Official Store

    In Memoriam

    Northwestern would like to honor former members of the Wildcat family (student-athletes, coaches, staff members, boosters, etc.) who have recently passed on. To submit obituary information for inclusion in our In Memoriam section, please send an email to program assistant Jocelyn Serranilla.


    Former Wildcat Shannon Duffy, who helped Northwestern's women's tennis team capture three consecutive Big Ten championships and back-to-back NCAA round of 16 appearances, passed away on July 29, 2014 in Meeker, Colo., at age 35.

    Shannon Duffy

    A three-time All-Big Ten selection (1998, 1999, 2000), Duffy posted a career singles record of 106-45, including a 34-2 mark against Big Ten opponents during the dual match season. She helped the Wildcats to Big Ten tournament titles each of her final three seasons, including a perfect 10-0 conference record in 2001. The team also advanced to the round of 16 of the NCAA tournament during her junior and senior seasons.

    "Shannon Duffy was a once-in-a-lifetime player for the 'Cats," Northwestern head coach Claire Pollard said. "She was charismatic, fun and the ultimate teammate. She made sure everyone was ready to go before matches and made sure everyone was alright afterwards. Every team has a spirit, heart and soul and Shannon was all of that and some for her four years as a Wildcat. Sadly, Shannon has moved on to hopefully a better place. But her memory and spirit will live on forever in our hearts."

    As a freshman during the 1997-98 season, Duffy worked her way to the No. 2 spot in the Northwestern singles lineup, posting a 31-11 overall record and, in the process, set the school's single-season record for wins. She was awarded the Lisa Ishikawa Award her senior season in 2001, presented to a "female athlete exhibiting outstanding leadership ability and selfless dedication to team goals."

    Duffy, a native of Plano, Texas, graduated from Northwestern's Medill School of Journalism in 2001 with a degree in broadcast journalism. She went on to obtain a J.D., Law degree from the University of Denver's Sturm College of Law and became a member of the American Bar Association. In her online profile, she listed her employment and projects, including most recently as Delta Cargo Task Force Lead for Delta Airlines, and previous stops as law clerk for Ved Nanda Center for International Law, research assistant at the University of Denver Sturm College of Law, legal advocate for the Center for International Law and Human Rights, and community development and education specialist for the Peace Corps.

    The following source was used for this In Memoriam: Shannon Duffy's LinkedIn profile.


    Steve King, former academic advisor to Northwestern student-athletes, passed away on Friday, June 27, 2014, in Evanston.

    Steve King

    King worked closely with student-athletes from 19 varsity sports, helping freshmen transition from high school to college and providing pre-registration support, advising and career planning. During his time in the Athletics Department, King assisted student-athletes develop a plan of study, providing guidance in major or minor selection, course registration advising, and valuable assistance in producing programs of study that capitalized on the student's academic interests and future career goals.

    "Steve's warm smile and easy confidence with which he approached every challenge made him a delightful colleague and beloved advisor. His high integrity, ability to quickly gain trust, and extraordinarily perceptive insight into his student-athletes' often unspoken needs, all combined to make Steve one of those people who touched lives and is never forgotten. His legacy lies in those students who flourished and grew under his tutelage--and have grown into young men and women who will bear the imprint of his love and care always," said Margaret Akerstrom, former associate athletics director in charge of academic services with whom King worked at Northwestern for several years.

    "Steve was a remarkable man, a truly good man, and a good friend. As an advisor he was caring, thoughtful and always gave his utmost to the student-athletes. He will be sorely missed by all whose lives he touched," said Mary Beth Hawkinson, Northwestern Athletics director of academic services

    "I was shocked and saddened to hear of Steve King's unexpected passing. My heart goes out to his family, especially his beautiful wife Philina and equally beautiful daughters, Kiara and Payton. I now know I was blessed to see Steve shortly before his death that afternoon to briefly chat and exchange hugs. It was an honor and privilege to have worked closely with Steve during our days at Northwestern. His spirit and positive attitude will live on in all of the students and colleagues that he influenced, coached and advised over the years. It is moments like this that make us stop to remember just how precious life really is," said Betsi Burns, former Northwestern student-athlete advisor and now Loyola University Chicago's Assistant Dean/Senior Associate Director of Athletics.

    King worked as an investment advisor after he left Northwestern in 2006. He was most recently sports and family manager for the McGaw YMCA in Evanston. A statement released by the McGaw YMCA said "Steve had a tremendous impact on our youth and families with whom he worked in the Sebring-Lewis Center and all who knew him at the McGaw YMCA."

    King played safety for the University of Michigan Wolverines football team where he won varsity letters from 1993-96. He obtained his bachelor of arts from Michigan and continued his education at Wayne State University where he earned his master's degree. King worked as varsity football assistant head coach at Evanston Township High School, where he was the defensive coordinator and outside linebackers coach since 2005.

    He is survived by his wife, Philina and daughters, Kiara and Payton.

