March 25, 2008
BEAUMONT, Texas -- Northwestern took the doubles point and lost only one match at singles to earn a 6-1 victory over Lamar on Tuesday. The Wildcats improve to 7-9 in dual action this season and look to continue their success heading into the remaining Big Ten schedule.
At No. 1 doubles, the duo of Marc Dwyer (Peachtree City, Ga./Independent Study H.S.) and Alex Sanborn (Houston, Texas/Kinkaid) continued to find success together with a dominating 8-2 victory. A 9-8 win at No. 3 by Andrew McCarthy (Cincinnati, Ohio/Indian Hill) and David Seyferth (Ann Arbor, Mich./Ann Arbor Pioneer) secured the 1-0 lead for the Wildcats going into singles play.
Freshman Peter Rispoli (Naples, Fla./St. Stephens (Texas)) continued to make an impact at No. 4, taking his match 6-2, 6-2 and giving Northwestern a 2-0 advantage.
Alexander Thams (Stockholm, Sweden/Enskilda Gymnasiet) and David Seyferth each clinched their respective matches in three sets, sealing the match for the Wildcats with a 4-0 lead for the day.
After finding himself in an early hole, Sanborn continues to gain momentum at the No. 2 position this season. The team captain helped lead the way today by locking in a 4-6, 6-0, 6-2 victory.
Andrew McCarthy was the only 'Cat to fall in singles, in a hard-fought match that ended in a 2-6, 7-6, 1-0 (8) win for Lamar. Dwyer closed out the day giving Northwestern the 6-1 match victory after winning his match at No. 1, 6-4, 2-6, 6-1.
The final seven duals of the season will all come against Big Ten opponents in a crucial stretch for the Wildcats.
Northwestern hosts the first of those matches this weekend, when it welcomes 17th-ranked Illinois to the Combe Tennis Center at noon on Saturday, March 29.
1. Marc Dwyer (NU) def. Filip Kanczula (LAM) 6-4, 2-6, 6-1
2. Alex Sanborn (NU) def. Maciej Bogusz (LAM) 4-6, 6-0, 6-2
3. Alexander Thams (NU) def. Mario Janjic (LAM) 6-4, 0-6, 6-4
4. Peter Rispoli (NU) def. Diego Snyder (LAM) 6-2, 6-2
5. Allan Gomes (LAM) def. Andrew McCarthy (NU) 6-2, 6-7, 1-0 (10-8)
6. David Seyferth (NU) def. David Wanja (LAM) 7-5, 4-6, 6-2
1. Marc Dwyer/Alex Sanborn (NU) def. Maciej Bogusz/Filip Kanczula (LAM) 8-2
2. Allan Gomes/Diego Snyder (LAM) def. Peter Rispoli/Alexander Thams (NU) 9-7
3. Andrew McCarthy/David Seyferth (NU) def. Mario Janjic/David Wanja (LAM) 9-8
Order of finish
Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (4,3,6,2,5,1)