Sept. 11, 2013
Throughout the 2013 Northwestern football season, NUsports.com will feature one healthy tailgating recipe per week brought to you by Meijer, your one-stop for higher standards and lower prices on everything from groceries to clothing, electronics, home goods and more. Below are the first 12 recipes in the series -- see you on gameday at Ryan Field!
Sesame-Grilled Pineapple Sundaes
4 (1/2-inch-thick) pineapple slices, cored and peel removed (NuVal® Score 99)
1 tbsp. Meijer Honey
1 tbsp. McCormick® Sesame Seeds
2 cups nonfat vanilla (or other flavor) frozen yogurt
4 tbsp. unsweetened coconut or chopped walnuts
2 tbsp. chocolate syrup or shaved chocolate
1. Brush pineapple slices evenly with honey, and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
2. Preheat a grill pan over medium-high heat or preheat a grill to medium-high (350°F to 400°F). Grill pineapple slices 2 minutes per side or until lightly marked. Set aside to cool slightly. Cut pineapple rings in half.
3. Scoop ½ cup frozen yogurt into each of 4 small serving bowls. Arrange pineapple slices on either side of the ice cream. Sprinkle evenly with coconut, drizzle with chocolate, and serve.
Build A Better Dog!
Top Low-Fat Beef Brats with tzatziki sauce, cucumber, and kalamata olives.
German Turkey Dog
Top Meijer Turkey Franks with mustard, sauerkraut, and crushed pretzels.
Chicken Chili Dog
Combine 1 cup shredded rotisserie chicken, 1 (14 oz) can Great Northern Beans, drained & rinsed, and 1 (16 oz) jar of Meijer Naturals Salsa. Top your favorite hot dog with warmed chili mixture and shredded cheddar cheese.
Top Chicken Brats with Black Bean Mango Salsa. (See recipe below)
Black Bean Mango Salsa
2-15 oz. cans black beans, rinsed and drained
1 ½ cups fresh, frozen, or canned corn
½ green bell pepper, chopped
½ red pepper, chopped
4 green onions, chopped
1 avocado, cubed (sprinkled with lime juice to prevent browning)
1 mango, cubed
2 tbsp. Meijer Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Mix all ingredients together. Refrigerate 1 hour before serving. Serve salsa on top of your favorite burgers or hot dogs.
Tarragon Chicken Salad
1 cup Dannon All Natural Non-Fat Plain Yogurt
½ tsp. tarragon
1 tbsp. Meijer Organics Dijon Mustard
3 cups shredded Rotisserie Chicken, skin removed
2/3 cup celery, chopped
2/3 cup scallions, chopped
1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
Salt and pepper to taste
1. In a large bowl combine yogurt, tarragon, and Dijon Mustard.
2. Add chicken, celery, scallions, and cherry tomatoes to yogurt mixture.
3. Add salt and pepper to taste.
4. Spoon chicken salad mixture onto mixed salad greens, whole- wheat tortilla, multigrain bread, or whole-wheat crackers.
Grilled Pineapple Pizza
1 fresh pineapple, sliced, ¾-inch thick, cored
1 (12-inch) Meijer Multigrain Thin Oven Baked Pizza Crust (pre-baked and ready to eat)
½ cup Meijer Chunky Marinara Sauce
3 slices Meijer Canadian bacon, cut into bite-size pieces
8 oz. Sargento® Chef Style Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
2 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
1. Preheat grill to medium-high (350°F to 400°F). Grill pineapple 5 minutes per side or until lightly charred and just tender. Cut into small cubes; set aside.
2. Spread pizza crust with sauce. Top with pineapple, Canadian bacon, cheese and cilantro.
3. Place pizza directly on grill. Grill, covered, 10 minutes or until the crust is crisp and cheese melts. Let stand 5 minutes before slicing into small wedges.
5-Minute Marinade: McCormick® Grilled Moroccan Spice Chicken
1/3 cup lemon juice
1/3 cup Meijer olive oil
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons McCormick® Onions, Minced
1 teaspoon McCormick® Cumin, Ground
1 teaspoon McCormick® Turmeric, Ground
1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Black Pepper, Coarse Ground
1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Cinnamon, Ground
1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Red Pepper, Crushed
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
1. Mix all ingredients except chicken in medium bowl. Reserve 2 tablespoons marinade for brushing.
2. Place chicken in large resealable bag. Add remaining marinade; turn to coat well. Massage chicken and marinade for 4 to 5 minutes. Remove chicken from marinade. Discard any remaining marinade.
3. Grill chicken over medium heat 6 to 7 minutes per side or until cooked through, brushing with reserved marinade. Discard any remaining marinade.
Sea-Salted Kale Chips
1 lb. fresh kale, de-stemed, and chopped into large pieces
2 tbsp. Meijer Extra Virgin Olive Oil
½ tsp. Meijer Sea Salt
½ tsp. meijer ground black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Spread kale onto baking sheet and sprinkle with oil, sea salt, and pepper. Mix well and spread kale evenly on baking sheet.
3. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until kale gets crispy and lightly golden.
Sautéed Veggie and Chicken Pizza
1 Whole Wheat Meijer Pizza Crust
1 Tbsp. Olive oil
1 small zucchini, sliced
1 red bell pepper, cut into 1/4" strips
1 cup red onion sliced thin
1 cup sliced mushrooms
3/4 tsp. McCormick garlic powder
1/4 tsp. salt
3/4 tsp. McCormick Italian seasoning
1 1/2 cups shredded Italian blend cheese
1 cup chopped chicken breast (from Meijer Rotisserie chicken)
3 Roma tomatoes, sliced 1/4" thick slices
Non-stick cooking spray
Ground black pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Add oil to a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat, add onion, zucchini, and bell pepper; cook 3 minutes. Add mushroom and cook another 3 minutes and cook until vegetables begin to soften, stirring frequently.
Mixed Berry Salad with Balsamic
Makes 6 servings
1 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
1 tsp. Meijer honey
3 tbsp. Meijer olive oil
Coarse salt and black pepper
1 pkg. DOLE Mediterranean salad mix
½ cup sliced fresh strawberries
½ cup fresh raspberries
½ cup fresh blueberries
¼ cup shaved Parmesan cheese
¼ cup toasted almonds
1. Mix vinegar and honey in small bowl. Whisk in olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
2. Combine salad and berries in large bowl. Add vinaigrette; gently toss to coat. Arrange salad on plates. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and almonds.
Be the first to know what's going on with the 'Cats -- Follow @NU_Sports on Twitter, become a fan of Northwestern Athletics on Facebook, subscribe to the NU Sports Express e-newsletter and sign up to receive promotional text alerts for the latest news, schedule updates and video and to interact with NU. For more information on following specific Northwestern teams online, visit our Social Media page!