    The following sources were used for this In Memoriam: McGaw YMCA


    Gary Leland Levering, recognized in his community as a "champion for mental health," played golf for Northwestern under head coach Sid Richardson from 1957-61. He passed away on June 13, 2014, in Houston, Texas, at age 74.

    Gary Leland Levering

    Levering, born on Sept. 9, 1939, in Kansas City, Kan., showed a passion for golf as a teenager, winning the Kansas state junior championship title two times in high school. He then attended Northwestern with a full athletics scholarship and earned four varsity letter awards as a member of the Wildcats golf team under legendary coach Richardson, who called Levering's 1957-58 freshman golf team as the "best he's ever had."

    As student, Levering became involved on campus as a member of the Delta Upsilon fraternity, serving as president his senior year and as a traveling ambassador to its chapters around the country after college. Years later, Levering continued to give back to his alma mater, supporting Northwestern, "so that other young golfers could also enjoy a university education."

    After obtaining his bachelor's degree in political science from Northwestern, Levering pursued a law degree from the University of Texas in Austin, where he met and married Jo Ann Dougall, a fellow student and a native Houstonian.

    Levering continued his community involvement, serving in 1983 as the City of Houston's mobility and transportation coordinator, an unpaid advisory position under the Office of the Mayor. He also helped organize the Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance of Greater Houston, helping the organization grow from two to more than 70 groups within Houston's metropolitan area. According to the organization, Levering's work has helped "guide thousands of people out of the darkness of depression and the shadows of bipolar disorder." Then Mayor Bill White proclaimed May 18, 2006, "Gary Levering Day" to recognize him as a "champion for mental health for his tireless efforts on behalf of fellow sufferers of bipolar disorder." Levering received the esteemed Ima Hogg Award for Mental Health in 2006, earning himself a tribute from former President George H.W. Bush.

    Levering's passion for golf continued later in his life, playing Golf Digest's "Top 50 Courses" and getting certified as a USGA rules official. He started and taught a USGA rules course at the Houston Country Club to help other members maintain golf as an "honorable game." In the early 1980s, he bought a second home in Pebble Beach, Cal., and as a 25-year member, brought countless groups of weekend golfers from Houston to play with him at Cypress Point Club.

    Levering is survived by his wife of almost 50 years, Jo Ann, daughters Janice King and LeAnn Plant, three grandchildren, sons-in-law, four brothers, sisters-in-law, cousins, nieces and nephews.

    The following sources were used for this In Memoriam: Gary Leland Levering obituary posted in; "Frosh Golfers `Best Ever,' The Daily Northwestern, May 8, 1958.


    Preston "Bud" Beard, a long-time member of the N Club Board of Directors and a mainstay at Northwestern athletic events for more than 70 years, passed away on March 9, 2014 in his hometown, Kenilworth, Ill., at age 96.

    Preston "Bud" Beard

    Beard attended Northwestern from 1935-39 and was actively involved in sports as well as campus organizations. He obtained his bachelor's degree in business administration in 1939, was on the track team and served as student manager of the baseball team. Aside from his athletics activities, he was involved in a number of organizations such as the Phi Kappa Sigma fraternity, the Purple Parrot board, Homecoming and Dad's Day committees, and worked as staff on the student yearbook, the Syllabus.

    Beard, born on July 11, 1917, joined the Army air corps after college and, as an air force reservist, was called to serve in Korea. He returned to Northwestern and obtained his master's in business administration in 1951. Beard started his professional career at Merrill Lynch in 1950 and worked as independent financial services professional and specialized in real estate and securities advising until his retirement in 1987.

    Beard is survived by his wife and fellow alum, Jane Wilson; daughter, Jeanne Beard and son, Douglas (Martha), grandchildren, nephews and nieces.

    The following sources were used for this In Memoriam: Preston "Bud" Beard obituary posted in; The Syllabus, 1938 and 1939.


    Don Adams posted rebounding records for three consecutive seasons from 1968-70 as a Wildcat that, more than 40 years later, still rank seventh (268 set in 1969), ninth (256 in 1968) and 10th (249 in 1970) in Northwestern's men's basketball rebounding record book. Adams died at Beaumont Hospital in Michigan on Dec. 25, 2013 at age 66.

    Donald Adams

    Adams, born on Nov. 27, 1947 in Atlanta, Ga., is best remembered in Northwestern basketball history as a "rebounding whiz," and "one of the league's top rebounders." The student newspaper, The Daily Northwestern, credited Adams for his team's positive outlook. In its March 26, 1968 issue, the Daily said, "The addition of sophomore talent in 6-6 Don Adams spelled two reasons for improvement over last year: rebounding and defense." As a sophomore, "Adams hauled a team-leading 256 rebounds and consistently intimidated opponents by blocking shots." He was also described in the team's outlook in the 1968-69 media guide as "among the best of a brilliant Big Ten sophomore crop, " and "one of the Big Ten's toughest one-on-one defenders."

