Jan. 19, 2014
EVANSTON, Ill. -
No. 32 Northwestern opened up the home portion of its duel match season with a 4-0 victory over William & Mary Sunday afternoon at Combe Tennis Center.
The Wildcats took the doubles point in thrilling fashion. At No. 3, sophomore Fedor Baev and freshman Alp Horoz finished first, winning 6-4 over John Banks and Ben Hoogland. Sophomore Mihir Kumar and freshman Sam Shropshire battled at No. 1 against Will Juggins and Aaron Chaffee, but fell 6-3 to even the score. It was up to the No. 2 spot, a close match where senior Raleigh Smith and freshman Strong Kirchheimer forced Ben Guthrie and Addison Appleby to a tiebreaker. Down 1-3, the `Cats duo rallied back with five straight points to win the match and the doubles point for Northwestern.
The Wildcats' advantage grew to 2-0 following a convincing 6-1, 6-1 victory by Kirchheimer at No. 4 over Chaffee. NU claimed a first set win in four of the six matches, including a come-from-behind victory for Smith at No. 1. The senior trailed Hoogland 5-3 in the tiebreaker before rallying to win the final four points to take the set.
Northwestern closed to within one victory of the match win when Kumar finished off his 6-4, 6-1 triumph over Will Juggins. Fedor Baev was able to close things out at No. 6 as he started and finished strong against John Banks, winning 6-1, 5-6 (5), 6-2.
The 'Cats are back in action at 7:30 p.m. Sunday night as they take on Chicago State in the back end of their doubleheader.
#32 Northwestern 4, William & Mary 0
1. Will Juggins / Aaron Chaffee (W&M) def. Mihir Kumar / Sam Shropshire (NU) 6-3
2. Raleigh Smith / Strong Kirchheimer (NU) def. Ben Guthrie / Addison Appleby (W&M) 6-5
3. Fedor Baev / Alp Horoz (NU) def. John Banks / Ben Hoogland (W&M) 6-4
Order of finish: 3, 1, 2*
1. Raleigh Smith (NU) vs. Ben Hoogland (W&M) 6-5 (5), 0-6, 1-2 (unfinished)
2. Sam Shropshire (NU) vs. Ben Guthrie (W&M) 4-6, 6-3, 5-2 (unfinished)
3. Mihir Kumar (NU) def. Will Juggins (W&M) 6-4, 6-1
4. Strong Kirchheimer (NU) def. Aaron Chaffee (W&M) 6-1, 6-1
5. Alex Pasareanu (NU) vs. Damon Niquet (W&M) 5-6 (1), 2-5
6. Fedor Baev (NU) def. John Banks (W&M) 6-1, 5-6 (5), 6-2
Order of finish: 4, 3, 6*
Be the first to know what's going on with the 'Cats -- Follow @NU_Sports on Twitter, become a fan of Northwestern Athletics on Facebook, subscribe to the NU Sports Express e-newsletter and sign up to receive promotional text alerts for the latest news, schedule updates and video and to interact with NU. For more information on following specific Northwestern teams online, visit our Social Media page!