March 31, 2013
Site: Madison, Wis. (Nielsen Tennis Center)
Score: No. 26 Northwestern 5, No. 70 Wisconsin 2
Records: NU (17-5, 3-2 Big Ten), Wisconsin (10-7, 1-4 Big Ten)
Next NU Event: Saturday, April 6 - at Michigan State (East Lansing, Mich.), 11 a.m.
MADISON, Wis. -- No. 26 Northwestern won five of six singles matches as it defeated No. 70 Wisconsin 5-2 at Nielsen Tennis Stadium on Sunday.
The hosts took the early lead as they posted wins at No. 1 and 3 to take the doubles point. The Wildcats' No. 2 pairing of Mihir Kumar and Spencer Wolf notched an 8-6 win, but it wasn't enough as NU fell behind.
However, Northwestern was dominant in singles play as all five of the team's victories were in straight sets. Kumar evened the match 1-1 when he finished off Alexander Kokorev 6-2, 6-1 at No. 4.
The Wildcats took the lead for good when Sidarth Balaji defeated Oskar Wikberg 6-2, 6-3 at No. 3 before Raleigh Smith made it 3-1 with an easy 6-1, 6-1 win at No. 2 over Alexander Kostanov.
Chris Jackman clinched the win for the guests at No. 6, winning his 10th straight match as he defeated Frederik Strabo 6-3, 6-4. Wolf earned one final victory for Northwestern at the top position, knocking off Petr Satral 6-3, 6-4.
In the only match to go longer than two sets, Alex Pasareanu was clipped by Jakhongir Jalalov in a superbreaker 6-2, 3-6, 1-0 (10-8).
NU returns to action at 11 a.m. CT Saturday as it remains on the road, traveling to Michigan State.
#26 Northwestern 5, #70 Wisconsin 2
1. Billy Bertha/Alexander Kostanov (WIS) def. Sidarth Balaji/Raleigh Smith (NU) 8-5
2. Mihir Kumar/Spencer Wolf (NU) def. Alexander Kokorev/Petr Satral (WIS) 8-6
3. Jakhongir Jalalov/Oskar Wikberg (WIS) def. Fedor Baev/Alex Pasareanu (NU) 8-5
Order of finish: 1, 3*, 2
1. Spencer Wolf (NU) def. Petr Satral (WIS) 6-3, 6-4
2. Raleigh Smith (NU) def. Alexander Kostanov (WIS) 6-1, 6-1
3. Sidarth Balaji (NU) def. Oskar Wikberg (WIS) 6-2, 6-3
4. Mihir Kumar (NU) def. Alexander Kokorev (WIS) 6-2, 6-1
5. Jakhongir Jalalov (WIS) def. Alex Pasareanu (NU) 6-2, 3-6, 1-0 (10-8)
6. Chris Jackman (NU) def. Frederik Strabo (WIS) 6-3, 6-4
Order of finish: 4, 3, 2, 6*, 1, 5
Be the first to know what's going on with the 'Cats -- Follow @NU_Sports on Twitter, become a fan of Northwestern Athletics on Facebook, subscribe to the NU Sports Express e-newsletter and sign up to receive promotional text alerts for the latest news, schedule updates and video and to interact with NU. For more information on following specific Northwestern teams online, visit our Social Media page!