Jan. 26, 2014
NORMAN, Okla. -- The `Cats played tough against a very strong Sooners team, but No. 31 Northwestern ultimately fell to No. 9 Oklahoma 4-0, marking their first loss of the season. NU wrapped their weekend at the ITA Indoor Qualifying Rounds 1-1, having beat No. 24 Tulsa on Saturday.
The Sooners won the doubles point to go up 1-0. At No. 2, freshman Alp Horoz and sophomore Fedor Baev fell 6-2 to Guillermo Alcorta and Axel Alvarez. Oklahoma's No. 18 doubles team Dane Webb and Andrew Harris then took down sophomore Mihir Kumar and freshman Sam Shropshire 6-4. Senior Raleigh Smith and freshman Strong Kirchheimer were down against Nick Papac and Peerakit Siributwong 5-3 when they halted their match at No. 3.
Oklahoma increased their lead to 3-0 as they took the first two singles matches, both of which featured top-ten players. No. 5 Alcorta beat Smith 6-3, 6-2 at No. 1, and No. 6 Alvarez took down Shropshire 6-3, 6-1 at No. 2
Even so, the resilient Wildcats did not let up and forced each remaining match to three sets. However, OU's Austin Siegel eventually edged Baev 2-6, 6-5, 6-1 at No. 5 to seal the Sooner victory. Still, the `Cats put up a solid fight. When the matches ended, Kumar was leading #37 Harris 6-5, 5-6, 4-1 at No. 3, and Kirchheimer at No. 4 and Horoz at No. 6 were also battling in close contests.
Northwestern plays another tough opponent next Sunday in Nashville, Tenn., where they face No. 15 Vanderbilt at noon.
For more information on the tournament, visit the ITA website.
#9 Oklahoma 4, #31 Northwestern 0 Doubles Results
1. #18 Dane Webb / Andrew Harris (OU) def. Mihir Kumar
/ Sam Shropshire
2. Guillermo Alcorta / Axel Alvarez (OU) def. Alp Horoz
/ Fedor Baev
3. Nick Papac / Peerakit Siributwong (OU) vs. Raleigh Smith / Strong Kirchheimer
(NU) 5-3 (unfinished) Order of finish:
1. #5 Guillermo Alcorta (OU) def. Raleigh Smith (NU) 6-3, 6-2
2. #6 Axel Alvarez (OU) def. #114 Sam Shropshire (NU) 6-3, 6-1
3. Mihir Kumar (NU) vs. #37 Andrew Harris (OU) 6-4, 5-6, 4-1 (unfinished)
4. Strong Kirchheimer (NU) vs. #40 Dane Webb (OU) 3-6, 6-4, 4-3 (unfinished)
5. Austin Siegel (OU) def. Fedor Baev (NU) 2-6, 6-5, 6-1
6. Alp Horoz (NU) vs. Nick Papac (OU) 3-6, 6-4, 2-3 (unfinished)
Order of finish: 2, 1, 5*
Be the first to know what's going on with the 'Cats -- Follow @NU_Sports on Twitter, become a fan of Northwestern Athletics on Facebook, subscribe to the NU Sports Express e-newsletter and sign up to receive promotional text alerts for the latest news, schedule updates and video and to interact with NU. For more information on following specific Northwestern teams online, visit our Social Media page!