    Adams shattered his own sophomore rebounding record, posting 268 rebounds his junior year in 1968-69. On Jan. 24, 1969, playing defending national champion UCLA Bruins at the Chicago Stadium, Adams displayed his fearless defense, posting 15 rebounds, just one shy of 7-2 Lew Alcindor's (later known as Kareem Abdul-Jabbar of the NBA) 16 rebounds. Adams was back-to-back team MVP in 1968-69 and 1969-70.

    Adams played professional basketball for seven years after graduation from Northwestern. The San Diego Rockets selected him as their first pick in the eighth round of the 1970 NBA draft. He went on to play for the Atlanta Hawks in 1972 and the Detroit Pistons from 1972-75. He played for two seasons with the Spirits of St. Louis and then the Buffalo Braves of the American Basketball Association from 1975-77.

    Following his professional basketball career, Adams worked as a financial advisor for Lincoln Financial. Adams made his home in Southfield, Mich.

    He is survived by his wife of 42 years, Mary Adams, two sons, Don Jr. (Angela) and Damar, and four granddaughters, four sisters, nephews and nieces.

    The following sources were used for this In Memoriam: Don Adams Obituary posted in; "Sophs Provide Heart-Stoppers," by Richard Boudreaux, The Daily Northwestern, March 26, 1968; Northwestern Men's Basketball Media Guides, 1968-70.


    Robert "Bob" London, team captain of Northwestern's track team his senior year in 1959-60, passed away in Midland, Texas on June 28, 2013 at age 75.

    Robert London

    London's accomplishments in track's obstacle races as a hurdler began long before he came to Northwestern. As a child, he battled and won his biggest hurdle - polio. He was not expected to walk again. But he beat and survived the crippling disease and went on to help anchor Northwestern's track team. He competed in hurdles for four years for the Wildcats varsity track and field team from 1956-60, representing his school in high and low hurdles races. The 5-10, 160-lb. track athlete ran and jumped hurdles races as one of three "consistent indoor point winners" with teammates John Reynolds and George Schneider. He played under legendary track coach Charles "Rut" Walter and won varsity letter awards during his time as a Wildcat.

    London always found a way to win. When "Northwestern's 12-man track team won four events but finished last in a weekend triangular track meet in Madison," the student newspaper, The Daily Northwestern, chronicled London's win on Feb. 17, 1959: "Bob London won the 70-yard low hurdles with a fast time of eight seconds flat. He also took third in the 70-yard highs." For someone not expected to walk again, London, his family recalls, took great pride in his track and field accomplishments at Northwestern. He also lived an athletic lifestyle as an avid golfer and tennis player.

    London was born on Feb. 11, 1938 to Charles and Lorene London in Evanston, Ill. He attended Evanston High School from 1952-56. London stayed close to home like his older brother, Richard who graduated from Northwestern in 1955 with a bachelor's degree in speech. London originally enrolled as a speech major but eventually switched and obtained his bachelor's degree in history with English as a minor in 1960 from Northwestern's School of Liberal Arts. After graduation, he enlisted with the U.S. Navy for active duty on Nov. 19, 1961. London went on to work with Allstate Insurance Company where he spent his professional career until his retirement in 1993.

    He is survived by his wife, Karen, children Reid London, Nicole Hartley and Christopher Kidd, six grandchildren and one great granddaughter.

    The following sources were used for this In Memoriam: Robert London Obituary,; "Lettermen strengthen cindermen," by Wayne Hasty, The Daily Northwestern, April 4, 1958; "Trackmen Beaten in Madison," The Daily Northwestern, February 17, 1959.


    Harold Arthur Grant was the second-leading scorer in Northwestern history upon his graduation in 1955, posting 1,123 career points that, nearly 60 years later, still ranks 24th in the NU men's basketball scoring record book. Grant passed away on Jan. 15, 2014, at age 81.

    Harold Grant

    Throughout his storied playing career from 1951-55 as a Northwestern Wildcat, Grant posted rebounding and scoring statistical records for Northwestern and the Big Ten Conference. During the 1953-54 season, Grant placed 10th in Big Ten scoring with 221 points, averaging 15.8 points per game as a junior under head coach Waldo Fisher. He matched his scoring with impressive rebounding, posting 236 rebounds in one season (1954-55) and 590 career rebounds. At 6'6", Grant played alternately at the forward and center positions, averaging 19.8 points per game as a senior.

    Long-time Wildcats Sports Information Director Walter Paulison described Grant in the 1954-55 men's basketball media guide as "probably the most aggressive player on the squad. The husky Argo, Ill., product's favorite shot was a left-handed jump shot. His height enables him to play the pivot position. He has a good close-in shot and can hit from far out." Grant and teammate Frank Ehmann formed one of the top duos in Northwestern's basketball history.

    Grant was born in Jamaica, Queens, N.Y. on Sept. 13, 1932, the oldest child of Muriel and Eugene Grant. After World War II, his parents moved to Argo, Ill. After graduating from Northwestern in 1955, Grant went on to work in sales and marketing at General Foods, Liggett & Myers Tobacco and Impel Marketing.

    He is survived by his wife, Katherine Argersinger Grant, children Kathy Corbiere (Dick), Allison Townsend (Tom), Chip Grant (Vanessa), and nine grandchildren, one grandson, brothers-in-law, sisters-in-law, nephews and nieces.

