Jan. 25, 2014
NORMAN, Okla. -- No. 31 Northwestern came out on top against No. 24 Tulsa, winning 4-2 at the ITA Indoor Qualifying Rounds on Saturday. The ‘Cats are competing for a spot at the ITA National Team Indoor Championships in mid-February.
The Wildcats took the doubles point to jump ahead 1-0. Freshman Alp Horoz and sophomore Fedor Baev made quick work of their opponents Japie De Klerk and Alejandro Espejo at No.2, with a 6-1 win.
No. 1 and No. 3 had more even matches, but senior Raleigh Smith and freshman Strong Kirchheimer ultimately won at No. 3, defeating Carlos Bautista and Daniel Santos 6-4 to clinch the point for NU. Sophomore Mihir Kumar and freshman Sam Shropshire left their match at No. 1 unfinished 5-5 against Clifford Marsland and Dylan McCloskey.
In singles play, Kirchheimer burst out of the gate at No. 5 to notch an early victory over Juan Carvajal 6-0, 6-1, extending the NU lead to 2-0. However, Tulsa rallied back to tie it 2-2 in two close matches, as freshman Konrad Zieba fell 6-4, 6-4 to Marsland at No.2, and Smith fell to De Klerk 6-4, 6-4 at No. 1.
With the score knotted up, the remaining singles matches pushed to three sets. Baev restored the Wildcat advantage at No. 6, coming back after dropping the first set to win 5-6, 6-2, 6-3 over McCloskey. Both Shropshire at No. 3 and Kumar at No. 4 went down to the wire with tiebreakers in the third set. In the end, Kumar bested Espejo 6-4, 2-6, 6-5 to clinch the Northwestern victory. Shropshire left his match against Bautista unfinished 5-6, 6-2, 5-5.
Northwestern will face No. 9 Oklahoma at 2 p.m. on Sunday. The Sooners defeated No. 37 Virginia Tech 4-1 Saturday afternoon.
For more information on the tournament, visit the ITA website.
#31 Northwestern 4, #24 Tulsa 2
1. Mihir Kumar / Sam Shropshire (NU) vs. Clifford Marsland / Dylan McCloskey (TU) 5-5 (unfinished)
2. Alp Horoz / Fedor Baev (NU) def. Jaspie De Klerk / Alejandro Espejo (TU) 6-1
3. Raleigh Smith / Strong Kirchheimer (NU) def. Carlos Bautista / Daniel Santos (TU) 6-4
Order of finish: 2, 3*
1. Japie De Klerk (TU) def. Raleigh Smith (NU) 6-4, 6-4
2. Clifford Marsland (TU) def. Konrad Zieba (NU) 6-4, 6-4
3. #114 Sam Shropshire (NU) vs. #71 Carlos Bautista 5-6, 6-2, 5-5 (unfinished)
4. Mihir Kumar (NU) def Alejandro Espejo (TU) 6-4, 2-6, 6-5
5. Strong Kirchheimer (NU) def. Juan Carvajal (TU) 6-0, 6-1
6. Fedor Baev (NU) def Dylan McCloskey (TU) 5-6, 6-2, 6-3
Order of finish: 5, 2, 1, 6, 4*
Be the first to know what's going on with the 'Cats -- Follow @NU_Sports on Twitter, become a fan of Northwestern Athletics on Facebook, subscribe to the NU Sports Express e-newsletter and sign up to receive promotional text alerts for the latest news, schedule updates and video and to interact with NU. For more information on following specific Northwestern teams online, visit our Social Media page!