Feb. 10, 2008
WILLIAMSBURG, Va. -- Marc Dwyer and Alex Sanborn scored an upset victory at No. 1 doubles as Northwestern took the doubles point, but No. 45 William & Mary won all six singles matches to top the Wildcats Sunday afternoon, 6-1.
The loss drops Northwestern to 5-4 on the year. The 'Cats went 0-2 on their road trip to Virginia.
Northwestern captured the doubles point with wins at No. 1 and No. 2. William & Mary scored the first win when Dominic Pagon and Kavi Sud defeated Juan Gomez and David Seyferth at No. 3, 8-3.
The Wildcats took the match at No. 1 doubles when Dwyer and Sanborn topped the 33rd-ranked pair of Alex Cojanu and Keziel Juneau, 8-4. The 'Cats clinched the doubles point when Peter Rispoli and Alexander Thams defeated Sebastien Vidal and Richard Wardell, 8-6.
William & Mary won all six singles matches, but the Wildcats fought to three sets at No. 2 and No. 3.
The Tribe evened the score at 1-1 when Cojanu defeated Dwyer at No. 1, 6-2, 6-4. It took the lead when Seyferth fell to Wardell at No. 6, 6-1, 6-4.
Marwan Ramadan topped Gomez at No. 5, 6-3, 6-4 to give William & Mary the 3-1 lead. The Tribe clinched the dual with a win at No. 3 where Juneau knocked off Thams in three sets, 6-0, 4-6, 6-4.
Rispoli dropped a hard-fought two-setter at No. 4 to Vidal, 6-2, 6-4, and Sanborn fought to three sets at No. 2, but fell to Pagon, 6-2, 2-6, 6-2.
NU returns to action at 2 p.m. Saturday against Dartmouth. The 'Cats will host Dartmouth and Arizona State next weekend at the Combe Tennis Center.
William & Mary 6, Northwestern 1
1. Cojanu (WM) def. Dwyer (NU), 6-2, 6-4
2. Pagon (WM) def. Sanborn (NU), 6-2, 2-6, 6-2
3. Juneau (WM) def. Thams (NU), 6-0, 4-6, 6-4
4. Vidal (WM) def. Rispoli (NU), 6-2, 6-4
5. Ramadan (WM) def. Gomez (NU), 6-3, 6-4
6. Wardell (WM) def. Seyferth (NU), 6-1, 6-4
1. Dwyer/Sanborn (NU) def. #33 Cojanu/Juneau (WM), 8-4
2. Rispoli/Thams (NU) def. Wardell/Vidal (WM), 8-6
3. Pagan/Sud (WM) def. Gomez/Seyferth (NU), 8-3