Jan. 17, 2014
Site: Boise, Idaho (Boise Racquet and Swim Club)
Score: Northwestern 5, Boise State 2
Records: NU (1-0), Boise State (1-1)
Next NU Event: Sunday, Jan. 19 - vs. William & Mary (Combe Tennis Center), noon; vs. Chicago State (Combe Tennis Center), 7:30 p.m.
BOISE, Idaho -- After several close matches, No. 32 Northwestern began the 2014 dual meet season with a 5-2 victory over No. 46 Boise State on Friday.
The Wildcats met tough competition in doubles, ultimately going 1-2 and losing the point to the Broncos. Freshmen Alp Horoz and Konrad Zieba teamed up at the No. 2 spot and won the first match 6-4. Sophomore Mihir Kumar and freshman Sam Shropshire played at No. 1, but fell 6-5. Freshman Strong Kirchheimer and senior Raleigh Smith competed at No.3, and also lost in a close contest 6-5.
In singles play, Kirchheimer made quick work of his opponent Toby Mitchell, finishing at No. 6 with a 6-0, 6-3 victory. At the No. 5 spot, junior Alex Pasareanu fell to Brendan McClain 6-1, 6-4 to even the score 1-1, but Kumar put the Wildcats back on top with a 6-4, 6-5 vwin over Garrett Patton at No. 4.
At No. 1, Smith pushed Northwestern to a 3-1 lead when he upset #54 Andy Bettles 6-5, 6-3. Shropshire, ranked No. 114, clinched the Wildcat victory at No. 3, where he edged Thomas Tenreiro 5-6, 6-5, 6-3. To conclude the match, Zieba ground out another close, three-set win over Nathan Sereke at No. 2, winning 5-6, 6-5, 6-5.
The `Cats return home on Sunday, when they host a doubleheader against William and Mary at noon, and Chicago State at 7:30 p.m.
#32 Northwestern 5, #46 Boise State 2
1. Garrett Patton/Brendan McClain (BSU) def. Mihir Kumar/Sam Shropshire (NU) 6-5
2. Alp Horoz/Konrad Zieba (NU) def. Andy Bettles/Thomas Tenreiro (BSU) 6-4
3. Toby Mitchell/Nathan Sereke (BSU) def. Strong Kirchheimer/Raleigh Smith (NU) 6-5
Order of finish: 2, 1, 3*
1. Raleigh Smith (NU) def. #54 Andy Bettles (BSU) 6-5, 6-3
2. Konrad Zieba (NU) def. Nathan Sereke (BSU) 5-6, 6-5, 6-5
3. #114 Sam Shropshire (NU) def. Thomas Tenreiro (BSU) 5-6, 6-5, 6-3
4. Mihir Kumar (NU) def. Garrett Patton (BSU) 6-4, 6-5
5. Brendan McClain (BSU) def. Alex Pasareanu 6-1, 6-4
6. Strong Kirchheimer (NU) def. Toby Mitchell (BSU) 6-0, 6-2
Order of finish: 6, 5, 4, 1, 3*, 2
Be the first to know what's going on with the 'Cats -- Follow @NU_Sports on Twitter, become a fan of Northwestern Athletics on Facebook, subscribe to the NU Sports Express e-newsletter and sign up to receive promotional text alerts for the latest news, schedule updates and video and to interact with NU. For more information on following specific Northwestern teams online, visit our Social Media page!