Feb. 28, 2014
LOUSIVILLE, Ky. -- Despite a strong showing from senior Raleigh Smith, No. 23 Northwestern fell 5-2 to No. 38 Louisville on Friday. Smith and freshman Sam Shropshire won points for the 'Cats.
To start doubles competition, the No. 21 duo of Smith and sophomore Mihir Kumar made a statement with their new national ranking in winning 8-0 at No. 1.
The matches at No. 2 and 3 were much more competitive, and ultimately went in Louisville’s favor. The Cardinals edged sophomore Fedor Baev and freshman Strong Kirchheimer 8-6 at the third slot, and then claimed an 8-7 victory over freshmen Alp Horoz and Shropshire at No. 2 to secure the point.
Louisville gained another point at No. 5 in singles play, where Van Damrongsri defeated junior Alex Pasareanu 6-2, 6-3. The ‘Cats then got on the board with a solid performance from No. 44 Smith, who beat Sebastian Stiefelmeyer 6-4, 6-1.
However, the Cardinals sealed their victory at No. 3 and 4. Kumar fell 6-3, 6-4 to Chris Simich, and Kirchheimer gave up the point to Alex Gornet 6-3, 6-3.
Play finished at No. 2 and 6. Louisville’s Michael Lippens defeated Horoz 6-2, 7-5 at No. 6 to pull the Cards ahead 5-1. However, No. 85 Shropshire came back from a first frame deficit to win the second set, and ultimately won the tie breaker to win 4-6, 7-5, 1-0 (10-4) and post the final score of 5-2.
Northwestern returns to Evanston on Sunday to host its Big Ten opener against Illinois. The contest begins at 3 p.m.
#38 Louisville 5, #23 Northwestern 2
1. #21 Mihir Kumar / Raleigh Smith (NU) def. Sebastian Stiefelmeyer / Van Damrongsri (LOU) 8-0
2. Albert Wagner / Chris Simich (LOU) def. Alp Horoz / Sam Shropshire (NU) 8-7
3. Alex Gornet / Jeffrey Brown (LOU) def. Fedor Baev / Strong Kirchheimer (NU) 8-6
Order of finish: 1, 3, 2*
1. #44 Raleigh Smith (NU) def. Sebastian Stiefelmeyer (LOU) 6-4, 6-1
2. #85 Sam Shropshire (NU) def. Albert Wagner (LOU) 4-6, 7-5, 1-0 (10-4)
3. Chris Simich (LOU) def. Mihir Kumar (NU) 6-3, 6-4
4. Alex Gornet (LOU) def. Strong Kirchheimer (NU) 6-3, 6-3
5. Van Damrongsri (LOU) def. Alex Pasareanu (NU) 6-2, 6-3
6. Michael Lippins (LOU) def. Alp Horoz (NU) 6-2, 7-5
Order of finish: 5, 1, 3, 4*, 6, 2
Be the first to know what's going on with the 'Cats -- Follow @NU_Sports on Twitter, become a fan of Northwestern Athletics on Facebook, subscribe to the NU Sports Express e-newsletter and sign up to receive promotional text alerts for the latest news, schedule updates and video and to interact with NU. For more information on following specific Northwestern teams online, visit our Social Media page!