Mar. 7, 2014
WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. -- The Wildcats went to the wire on Friday night once again, this time on the road against No. 54 Purdue. Though No. 24 Northwestern sparked an exciting and impressive comeback, the Boilermakers were able to power through and achieve the 4-3 upset. Northwestern falls to 10-7 on the season while Purdue extends its win streak to six.
The Boilermakers started strong in doubles, claiming consecutive wins at No. 1 and 2 to jump up 1-0. Freshman Strong Kirchheimer and sophomore Fedor Baev were leading their Purdue opponents 5-4 when play discontinued.
Returning from an injury, freshman Konrad Zieba played at No. 3 in his first match since Vanderbilt over a month ago. Zieba competed well in the first set, but his opponent Mark Kovacs ultimately won 6-4, 6-1 to give Purdue another point.
The ‘Cats then sparked a comeback in the top two flights. No. 44 senior Raleigh Smith defeated Ricky Medinilla in three lop-sided sets 6-2, 1-6, 6-2 in the first slot, and No. 85 Shropshire took down Symon Tatarczyck 6-3, 6-1 a few minutes later at No. 2.
With the score evened, the rest of the matches pushed to three sets. Purdue regained its lead 3-2 at No. 4, where Aaron Dujovne came from a first set deficit to overcome sophomore Mihir Kumar 5-7, 6-3, 6-0.
The third frames at both No. 5 and 6 were suspenseful and extremely tight. Down early 0-3 in the final set, freshman Strong Kirchheimer excitingly rallied back to win five straight games to secure a third point and keep the 'Cats in competition.
At No. 6, junior Alex Pasareanu
had dropped the first set but balanced it with a second frame triumph. He and his opponent Mateus Silva traded games throughout the final frame, but Silva managed the timely and important break to prevail 6-4, 3-6, 7-5 and give Purdue the win.
Northwestern returns home on Sunday to host No. 57 Indiana at noon and UIC at 7:30 p.m.
#54 Purdue 4, #24 Northwestern 3
1. Diego Acosta / Aaron Dujovne (PUR) def. #21 Raleigh Smith / Mihir Kumar (NU) 8-3
2. Szymon Tatarczyk / Ricky Medinilla (PUR) def. Sam Shorpshire / Alp Horoz (NU) 8-3
3. Fedor Baev / Strong Kirchheimer (NU) vs. Mateus Silva / Mark Kovacs (PUR) 5-4 (unfinished)
Order of finish: 1, 2*
1. #44 Raleigh Smith (NU) def. Ricky Medinilla (PUR) 6-2, 1-6, 6-2
2. #85 Sam Shropshire (NU) def. Syzmon Tatarczyk (PUR) 6-3, 7-5
3. Mark Kovacs (PUR) def. Konrad Zieba (NU) 6-4, 6-1
4. Aaron Dujovne (PUR) def. Mihir Kumar (NU) 5-7, 6-3, 6-0
5. Strong Kirchheimer (NU) def. Diego Acosta (PUR) 5-7, 6-4, 6-4
6. Mateus Silva (PUR) def. Alex Pasareanu (NU) 6-4, 3-6, 7-5
Order of finish: 3, 1, 2, 4, 5, 6*
Be the first to know what's going on with the 'Cats -- Follow @NU_Sports on Twitter, become a fan of Northwestern Athletics on Facebook, subscribe to the NU Sports Express e-newsletter and sign up to receive promotional text alerts for the latest news, schedule updates and video and to interact with NU. For more information on following specific Northwestern teams online, visit our Social Media page!