Mar. 30, 2014
UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. -- No. 28 Northwestern battled in another tough road match at No. 23 Penn State, but fell short as the Nittany Lions took the 4-3 win. The lengthy contest stretched for nearly four and a half hours.
PSU secured the doubles point to jump ahead 1-0, as both of its ranked duos won at No. 1 and 2. Freshman Strong Kirchheimer and sophomore Fedor Baev were knotted 7-7 with their opponents at No. 3 before play discontinued.
No. 50 Leonard Stakhovsky added another point for the Lions in beating No. 37 senior Raleigh Smith 6-2, 6-2. No. 113 freshman Sam Shropshire then got the ‘Cats on the board with a 7-6, 6-4 win at No. 2. Shropshire has not lost a singles match in his last seven appearances, five of which have been outright wins.
Penn State pulled within one of the victory as freshman Konrad Zieba fell 6-3, 7-6 (8-6) at No. 3, but classmate Strong Kirchheimer kept the ‘Cats close with a 6-1, 6-3 triumph at No. 5.
However, Matt Barry was able to overcome sophomore Mihir Kumar at No. 4, prevailing in a close three-set match 7-6 (12-10), 3-6, 6-4 to claim the win for PSU. Junior Alex Pasareanu still finished out at No. 6 with a tiebreaker, winning 3-6, 6-4, 1-0 (10-7) to tally the Wildcats’ third point.
Northwestern returns to the Combe Tennis Center for a full home slate next weekend, starting with Michigan at 2:30 p.m. on Friday. Michigan State arrives for a noon match on Sunday, and non-conference opponent IUPUI will round out Sunday night at 7 p.m. NU is currently 9-2 in Evanston.
#23 Penn State 4, #28 Northwestern 3
1. #28 Russell Bader/Leonard Stakhovsky (PSU) def. Raleigh Smith/Sam Shropshire (NU) 8-5
2. #54 Michael Reilly/Chris Young (PSU) def. Mihir Kumar/Konrad Zieba (NU) 8-2
3. Strong Kirchheimer/Fedor Baev (NU) vs. David Kohan/ChristianLutschaunig (PSU) 7-7 (unfinished)
Order of finish: 2, 1*
1. #50 Leonard Stakhovsky (PSU) def. #37 Raleigh Smith (NU) 6-2, 6-2
2. #113 Sam Shropshire (NU) def. Russell Bader (PSU) 7-6 (7-3), 6-4
3. Alex Fennell (PSU) def. Konrad Zieba (NU) 6-3, 7-6 (8-6)
4. Matt Barry (PSU) def. Mihir Kumar (NU) 7-6 (12-10), 3-6, 6-4>
5. Strong Kirchheimer (NU) def. Roman Trkulja (PSU) 6-1, 6-3
6. Alex Pasareanu (NU) def. Michael Reilly (PSU) 3-6, 6-4, 1-0 (10-7)
Order of finish: 1, 2, 3, 5, 4*, 6
Be the first to know what's going on with the 'Cats -- Follow @NU_Sports on Twitter, become a fan of Northwestern Athletics on Facebook, subscribe to the NU Sports Express e-newsletter and sign up to receive promotional text alerts for the latest news, schedule updates and video and to interact with NU. For more information on following specific Northwestern teams online, visit our Social Media page!