Nov. 26, 2011
Box Score |
Northwestern Football Postgame Notes
No. 10/11/14 Michigan State at Northwestern
November 26, 2011
Ryan Field - Evanston, Ill.
Northwestern Team Notes
- This was the 52nd meeting between Northwestern and Michigan State. The road team now has won six of the last seven contests dating to 2005.
- Dating to the 2008 season, Northwestern is 10-5 in the month of November, with Coach Pat Fitzgerald owning a 13-8 November mark and a 3-1 November mark in 2011.
- The loss snapped the Wildcats' four-game winning streak; the third four-game win streak under Fitzgerald.
- Northwestern gained 370 total yards on the nation's No. 3 defensive team (based on total yards allowed). The Spartans had been allowing an average of 257.3 yards per game.
- Going into the game, the Wildcats led the Big Ten with 256.9 passing yards per game. Today, NU threw for 253 yards.
- With two long offensive scoring drives vs. MSU, Northwestern now has 28 scoring drives that have covered 65 yards or longer this season.
- Northwestern has now scored in double figures in 59 straight games.
Northwestern Individual Notes
- QB Dan Persa tossed two touchdown passes today, giving him 34 career TD strikes, which ranks fifth on NU's all-time passing TD list. He als- increased his career passing yardage total to 4,968 yards, leaving him 32 yards shy of becoming the eighth NU player to reach 5,000 yards for a career.
- With 19 pass attempts in NU's bowl game, Persa will become eligible for the NCAA's career statistics and he will almost certainly become the FBS all-time leader in pass completion percentage. Persa, wh- touts a 73.0 career pass completion percentage, is trying to break Colt Brennan's 70.4 career mark. The NCAA requires a player to have 15 pass attempts per career game - Persa has 596 career pass attempts in 40 games.
- Persa is als- challenging to become the Big Ten's all-time leader for career pass efficiency. With one game to play, Persa carries an NU-record 157.47 pass efficiency rating into NU's bowl game. The Big Ten career pass efficiency mark is held by Ohi- State's Terrelle Pryor (158.4).
- Persa moved from seventh to sixth place among NU players for career total offense. He now has 5,723 yards after passing Steve Schnur (5,542; 1993-96) today.
- Persa and WR Jeremy Ebert have now connected for 16 touchdown passes, which ranks second only to Steve Schnur and D'Wayne Bates, wh- hooked up for an NU-record 17 scores from 1995-96.
- Ebert, wh- led all NU receivers with seven receptions today (39 yards), stands third on the all-time NU receiving yardage chart with 2,365 yards. He als- has 169 career receptions, which moves him from seventh to fourth place, passing Shaun Herbert (168; 2003-06), Ross Lane (163; 2005-08) and Mark Philmore (163; 2002-05).
- Ebert became the fourth Wildcat to gain 1,000 receiving yards in a season. He currently has 1,025 yards, the fourth-best season mark in NU annals.
- Ebert leads all Northwestern receivers in 2011 with 71 catches and 1,025 yards. The 71 receptions rank seventh on NU's all-time season list.
- Ebert now has 21 career touchdown receptions, with 11 this year (one shy of the NU season record of 12 set by D'Wayne Bates in 1997).
- SB Drake Dunsmore's third-quarter reception covered 69 yards, his longest career catch, besting a 66-yard effort against Auburn in the 2010 Outback Bowl.
- For the sixth time in the last seven games, QB/WR Kain Colter caught at least five passes (6 for 44 yards today). Colter has 40 receptions for the season with 37 coming in the last seven games.
- Colter has rushed for a team-leading 589 yards this year, thrown for 660 yards and totaled 454 receiving yards.
- RB Jacob Schmidt led all Wildcat rushers with 39 yards, the fourth game this season that Schmidt has led NU in rushing in a game.
- WR Demetrius Fields has a touchdown reception in each of the past three games, his first three TD's this season.
- Senior CB Jeravin Matthews picked off his first career interception today and led all tacklers with nine stops (seven solo).
- S Ibraheim Campbell added eight tackles (seven solo) to retain the team's lead with 89 hits. His 51 sol- tackles als- rank first among all Wildcats this year.
- CB Jordan Mabin added a pass breakup today to increase his career total to 24, tied for fourth with Raheem Covington (1990-2002) on NU's career PBU list.
- PK Jeff Budzien successfully booted a 34-yard field goal and added two more PAT kicks to increase his season scoring total to 66 points, equaling the same number of points that Kain Colter and Jeremy Ebert tallied.
- Budzien is now 48-of-48 on PAT kicks this season, the best mark in the Big Ten for kickers that have not missed an extra point.
- two of P Brandon Williams' four punts today fell inside the opponents' 20-yard line.
- RG Ben Burkett and LT Al Netter now share the Northwestern record with 51 games started, along with former PK Stefan Demos.
- CB Jeravin Matthews, wh- led NU with nine tackles (seven solos) vs. the Spartans, notched his first career interception.