    The following sources were used for this In Memoriam: Northwester Wildcats Men's basketball Media Guide 1953-54 and 1954-55 by Walter Paulison, and Hal Grant Obituary at


    Robert "Bobby" Jake served his school and country well in his lifetime, winning championships in men's tennis for Northwestern, serving in the US Army Air Corps during World War II and becoming a medical surgeon for war veterans. The Milwaukee, Wis. native, born on Jan. 9, 1923, passed away Nov. 30, 2013, at the Veterans Home of California in Yountville at age 90.

    Robert Jake

    As a student-athlete, Jake played varsity basketball and tennis while pursuing a pre-medicine degree at Northwestern. He was a sophomore under men's tennis head coach Paul Bennett when he helped the Wildcats capture their third Big Ten Conference championship in 1942. Together with teammate Seymour Greenberg, Jake helped the Wildcats produce a winning season, "one in which the Wildcats nosed out Chicago and Michigan for the Big Ten title." As a basketball player, Jake was a six-foot forward under Wildcats coach Arthur Lonborg and was in the starting lineup featuring legendary athlete Otto Graham. They were called the "high-scoring combine of Graham and Jake," helping the Wildcats post a 7-5 Big Ten record in 1942-43, good for third place in the conference despite the team's "lack of height." The student newspaper The Daily Northwestern described Jake as "fast, outstanding and sparkling."

    In March of 1943, Jake left Northwestern for military service and was sent to the Army Air Corps Technical Training Command in Atlantic City, New Jersey as his branch of service. He was also assigned in Baer Field in Fort Wayne, Ind. and Alfred, N.Y. After his tour of duty, he returned to Northwestern in the spring of 1946 and continued his winning ways in the No. 1 singles position. Jake became the 1946 men's tennis Big Ten singles champion and captured the doubles championship with teammate Larry Daly. He was a varsity letter winner in men's basketball (1941-42, 1942-43) and men's tennis (1941-42, 1942-43 and 1946).

    After his career at Northwestern, Jake pursued his dream of becoming a doctor at the University of Vermont Medical School. He served his medical residency at Columbia Hospital in his hometown Milwaukee, Wis. in 1949. In 1952, Jake served in the Korean War as a M.A.S.H. doctor. He joined the medical staff of the Veterans Home of California in Yountville as chief of surgery in 1973, caring for fellow veterans until his retirement in 1996.

    Jake is survived by his wife of 62 years, Betty, his children Jennifer McAlpin, Betsy McDonald (Harold), Jeffrey Jake, Julie Cole, Kelly Rios (Albert), and Peggy O'Kelly, grandchildren and great grandchildren.

    The following sources were used for this In Memoriam: The Tale of the Wildcats by Walter Paulison, 1951; Napa Valley Register obituary, Dec. 3, 2013; "Meet The Team with Jessie Walker," The Daily Northwestern, Dec. 16, 1941.


    Francis Peay, the Sports Illustrated Coach of the Year who performed what the Chicago Tribune termed the "Best Coaching Job" in 1986, passed away on Sept. 21, 2013, at age 69.

    Francis Peay

    The Pittsburgh, Pa., native was known for his optimism, enthusiasm and a competitive spirit during a six-year head coaching tenure at Northwestern from 1986-91, motivating college football players who eventually competed as professionals in the National Football League, including Mike Guendling, Alex Moyer, Bob Christian, Richard Buchanan, Curtis Duncan, Steve Tasker and Darryl Ashmore.

    "Become more competitive, just have a winning season," he used to tell his players.

    Peay played college football from 1962-65 at the University of Missouri where he became an All-American offensive tackle his senior season. He obtained his bachelor's degree in sociology in 1966 from Missouri. Peay was inducted into Missouri's Hall of Fame in 1991 and was named a member of Missouri's all-century football team last fall.

    Peay's professional football career started with the New York Giants (1966-67), and extended for nine years playing offensive tackle for the Green Bay Packers (1968-72) and Kansas City Chiefs (1973-74). He came to Northwestern in 1981 as defensive coordinator in Dennis Green's staff, became interim head coach when Green left in 1985 and was named Northwestern's head coach in 1986. In 1988, Peay brought to Evanston then 34-year-old Randy Walker to coach the Wildcats running backs.

    The following sources were used for this In Memoriam: 1987-91 Northwestern football media guides, "Missouri hall of famer Francis Peay dies," by Steven Benna, Missourian, Sept. 21, 2013, "Everyday is Peay day for Wildcats," by Bob Pile, Chicago Sun-Times, April 12, 1987.


    Long before she became a poet, model, physician, physical fitness advocate and award-winning author, Antronette (Toni) Yancey displayed her pioneering spirit as a student-athlete at Northwestern University. She played center for the Wildcats women's basketball team and earned a varsity letter in 1976-77, barely a year after the inception of the women's team as a varsity sport for the Wildcats. The Kansas City, Kan., native, born on Nov. 1, 1957, passed away in Los Angeles, Calif., on April 23, 2013, at age 55 following a battle with lung cancer.

