Mar. 2, 2014
EVANSTON, Ill. -- No. 23 Northwestern opened Big Ten competition to a full crowd as the `Cats took on in-state rival No. 7 Illinois. NU played some really good tennis in many toe-to-toe rallies, but the top-ten Illini emerged the victors in the end, 4-1. Freshman Alp Horoz gained his sixth singles win of the season.
The Illini won a close set of doubles matches to go up 1-0. Play at No. 1 began very evenly as No. 21 Kumar and Smith traded games with No. 4 Kopinski and Guignon. However, the Illini achieved the break halfway through and rode the momentum to win 8-4.
Freshman Strong Kirchheimer and sophomore Fedor Baev then won at No. 3 to level the score. The duo broke their Illinois opponents in the first game, and did not let up in their 8-4 triumph.
In the deciding match at No. 2, the freshmen team of Sam Shropshire and Alp Horoz had battled back from an early break, but Illinois ultimately prevailed 8-6 to capture the point.
Illinois clinched back-to-back victories in singles play to increase its advantage by two. No. 23 Farris Gosea overpowered No. 44 Smith 6-2, 6-1 in the first spot, and Blake Bazarnik beat Kirchheimer 6-3, 6-3 in the fourth just seconds later.
Freshman Alp Horoz achieved a Wildcat point with a 6-4, 6-4 victory at No. 6 to reward the purple crowd. However, Illinois clinched the victory at No. 3, where Ross Guignon outlasted Kumar in a nearly break-less match, 7-6 (7-2), 7-5.
With the match determined, play discontinued at No. 2 and 6. No. 85 Shropshire had overcome a first frame loss to claim the second, and was serving down 5-6 in the third against No. 33 Kopinski. Pasareanu was also in the third set, leading 3-0.
The `Cats continue conference competition with a trip to Purdue on Friday, where they play at 1 p.m. They then return to Evanston next Sunday to host Indiana at noon.
#7 Illinois 4, #23 Northwestern 1
1. #4 Ross Guignon / Tim Kopinski (ILL) def. #21 Mihir Kumar / Raleigh Smith (NU) 8-4
2. Farris Gosea / Alex Jesse (ILL) def. Alp Horoz / Sam Shropshire (NU) 8-6
3. Fedor Baev / Strong Kirchheimer (NU) def. Blake Bazarnik / Julian Childers (ILL) 8-4
Order of finish: 1, 3, 2*
1. #23 Farris Gosea (ILL) def. #44 Raleigh Smith (NU) 6-2, 6-1
2. #85 Sam Shropshire (NU) vs. #33 Tim Kopinski (ILL) 4-6, 6-3, 5-6 (unfinished)
3. Ross Guignon (ILL) def. Mihir Kumar (NU) 7-6 (7-2), 7-5
4. Blake Bazarnik (ILL) def. Strong Kirchheimer (NU) 6-3, 6-3
5. Alex Pasareanu (NU) vs. Julian Childers (ILL) 6-4, 2-6, 3-0 (unfinished)
6. Alp Horoz (NU) def. Alex Jesse (ILL) 6-4, 6-4
Order of finish: 1, 4, 6, 3*
Be the first to know what's going on with the 'Cats -- Follow @NU_Sports on Twitter, become a fan of Northwestern Athletics on Facebook, subscribe to the NU Sports Express e-newsletter and sign up to receive promotional text alerts for the latest news, schedule updates and video and to interact with NU. For more information on following specific Northwestern teams online, visit our Social Media page!