No. 4 spot with a 6-0, 6-2 triumph over C.J. Griffin.
Chris Jackman gave NU one final victory as he continued his winning ways with a 7-6, 6-1 defeat of Ramy Labna at No. 6.
The Nittany Lions would get on the board after the match was decided as Russell Bader and Tomas Hanzlik rallied for three-set wins at Nos. 1 and 2, respectively.
Northwestern returns to action at noon Sunday as it hosts fifth-ranked Ohio State outdoors at Vandy Christie Tennis Center. In case of inclement weather, the match will be played indoors at Combe Tennis Center.
#34 Northwestern 5, Penn State 2
1. #68 Spencer Wolf/Alex Pasareanu (NU) def. Russell Bader/Guanhua Chen (PSU) 8-3
2. Raleigh Smith/Mihir Kumar (NU) def. Tomas Hanzlik/Matt Barry (PSU) 8-4
3. Chris Young/Roman Trkulja (PSU) def. Sidarth Balaji/Chris Jackman (NU) 8-5
Order of finish: 1, 2*, 3
1. Russell Bader (PSU) def. Spencer Wolf (NU) 4-6, 6-4, 6-3
2. Tomas Hanzlik (PSU) def. Raleigh Smith (NU) 3-6, 7-6 (8-6), 1-0 (11-9)
3. Sidarth Balaji (NU) def. Matt Barry (PSU) 6-3, 6-2
4. Mihir Kumar (NU) def. C.J. Griffin (PSU) 6-0, 6-2
5. Alex Pasareanu (NU) def. Roman Trkulja (PSU) 6-4, 6-2
6. Chris Jackman (NU) def. Ramy Labna (PSU) 7-6 (8-6), 6-1
Order of finish: 3, 5, 4*, 6, 1, 2
Be the first to know what's going on with the 'Cats -- Follow @NU_Sports on Twitter, become a fan of Northwestern Athletics on Facebook, subscribe to the NU Sports Express e-newsletter and sign up to receive promotional text alerts for the latest news, schedule updates and video and to interact with NU. For more information on following specific Northwestern teams online, visit our Social Media page!