    Toni Yancey

    The 6'2" center helped head coach Mary DiStanislao set an 18-5 record in only the second year of the women's basketball team, a big leap from a 5-12 performance in its inaugural season in Evanston in 1975-76. Yancey was also part of the team that set a 12-game winning streak during the 1976-77 season, registering wins at home against Indiana, Marquette, Northeastern, Illinois, and Minnesota, and beating Purdue, Notre Dame, Wisconsin and DePaul on the road.

    While competing in the highest level as a Division I student-athlete, Yancey studied an equally rigorous pre-medicine major, completing a bachelor's degree in biochemistry and molecular biology at Northwestern. She earned her medical degree at Duke University and completed her residency in preventive medicine at UCLA, where she also obtained a master's degree in public health. In addition to being a physician and professor at UCLA, Yancey authored a book published in 2010, "Instant Recess: Building a Fit Nation 10 Minutes at a Time," which outlined a physical fitness program that incorporates physical activity into people's daily routine, whether at school, work or places of worship, "making America healthier 10 minutes at a time." She earned numerous awards for her novel idea, including the 2012 Pioneering Innovation Award from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

    In paying tribute to her vast accomplishments, Dr. Jody Heymann, dean of the UCLA Fielding School of Public Health said in a statement published April 26, 2013, by the UCLA Newsroom, "Dr. Yancey was an extraordinary life force who made an impact on everyone she knew - from those who only met her once to those who considered her a lifelong friend. She has left a tremendous mark on the field of public health as a leader committed to, and exceptionally effective at, translating research into successful programs and policy, as a passionate teacher and mentor, as an acclaimed scholar and as a strong and crucial voice addressing inequities in health."

    Dr. Yancey is survived by Darlene Edgley, her partner of 11 years, their daughter Kanitra, son-in-law Oscar, granddaughter Anais, a brother, a sister-in-law and a niece.

    The following sources were used for this In Memoriam: archives, UCLA Newsroom Obituary: "Antronette Yancey, professor, leading advocate for health equity and physical activity," by Sarah Anderson, April 26, 2013.


    Mike Dunbar mentored student-athletes on the football field for more than 30 years in his coaching stops from Central Washington to Northwestern to California. He has helped college football players move further in their careers to play for the National Football League, including current New Orleans Saints offensive line Zach Strief who starred at Northwestern University in a Dunbar-coached offense from 2002-05. Dunbar was the Wildcats offensive coordinator when Strief earned Football Writers Association of America first-team All-American, NU's first first-team All-American offensive lineman in 22 years in 2005. The Tacoma, Wash. native, who most recently served as Northern Illinois' offensive coordinator, passed away at age 64 in DuPont, Wash. on Sept. 13, 2013 following a battle with cancer.

    Mike Dunbar

    Dunbar joined Northwestern University in 2001 as tight ends and H-backs coach, and special teams coordinator. In January 2002, then head football coach Randy Walker named Dunbar offensive coordinator to help oversee Northwestern's spread attack. Under Dunbar, the Wildcats offense ranked 29th nationally in total offense after averaging more than 400 yards per game in 2004. In the Big Ten, the Wildcats ranked fourth in total offense (third in rushing offense and third in passing offense), earning tickets to play against Bowling Green State University in the Motor City Bowl on Dec. 26, 2003, and the University of California at Los Angeles (UCLA) in the Vitalis Sun Bowl on Dec. 30, 2005.

    "Probably his greatest legacy is he was a great coach of coaches," said current coach Pat Fitzgerald. "He was a true pro's pro. I just learned a ton from him on a daily basis." Coach Fitzgerald worked as linebackers coach when Dunbar was offensive coordinator under the late Coach Walker's Wildcats staff.

    Dunbar came to Evanston from Northern Iowa, where he compiled a 29-15 record as head coach from 1997-2000. Overall, he owned an 83-24-1 career record as a head coach, including a 54-9-1 mark in six seasons at NAIA Central Washington. While at CWU, his teams earned two No. 1 national rankings, made the playoffs six times, and in 1991, extended a regular-season win streak to 40 games, finishing 9-0. Central Washington consistently ranked in NAIA's Top 20 each year during Dunbar's tenure. He was named the Columbia Football Association Coach of the Year, as well as Kodak's Region I Coach of the Year three different years. Northern Illinois University was his final stop in a 33-year career. He was diagnosed with cancer shortly after he joined NIU in February 2012.

    Dunbar earned a bachelor of science degree from Washington in 1972 and a master of arts degree from Pacific Lutheran in 1979.

    Dunbar is survived by his wife, Linda, and two children, Troy and Lori.

    The following sources were used in this In Memoriam:, "Former NIU, NU football assistant Dunbar dies," by Shannon Ryan, Chicago Tribune, Sept. 15, 2013.


