Feb. 16, 2014
NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- No. 30 Northwestern came out on top in a four hour match against No. 56 Middle Tennessee State, outlasting the Blue Raiders to mark a 4-3 triumph. The `Cats came from behind after dropping the doubles point with four straight singles wins to seal the victory.
MTSU claimed the doubles point in two matches. Freshmen Sam Shropshire and Alp Horoz fell to Yannick Born and Aaron Jumonville 6-3 at No. 2. The No. 57 duo of David Fox and Victor Cornea defeated senior Raleigh Smith and sophomore Mihir Kumar by the same margin at No. 1 to pull MTSU ahead 1-0.
With limited courts available, only singles numbers 1-4 were able to start their matches after doubles play wrapped. No. 3 was first to finish, where No. 84 Fox downed Kumar 6-2, 7-5 to increase the MTSU advantage to 2-0.
The resilient 'Cats, however, were undaunted. NU began its comeback at No. 4, where Kirchheimer posted the first Wildcat point with a come-from-behind victory over Jumonville 2-6, 6-2, 6-1. No. 81 Shropshire then evened the score with another three-set win at No. 2. Having dropped a close first set against Victor Cornea, he rallied back to triumph 6-7, 6-4, 6-2.
The `Cats took the lead 3-2 with another three-set match, this time at No. 1. No. 111 Smith bested Ettore Zito 6-2, 4-6, 6-4.
Horoz at No. 5 and Baev at No. 6 did not begin their contests until Kumar and Shropshire had finished and cleared the courts. Baev clinched the NU win with a close two-set victory at No. 6, beating Sam Matheson 6-4, 7-6.
Play finished out at No. 5, where Victor Hoang outlasted Horoz 2-6, 7-6, 10-6 to record the final score of 4-3.
Northwestern is back in action with a busy slate next week. The `Cats travel to Harvard on Friday for a 5 p.m. match, and come home Sunday for a doubleheader against North Carolina State and Valparaiso.
#30 Northwestern 4, #56 Middle Tennessee State 3
1. #57 David Fox / Victor Cornea (MT) def. Raleigh Smith / Mihir Kumar (NU) 6-3
2. Yannick Born / Aaron Jumonville (MT) def. Sam Shropshire / Alp Horoz (NU) 6-3
3. Fedor Baev / Strong Kirchheimer (NU) vs. Ettore Zito / Victor Hoang (MT) 4-4 (unfinished)
Order of finish: 2, 1*
1. #111 Raleigh Smith (NU) def. Ettore Zito (MT) 6-2, 4-6, 6-4
2. #81 Sam Shropshire (NU) def. Victor Cornea (MT) 6-7 (5-7), 6-4, 6-2
3. #84 David Fox (MT) def. Mihir Kumar (NU) 6-2, 7-5
4. Strong Kirchheimer (NU) def. Aaron Jumonville (MT) 2-6, 6-2, 6-1
5. Victor Hoang (MT) def. Alp Horoz (NU) 2-6, 7-6 (7-2), 10-6
6. Fedor Baev (NU) def. Sam Matheson (MT) 6-4, 7-6 (7-1)
Order of finish: 3, 4, 2, 1, 6*, 5
Be the first to know what's going on with the 'Cats -- Follow @NU_Sports on Twitter, become a fan of Northwestern Athletics on Facebook, subscribe to the NU Sports Express e-newsletter and sign up to receive promotional text alerts for the latest news, schedule updates and video and to interact with NU. For more information on following specific Northwestern teams online, visit our Social Media page!