Official Store

    Wildcats Clipped Again By Wolverines in Overtime, 67-55

    NUSPORTSDOTCOM Reggie Hearn tallied 11 points and a game-high 11 rebounds.
    Reggie Hearn tallied 11 points and a game-high 11 rebounds.

    Feb. 21, 2012

    Box Score

    Watch Game Highlights |  Postgame Press Conference (AA)

    Site: Evanston, Ill. (Welsh-Ryan Arena)
    Score: #11/13 Michigan 67, Northwestern 55 (OT)
    Records: NU (16-11, 6-9 Big Ten), Michigan (21-7, 11-4 Big Ten)
    Next NU Event: Saturday, Feb. 25 -- at Penn State (University Park, Pa.), 8 p.m. CT

    EVANSTON, Ill. -- For the second time this season, Northwestern took a ranked Michigan squad to overtime but came up short in the end. A trio of 3-pointers to open the extra session lifted the Wolverines to a 67-55 victory Tuesday night at Welsh-Ryan Arena.

    John Shurna led the Wildcats with 14 points, while Davide Curletti added 12 off the bench and Reggie Hearn posted his first collegiate double-double with 11 points and 11 rebounds.

    It was a case of déjà vu for Northwestern which dropped a 66-64 overtime contest in Ann Arbor back on Jan. 11.

    After the squads battled to a 49-49 deadlock through regulation this time around, Michigan got triples from Trey Burke, Zack Novak and Stu Douglass to give the guests a nine-point lead three minutes into the extra period and the Wildcats could never recover.

    Watch Game Highlights

    Northwestern started the game in a 10-3 hole, but battled back by scoring 10 of the next 12 points, capped by a trey by Shurna that got the Wildcats within 13-12. The Wolverines would extend their lead back up to 19-13 before NU took control.

    A pair of layups by Hearn sandwiched two free throws by Curletti to get NU back to even with seven minutes left. In all, Northwestern would close the half on an 18-5 run over the final 9:19 to take a 31-24 lead at the break.

    However, it was a defensive struggle for much of the second period as the Wildcats managed only four points over the opening 8:39 of the half, but still held a two-point lead as Michigan tallied only nine points over the span.

    The teams would battle back and forth throughout the remainder of regulation as neither team held more than a four-point advantage. Michigan held a 43-42 lead until Hearn drilled a 3-pointer to put the 'Cats up by two with 3:38 left.

    Northwestern got a stop on the other end before Shurna scored his first points of the half on a difficult bucket with 2:42 remaining to push the lead to four. But Burke responded with a crucial 3-pointer to cut the visitors' deficit to one. Shurna then scored again on an other tough bucket to extend NU's lead back to three, but Tim Hardaway Jr. tied the game with another big triple to tie the game with 1:41 left.

    Shurna rimmed one out on the other end with a minute to go, but Hearn came up with an offensive rebound with a minute left. JerShon Cobb's attempt with under a half-minute to go was off the mark, giving Michigan one final chance to win it in regulation.

    Northwestern forced a tough shot from Burke at the buzzer to send the game to overtime, but the Wolverines knocked down shots in the OT to pull out the win.

    Michigan connected on 14 of 38 3-point field goal attempts in the contest while Northwestern was limited to 3-for-16 shooting from beyond the arc.

    The Wildcats return to action Saturday when they travel to Penn State for an 8 p.m. Central time tip.


    Be the first to know what's going on with the 'Cats -- Follow @NU_Sports on Twitter, become a fan of Northwestern Athletics on Facebook! and subscribe to the NU Sports Express e-newsletter to receive the latest news, schedule updates and video and to interact with NU. For more information on following specific Northwestern teams online, visit our Social Media page!