    Henry "Hank" Clason was a two-sport standout at Northwestern. He helped the baseball team win its first Big Ten championship in 1940, and served as team captain of the 1941-42 men's basketball team. Clason passed away at age 93 in his hometown, Goshen, Ind., on July 14, 2013.

    Henry Clason

    Clason received varsity letter awards in basketball from 1940-42 and in baseball in 1940-41. He played multiple positions on both the basketball and baseball teams, prompting the school's student newspaper, The Daily Northwestern, to call him, "the handyman of the Wildcat athletic teams" in its Dec. 3, 1941 issue. From guard to forward under Wildcats legendary coach Arthur Lonborg, to outfielder and pitcher under baseball coach Stan Klores, Hank Clason was "jack of all positions" for the Wildcats.

    Clason earned his bachelor's degree in education from Northwestern in 1942 and his master's degree from Indiana University. He served as a captain with the U.S. Marines from 1942-46, and was a member of the Goshen American Legion for 60 years. He taught and served as head basketball coach at Topeka High School from 1946-52 and at Goshen High School in 1953. While at Goshen High School, Clason coached the basketball, cross country, and track teams.

    He is survived by his wife, Mavis (Dahl) Clason; three sons, Stephen, Michael and Kevin; and three grandchildren, Matthew, Lauren and Kristen.

    The following sources were used in this In Memoriam: The Tale of the Wildcats by Walter Paulison, 1951; July 15, 2013 Goshen News obituary, and "Clason is jack of all positions," The Daily Northwestern, December 3, 1941.


    Stanley Anthony Gorski earned varsity letter awards from 1945-47 as a tight end on the Northwestern football team. His teammates and coaches fondly called him "Sago", a nickname derived from his initials S.A.G. The Milwaukee, Wis., native and youngest of seven children passed away in Tyler, Texas on Feb. 14, 2013 at age 86.

    Stanley Gorski

    Described as a "dangerous man when he gets his hands on the ball," Gorski was credited with a "touchdown on a pass from quarterback Jim Farrar" in Northwestern's 28-14 win over Wisconsin on Nov. 10, 1945, at Madison. In an article published on October 4, 1946, The Daily Northwestern reporter Bob Shipley aptly described Gorski's football prowess. "It was Stan who pounced on a blocked kick in the end zone to tie the mighty Indiana championship club last year," as the Daily recalled Northwestern's home game against the Hoosiers on September 29, 1945. Gorski played for Lynn "Pappy" Waldorf in 1945-46 and for Bob Voigts in 1947.

    Gorski graduated from Northwestern in 1948 with a degree in mechanical engineering on a football scholarship. He was also a member of the Beta Theta Pi fraternity at Northwestern. His corporate career began at the Crosley Division of Avco Corporation. He later advanced to be a general manager of the heating and airconditioning division of General Electric and retired as vice-president of Trane Co.

    Gorski met his wife, the former Juliet Morgan, at NU and the couple was married for more than 64 years. Gorski is survived by his wife, Juliet; daughter, Gail; son, Tom; granddaughter, Stacy; sisters, Gwen and Geri (Ken), and daughter-in-law, Liz. His son, Stan "Chip", preceded Gorski in death.

    The following sources were used in this In Memoriam: Stanley Anthony Gorski's February 24, 2013 Tyler Morning Telegraph obituary, and "Big and Burly, Stan Gorski Steps Into Max Morris' Shoes" by Bob Shipley, The Daily Northwestern, October 4, 1946.


    Leon Edward Brockmeier, a second-team All Big Ten offensive lineman for Northwestern, passed away at age 34 from natural causes on Sept. 22, 2012.

    Leon Brockmeier

    Leon Edward Brockmeier, a second-team All Big Ten offensive lineman for Northwestern, passed away at age 34 from natural causes on Sept. 22, 2012.

    A powerful tackle, Brockmeier started 35 games for Northwestern between 1997 and 2001 and was a member of the Wildcats' 2000 Big Ten championship team, in which the offense scored 36.8 points per game, a school record.

    Brockmeier started 24 straight games for a `Cats offense that led the Big Ten in total offense in 2000 with 467.9 yards per game and was second in 2001 with 442 yards per game. He opened up holes for running back Damien Andersen, who totaled 2,063 yards on the ground. Brockmeier was selected to play in the 2002 Tyco Grid Iron Classic.

    Brockmeier, a native of Tallahassee, Fla., graduated in 2001 with a major in communication studies and a minor in sociology. In addition to working as a commercial realtor, he coached high school fooball Freedom High School in Tampa where he was named Track Coach of the Year in 2006 for Hillsborough County. He is survived by his wife, Melanie, and two sons.

    Information from Leon Brockmeier's obituary released by Zipperer's Funeral Home was used in this In Memoriam.


    Alfred John Kuhn, a four year NCAA All American swimmer, passed away on Jan. 20, 2012. Kuhn, 78, lived in a home on Silver Lake in Traverse City, Mich.

    Alfred Kuhn

    Kuhn had an outstanding swimming career at Northwestern. He was selected as a member of the NCAA All American Collegiate Swimming Team each of his four years. In 1956, Kuhn proved himself in the pool and was the NCAA National Champion in the 100-yard freestyle. That same year he also received the award of a being a Northwestern Big Ten Medal of Honor winner.

