Feb. 2, 2014
NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- As expected, No. 29 Northwestern met tough competition at No. 21 Vanderbilt on Sunday. The `Cats battled fiercely and took several matches to three sets, but the Commodores came away with the victory 4-2. Senior Raleigh Smith and freshman Sam Shropshire both earned points for NU, who moves to 4-2 on the season.
The Wildcats claimed the first doubles match at No. 2, where freshmen Shropshire and Alp Horoz beat Rhys Johnson and Ryan Smith 6-3. Smith and sophomore Mihir Kumar hung with nationally ranked No. 2 duo Gonzales Austin and Ryan Lipman at No.1, but they ultimately fell 6-3 to even the score.
In the deciding match at No. 3, sophomore Fedor Baev and freshman Strong Kirchheimer fought a close contest against Jeffrey Offerdahl and Anton Kovrigin. However, the Commodores came out on top 6-4 to put their team up 1-0.
Shropshire put the `Cats on the board early when he bested No. 57 Rhys Johnson 6-1, 6-2 in his No. 3 singles match. The Commodores responded with two victories to make their advantage 3-1. Freshman Konrad Zieba fell to No. 9 Austin 6-2, 6-4 at No. 2, and Kovrigin handed Kumar his first dual season loss, 5-6 (5), 6-1, 6-3, at No. 4.
Smith earned his second season victory over Lipman at No. 1, earning a tough three-set win 6-2, 4-6, 6-4 to pull Northwestern within one. However, Offerdahl outlasted Kirchheimer at No. 5 to win 5-6 (4), 6-1, 6-3, thus clinching the win for the Commodores. It also marked Kirchheimer's first loss of the season.
After three matches away, the Wildcats return next weekend for a busy home stretch. They take on Rice on Friday at 4:30 p.m. before hosting a double-header against Cornell at 11 a.m. and Western Illinois at 7 p.m. next Sunday.
#21 Vanderbilt 4, #29 Northwestern 2
1. #2 Gonzales Austin / Ryan Lipman (VU) def. Raleigh Smith / Mihir Kumar 6-3
2. Sam Shropshire / Alp Horoz (NU) def. Rhys Johnson / Ryan Smith (VU) 6-3
3. Jeffrey Offerdahl / Anton Kovrigin (VU) def. Fedor Baev / Strong Kirchheimer (NU) 6-4
Order of finish: 2, 1, 3*
1. Raleigh Smith (NU) def. Ryan Lipman (VU) 6-2, 4-6, 6-4
2. #9 Gonzales Austin (VU) def. Konrad Zieba (NU) 6-2, 6-4
3. #114 Sam Shropshire (NU) def. #57 Rhys Johnson 6-2, 6-2
4. Anton Kovrigin (VU) def. Mihir Kumar (NU) 5-6 (5-7), 6-1, 6-3
5. Jeffrey Offerdahl (VU) def. Strong Kirchheimer (NU) 5-6 (4-7), 6-1, 6-3
6. Fedor Baev (NU) vs. Kris Yee (VU) 6-2, 4-2 (unfinished)
Order of finish: 3, 2, 4, 1, 5*
Be the first to know what's going on with the 'Cats -- Follow @NU_Sports on Twitter, become a fan of Northwestern Athletics on Facebook, subscribe to the NU Sports Express e-newsletter and sign up to receive promotional text alerts for the latest news, schedule updates and video and to interact with NU. For more information on following specific Northwestern teams online, visit our Social Media page!