Feb. 11, 2014
EVANSTON, Ill. -- Tiebreakers cost the 'Cats on Tuesday as No. 16 Notre Dame handed No. 30 Northwestern their first home loss of the season. All three double matches were decided by tiebreakers as well as one singles match and two key second sets. Senior Raleigh Smith recorded two big victories in his singles and doubles contests.
The match started with a lot of energy both on the court and from the sizeable crowd. Doubles play was fierce and extremely tight. The NU freshmen team of Alp Horoz and Sam Shropshire were tough throughout at No. 2 but ultimately fell to No. 46 Josh Hagar and Billy Pecor 6-5 (7-3).
Smith and sophomore Mihir Kumar battled against No. 17 Greg Andrews and Alex Lawson at No. 1. With the Horoz-Shropshire match finished, the ‘Cats thrillingly upset Notre Dame’s duo 6-5 (7-4) to even the doubles score 1-1.
Attention turned to No. 3, where sophomore Fedor Baev and freshman Strong Kirchheimer also went to a tiebreaker against Ryan Bandy and Eric Schnurrenberger. However, the Irish emerged the victors 6-5 (7-2) to win the point for Notre Dame.
The Irish pulled ahead 2-0 as Schnurrenberger defeated Baev 6-1, 6-2 at No. 6. No. 81 Shropshire dropped the first set to Quention Monaghan and looked on track for a second set comeback, but fell in a tiebreaker 6-4, 6-5 (7-5) at No. 2.
No. 111 Smith put the ‘Cats on the board with an upset victory at No. 1, defeating No. 37 Andrews 6-4, 6-4. The senior was able to break his opponent to serve for both the first set and the match.
Notre Dame sealed the 4-1 win when Eddy Covalschi beat Horoz 5-6 (4-7), 6-3, 6-0. Kumar and Kirchheimer were into their third sets at No. 3 and 4 respectively when play concluded. Both had lost their second sets in tiebreakers.
The ‘Cats take a breather after playing four home matches in five days. They travel to Middle Tennessee State on Sunday, Feb. 16 and play at 10 a.m.
#16 Notre Dame 4, #30 Northwestern 1
1. Raleigh Smith / Mihir Kumar (NU) def. #17 Greg Andrews / Alex Lawson (ND) 6-5 (7-4)
2. #46 Josh Hagar / Billy Pecor (ND) def. Alp Horoz / Sam Shropshire (NU) 6-5 (7-3)
3. Ryan Bandy / Eric Schnurrenberger (ND) def. Fedor Baev / Strong Kirchheimer (NU) 6-5 (7-2)
Order of finish: 2, 1, 3*
1. #111 Raleigh Smith (NU) def. #37 Greg Andrews (ND) 6-4, 6-4
2. Quentin Monaghan (ND) def. #81 Sam Shropshire (NU) 6-4, 6-5 (7-5)
3. Mihir Kumar (NU) vs. #121 Ryan Bandy (ND) 6-4, 5-6 (6-8), 1-3 (unfinished)
4. Strong Kirchheimer (NU) vs. Josh Hagar (ND) 6-2, 5-6 (3-7), 1-1 (unfinished)
5. Eddy Covalschi (ND) def. Alp Horoz (NU) 5-6 (4-7), 6-3, 6-0
6. Eric Schnurrenberger (ND) def. Fedor Baev (NU) 6-1, 6-2
Order of finish: 6, 2, 1, 5*
Be the first to know what's going on with the 'Cats -- Follow @NU_Sports on Twitter, become a fan of Northwestern Athletics on Facebook, subscribe to the NU Sports Express e-newsletter and sign up to receive promotional text alerts for the latest news, schedule updates and video and to interact with NU. For more information on following specific Northwestern teams online, visit our Social Media page!