    Not only was Kuhn a sensational swimmer, he also found success as a volleyball player. 1950 to 1962 Al played volleyball across the country and abroad. He won a gold medal in volleyball in the 1955 Pan American Games and was named all-American several years. In 2009, he was awarded the USA Volleyball All-Time Great Male Player Award.

    In 1956, Kuhn graduated from Northwestern with a degree in Civil Engineering. After finishing up his successful collegiate swimming career, Kuhn became active in his community serving on the Hammond, Ind., School Board, the Indiana State School Board and the Hammond Sanitary District. He was also a member of the Hammond Jaycees, Kiwanis, and Optimist Club. Kuhn, an Eagle Scout, was also extremely involved in scouting.

    Al is survived by his brother Paul A. (Sherry) Kuhn of Lake Tomahawk, Wis.; children, Alfred John (Christa) Kuhn Jr. of Huntsville, Thomas E. (Kelly) Kuhn of Hammond, Ind., Patricia Anne (Marcus) Maier of Forrest, Ill., and Dave (Bekki) Kuhn of Colon, Mich.; seven grandchildren; three great-grandchildren; two nieces and three nephews.

    Information from Alfred Kuhn's Jan. 25, 2012 The Huntsville Times obituary was used in this In Memoriam.


    Albert "Ollie" Adelman, a 1998 inductee into Northwestern's Athletic Hall of Fame and a superb athlete in both football and tennis at Northwestern, passed away on Jan. 13, 2012. Adelman, 96, lived at his home designed by the renowned architect Frank Lloyd Wright in Fox Point, Wis.

    Albert "Ollie" Adelman

    On the field, Adelman was a gritty halfback. In 1935, he played his part in a Wildcat victory over Notre Dame, the first since 1901. A week later, he scored three touchdowns in a decisive victory against Wisconsin. Adelman was a key contributor to the backfield in 1936, fighting to win the first outright conference title in school history. Adelman earned All-America honors at halfback.

    On the tennis court, Adelman shone just as brightly. In 1936, Adelman was a conference champion at No. 6 singles. His performance helped the Wildcats to a 10-3 record that year and a second-place finish in the conference.

    Following his unforgettable career at Northwestern, Adelman rivaled his athletic career with an equally successful business endeavor. Adelman turned down a contract with the Chicago Cardinals of the NFL and returned to Milwaukee to help his father run a cleaning business he had started. He soon became president of Adelman Laundry and Dry Cleaners, which had many locations in the Milwaukee area.

    Adelman was extremely active in the Jewish community and served as the Wisconsin chairman of State of Israel Bonds. He was national chairman of the United Jewish Appeal and president of the Milwaukee Jewish Federation. He was also one of 12 original members of the Board of Governors of the Global Jewish Agency in Israel. Adelman was a devoted husband to his late wife, Edie, and is survived by three sons: Lynn, Craig and Gary, as well as three grandchildren and eight great-grandchildren.

    Information from Albert "Ollie" Adelman's Jan. 14, 2012, Milwaukee Journal Sentinel obituary and the Jan. 14, 2012, The Journal Times (Racine) obituary was used in this In Memoriam.


    Frank Aschenbrenner

    Frank Aschenbrenner, a key player who scored the first touchdown in Northwestern's 1949 Rose Bowl championship, died January 30, 2012, after a bout with cancer. Aschenbrenner, 86, lived in Arizona with his wife, Charleyne.

    Early in the 1949 Rose Bowl, Aschenbrenner took a handoff and scampered 73 yards to the end zone, setting a Rose Bowl record that stood for 44 years as the longest run from scrimmage. "He was a real leader and an unbelievably good football player," said Gaspar Perricone, a Northwestern teammate. "He was named the most valuable player for the game."

    Aschenbrenner was born in Germany. He came to the United States with his parents when he was 3 and grew up in Milwaukee. He began college at Marquette University in Milwaukee and played football there but left school after a year to train as a Navy pilot during World War II. He was stationed at Naval Station Great Lakes on the North Shore, and he played on football teams that competed against other service or college teams for troop entertainment, his wife said.

    After the war, Aschenbrenner resumed his studies and continued playing football at Northwestern. After graduating in 1949 with a degree in business administration, he continued to play football for a few years, first with the Chicago Hornets of the All-America Football Conference and then with the Montreal Alouettes in Canada, his wife said.

    He eventually left football to work in Chicago. A job transfer took him to California, where he later opened a packaging business before moving to Arizona.

    Mr. Aschenbrenner also is survived by a daughter, Pam Aguilu; sons Rob Duncan, Paul Trompeter and P.J. Trompeter III; seven grandchildren; and seven great-grandchildren.

    Information from Frank Aschenbrenner's Feb. 6, 2012, Chicago Tribune obituary was used in this In Memoriam.


    Charlotte Remenyik

    Charlotte Remenyik, the woman credited with revitalizing the Northwestern fencing program in the mid-1970's, passed away on December 21, 2011.

