Feb. 1, 2010
ATHENS, Ga. -- Northwestern fell to No. 20 Miami (Fl.) Monday morning in the consolation match of the ITA Kickoff Weekend held at UGA's Lindsey Hopkins Indoor Facility. The 'Cats fall to 4-2 on the season and their three-match road stretch continues at Vanderbilt this Friday.
Northwestern fell to an early deficit after doubles. The 'Canes took the early advantage as the duo of Christian Blocker and David Simon defeated NU's Andrew McCarthy (Cincinnai, Ohio/Indian Hill) and Tobias Reitz (Reinbeck, Germany/Sachsenwaldschule Reinbeck), 8-2.
Alex Sanborn (Houston, Texas/Kinkaid) and Joshua Graves (Milwaukee, Wis./Nicolet) then dropped their first match of the season, 8-6, to Keith Crowley and Hector Nieto. With the point decided, No. 3 doubles was left unfinished.
In singles, Sanborn fell to UM's Keith Crowley, 6-2, 6-2 at No. 3, giving Miami a 2-0 advantage.
The next match off the courts was at No. 2 between Blocker and Wildcat freshman Sidarth Balaji (Fairfax, Va./Fairfax). The Hurricane junior took the early lead in the first set and withstood stiff resistance from Balaji in the second to take the 6-3, 7-5 match.
At No. 1 singles, Graves was unable to stage yet another upset, falling to No. 57 Carl Sundberg in straight sets to seal the match for the Hurricanes. The loss is Graves' first of the season, dropping him to 5-1.
Spencer Wolf (Coral Springs, Fla./Laurel Springs) was facing Ignacio Taboada at No. 4 when play was halted. The players exchanged breaks multiple times in the first before the Wildcat freshman forced a tiebreak, which he was unable to pull out.
(N. Miami Beach, Fla./Krop) was up 3-0 in his No. 5 singles match over David Simon when play was halted.
Miami 4, Northwestern 0
1. #57 Carl Sundberg (UM) def. Joshua Graves (NU) 6-4, 6-2
2. Christian Blocker (UM) def. Sidarth Balaji (NU) 6-3, 7-5
3. Keith Crowley (UM) def. Alex Sanborn (NU) 6-2, 6-2
4. Ignacio Taboada (UM) vs. Spencer Wolf (NU) 7-6 (10-8), 4-1, unfinished
5. David Simon (UM) vs. Mark Schanerman (NU) 0-3, unfinished
6. Tobias Reitz (NU) vs. Santiago Nieto (UM) no result
1. Christian Blocker/David Simon (UM) def. Andrew McCarthy/Tobias Reitz (NU) 8-2
2. Keith Crowley/Hector Nieto (UM) def. Joshua Graves/Alex Sanborn (NU) 8-6
3. Spencer Wolf/Sidarth Balaji (NU) vs. Carl Sundberg/Ignacio Taboada (UM) no result
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2); Singles (3,2,1)