Feb. 9, 2013
Site: Evanston, Ill. (Combe Tennis Center)
Score: No. 33 Northwestern 7, Valparaiso 0
No. 47 Harvard 4, No. 33 Northwestern 3
Records: NU (9-3), Harvard (3-3), Valparaiso (4-2)
Next NU Event: Saturday, Feb. 9 - vs. Valparaiso (Combe Tennis Center), 7:30 p.m.
EVANSTON, Ill. -- No. 33 Northwestern split a pair of matches at Combe Tennis Center on Saturday, falling to No. 47 Harvard, 4-3, before shutting out Valparaiso 7-0 in the nightcap.
The Wildcats claimed the doubles point against the Crusaders, getting wins from Mihir Kumar and Alex Pasareanu, 8-1 at No. 3, as well as Raleigh Smith and Chris Jackman, 8-4 at No. 2.
NU carried the momentum over to singles where five of the six matches were decided in straight sets. Sidarth Balaji, Pasareanu, Kumar and Jackman all surrendered four games or less in their victories. Smith was also a straight-set winner, while Spencer Wolf won in a third-set tiebreaker.
In doubles play against Harvard, the No. 3 team of Kumar and Pasareanu got NU off to a good start as they posted an 8-4 win over Alex Steinroder and Shaun Chaudhuri. However, the Wildcats were edged in tiebreakers at both No. 1 and No. 2. After Northwestern fell at No. 2, the team of Balaji and Smith played a thriller against Casey MacMaster and Denis Nguyen only to come up short, 8-7 (13-11).
Balaji made short work of Steinroder at No. 3 singles, though, as his 6-2, 6-2 win evened the match before Kumar finished off his dominating 6-2, 6-0 win over MacMaster, putting NU in front 2-1.
The Wildcats closed to within a point of the match win when Smith took down Chaudhuri at No. 2. However, Harvard pulled out three-set wins at Nos. 1, 4 and 5 to come back and earn the victory.
NU returns to action next Sunday as it hosts Middle Tennessee State at 9 a.m. before taking on UIC at 7:30 p.m. at Combe Tennis Center.
#33 Northwestern 7, Valparaiso 0
1. Spencer Wolf / Sidarth Balaji (NU) vs. Eric Honert/Lucas Waak (Valpo) - unfinished, 5-4
2. Raleigh Smith / Chris Jackman (NU) def. Chris Baum/Daniel Oakes (Valpo) 8-4
3. Mihir Kumar / Alex Pasareanu (NU) def. Michael Savaglio/Michael Baiocchi (Valpo) 8-1
Order of finish: 3, 2
1. #108 Raleigh Smith (NU) def. Eric Honert (Valpo) 6-2, 7-5
2. Spencer Wolf (NU) def. Chris Baum (Valpo) 6-7, 6-1, 9-7
3. Sidarth Balaji (NU) def. Michael Savaglio (Valpo) 6-2, 6-2
4. Alex Pasareanu (NU) def. Michael Baiocchi (Valpo) 6-2, 6-2
5. Mihir Kumar (NU) def. Lucas Waak (Valpo) 6-2, 6-2
6. Chris Jackman (NU) def. Brian Hickey (Valpo) 6-0, 6-1
Order of finish: 6, 3, 5, 4*, 2, 1
#47 Harvard 4, #33 Northwestern 3
1. Casey MacMaster/Denis Nguyen (HU) def. Sidarth Balaji/Raleigh Smith (NU) 8-7 (13-11)
2. Andy Nguyen/Nicky Hu (HU) def. Spencer Wolf/Fedor Baev (NU) 8-7 (7-2)
3. Mihir Kumar/Alex Pasareanu (NU) def. Alex Steinroeder/Shaun Chaudhuri (HU) 8-4
Order of finish: 3,2,1*
1. Denis Nguyen (HU) def. Spencer Wolf (NU) 5-7, 6-1, 7-5
2. Raleigh Smith (NU) def. Shaun Chaudhuri (HU) 7-5, 6-2
3. Sidarth Balaji (NU) def. Alex Steinroeder (HU) 6-2, 6-2
4. Andy Nguyen (HU) def. Alex Pasareanu (NU) 4-6, 7-5, 6-4
5. Nicky Hu (HU) def. Chris Jackman (NU) 6-2, 3-6, 6-3
6. Mihir Kumar (NU) def. Casey MacMaster (HU) 6-2, 6-0
Order of finish: 3,6,2,5,4,1*
Be the first to know what's going on with the 'Cats -- Follow @NU_Sports on Twitter, become a fan of Northwestern Athletics on Facebook, subscribe to the NU Sports Express e-newsletter and sign up to receive promotional text alerts for the latest news, schedule updates and video and to interact with NU. For more information on following specific Northwestern teams online, visit our Social Media page!