April 2, 2010
EAST LANSING, Mich. -- Northwestern (9-7, 1-2) notched its first conference victory of the season with a 6-1 defeat of Michigan State (11-8, 0-4) Friday afternoon. NU won seven of the nine matches and looks to continue its momentum into Saturday's match against the Michigan Wolverines.
Michigan State jumped out to an early lead, taking No. 2 doubles with a Jason Norville and Joe Vallee win over Joshua Graves (Milwaukee, Wis./Nicolet) and Spencer Wolf (Coral Springs, Fla./Laurel Springs). The Wildcats then stormed back with wins at No. 3 and No. 1.
Tobias Reitz (Reinbeck, Germany/Sachsenwaldschule Reinbeck) and Andrew McCarthy (Cincinnati, Ohio/Indian Hill) clinched the point for the 'Cats with an 8-5 win over Austin Brooks and John Stratton at No. 1.
Sidarth Balaji (Fairfax, Va./Fairfax) added to NU's lead with a 6-2, 6-3 win at No. 3 over the Spartans' Denis Bogatov. The NU freshman has won five of his last six matches.
Northwestern built a 3-0 lead behind a 6-1, 6-2 victory by 84th-ranked Joshua Graves over Austin Brooks at No. 1. The Wildcat sophomore is tied for the team lead in wins with Balaji and Spencer Wolf.
Wolf clinched it for the 'Cats with a straight sets win at No. 4 over the Spartans' Jason Norville. Sanborn made it 5-0 with a straight sets win at No. 5 over Stratton. The two players fought for the first set in a tiebreak, but the Wildcat senior came out on top and followed it up with a 6-3 second frame.
At No. 6, Reitz notched his third consecutive singles victory with a topsy-turvy win over the Spartans' Will Davis that was decided by a match tiebreak, 11-9.
The 'Cats lone singles loss came at No. 2, where McCarthy lost to Ronnie Hulewicz in two close sets.
Northwestern continues its road trip at Michigan Saturday afternoon; play is set to begin at 12 p.m. CT.
No. 48 Northwestern 6, Michigan State 1
1. Tobias Reitz/Andrew McCarthy (NU) def. Austin Brooks/John Stratton (MSU): 8-5
2. Jason Norville/Joe Vallee (MSU) def. Joshua Graves/Spencer Wolf (NU): 8-3
3. Alex Sanborn/Eric Spector (NU) def. Clark Richardson/Denis Bogatov (MSU): 8-4
1. Joshua Graves (NU) def. Austin Brooks (MSU): 6-1, 6-2
2. Ronnie Hulewicz (MSU) def. Andrew McCarthy (NU): 7-5, 6-3
3. Sidarth Balaji (NU) def. Denis Bogatov (MSU) : 6-2, 6-3
4. Spencer Wolf (NU) def. Jason Norville (MSU): 6-2, 6-3
5. Alex Sanborn (NU) def. John Stratton (MSU): 7-6(6), 6-3
6. Tobias Reitz (NU) def. Will Davis (MSU): 7-6, 4-6, 11-9
Order of Finish: Doubles (2,3,1) Singles (3,1,4,5,6,2)