Apr. 11, 2014
LINCOLN, Neb. -- No. 34 Northwestern bested Nebraska 5-2 on Friday to begin its last slate of road trips of the regular season. With their fourth straight victory, the `Cats improve to 16-9 overall and an even 4-4 in Big Ten play.
The Huskers jumped on the board first by securing the doubles point. Nebraska's duo at No. 2 won 8-2 to begin competition, but sophomore Fedor Baev and freshman Strong Kirchheimer then evened the score with an 8-6 win at No. 3. The deciding match at No. 1 was very close, but the Huskers were able to achieve an 8-6 win to go up 1-0.
Despite the early deficit, the `Cats were able to prevail in four straight singles matches to secure the victory. No. 125 Sam Shropshire gave Northwestern its first point with a 6-4, 6-1 win at No. 2, notching the freshman's eighth win in an eleven-match unbeaten streak.
Junior Alex Pasareanu put the Wildcats up with a 6-2, 6-4 victory at No. 6, and freshman Strong Kirchheimer increased the Northwestern advantage with a 6-3, 7-6 (7-5) triumph at No. 5. It was Kirchheimer's sixth win in as many matches, and his eighth in his last nine singles appearances.
Senior Raleigh Smith clinched the Wildcat win at No. 1, a much needed 6-3, 7-5 victory to snap a recent losing streak. With the match decided, the Huskers gained another point at No. 3, where Tom Blackwell beat freshman Konrad Zieba in three sets. Sophomore Mihir Kumar endured a tough second set at No. 4, which he lost 11-13 in the tiebreaker, but was able to win the super-breaker 10-6 to get the fifth point for Northwestern.
The Wilddcats finish their regular season travels on Sunday, when they face Iowa at noon.
#34 Northwestern 5, #62 Nebraska 2
1. Brandon Videtich / Bradford Zitsch (NEB) def. #23 Raleigh Smith / Mihir Kumar (NU) 8-6
2. Dusty Boyer / Marc Herrmann (NEB) def. Konrad Zieba / Sam Shropshire (NU) 8-2
3. Fedor Baev / Strong Kirchheimer (NU) vs. Scott Elsass / Tom Blackwell (NEB) 8-6
Order of finish: 2, 3, 1*
1. #54 Raleigh Smith (NU) def. Dusty Boyer (NEB) 6-3, 7-5
2. #125 Sam Shropshire (NU) def. Marc Herrmann (NEB) 6-4, 6-1
3. Tom Blackwell (NEB) def. Konrad Zieba (NU) 3-6, 6-4, 6-1
4. Mihir Kumar (NU) def. Andrew Dzulynsky (NEB) 6-3, 6-7 (11-13), 1-0 (10-6)
5. Strong Kirchheimer (NU) def. Vasileios Stavropoulos (NEB) 6-3, 7-6 (7-5)
6. Alex Pasareanu (NU) def. Brandon Videtich (NEB) 6-2, 6-4
Order of finish: 2, 6, 5, 1*, 3, 4