    Remenyik took the reins in 1976 and led the Wildcats to a spotless 9-0 record and a Big Ten title in her first year. The next year produced similar results with a 6-2 overall mark and a second straight Big Ten title. Following the 1977-78 campaign, Laurie Schiller took over head coaching duties and has been at the helm ever since.

    Remenyik's contributions to Northwestern fencing are recognized every October when the 'Cats host the Remenyik Open which attracts top competition from around the country for an exciting weekend.


    Andrew Cvercko, a three-year starter for the football team on both the offensive and defensive lines and a member of Northwestern's Athletic Hall of Fame, died Dec. 3, 2010, in Rolling Meadows, Ill.

    Andy Cvercko

    Cvercko earned All-America and Academic All-America honors in 1958, the first Wildcat to accomplish that feat. He was on the Academic All-Big Ten team in 1957 and 1958, and in 1959, won the Big Ten Medal of Honor and participated in the College All-Star game. Cvercko played his entire NU career for head coach Ara Parseghian, going 5-4 in Cvercko's senior season of 1958 with wins over then-No. 19 Michigan (55-24) and then-No. 5 Ohio State (21-0).

    After graduation, Cvercko was drafted in the fifth round of the 1959 NFL Draft, going on to play for the Green Bay Packers (1960), the Dallas Cowboys (1961-62), the Cleveland Browns (1963) and the Washington Redskins (1963).

    Cvercko was inducted into the Northwestern Athletic Hall of Fame in 2000 alongside his brother, Jack, who played primarily as a guard in 1960, 1962-63.


    George Steinbrenner, longtime principal owner and managing partner of the New York Yankees and former Northwestern football assistant coach, died July 13, 2010. Steinbrenner spent one year with the Wildcats in 1955 under head coach Lou Saban, serving as end coach. He joined Northwestern after a stint coaching football and basketball at Aquinas High School in Columbus, Ohio.

    George Steinbrenner

    Steinbrenner became the Yankees owner on Jan. 3, 1973 when he and minority partner Michael Burke led a group of investors in purchasing the franchise from CBS. During Steinbrenner's 37-year ownership from 1973 to his death in July 2010, the longest in club history, the Yankees earned 7 World Series titles and 11 pennants. He retired from his primary functions with the team beginning in 2006, leaving day-to-day operations to his sons Hank and Hal Steinbrenner.

    The Rocky River, Ohio, native attended Culver Military Academy in Indiana before earning a bachelor's degree from Williams College in Massachusetts. He then joined the United States Air Force and did some postgraduate work at Ohio State prior to his season spent in Evanston.


    Former member of the Northwestern football team Roland "Ort" Ortmayer, 91, died Oct. 9, 2008. Ortmayer was a member of the 1938 Wildcat gridiron squad under legendary head coach Lynn "Pappy" Waldorf before going on to a long and respected career as a faculty member and 43-year head coach of the football program at the University of La Verne in La Verne, Calif.

    Roland "Ort" Ortmayer

    Ortmayer, who was appointed head football and baseball coach in 1948 at what was then La Verne College, grew to become an iconic figure at the school by the time he retired in 1991. While he also managed the basketball and track & field programs and served as athletic director during his tenure, he was most recognized for coaching football, finishing his career with a 182-193-8 record and earning induction into the NAIA Hall of Fame in 1979. In September 1989 he was the subject of a feature article in Sports Illustrated'sCollege Football Preview issue. Written by Douglas S. Looney, "A Most Unusual Man" focused on Ortmayer's influence on the lives of those around him. To simply label him as a coach, Looney wrote, "Is like praising Picasso for knowing the primary colors."

    Roland Ortmayer is preceded in death by his wife, Corni, and son, David, who died in 1953 at the age of 6. He is survived by a sister, Marillee Franke of Madison (Wis.), two daughters, Suzi Bowles of Belgrade (Mont.) and Corlan Harrison of Upland, along with four grandchildren and two great grandchildren.


    Dr. Clarence Hinton, 91, a halfback for the football Wildcats from 1935-37 -- including the 1936 Big Ten Championship team -- and the nation's oldest, board-certified, African-American Otolaryngologist, died Sept. 23, 2008, in Silver Spring, Md.

    Clarence Hinton

    Upon graduating from Peoria Central High School with an "A" average and membership in the National Honor Society, Hinton was granted an academic scholarship to Northwestern, where he received his B.S. degree in 1938. While at Northwestern, he also became a member of Kappa Alpha Psi fraternity and served as Polemarch of the chapter. Hinton went on to earn an M.D. degree from Howard in 1942 before serving in the U.S. Army from 1943-46.

    Dr. Hinton served as Chairman of the Division of Otolaryngology -- Head and Neck Surgery -- at Howard University Hospital from 1963-1979 and became the first of his race to serve as Chairman of the Section on Otolaryngology of the D.C. Medical Society from 1978-1980. Dr. Hinton had a great appreciation for classical music that dated back to his pre-teenage years when he studied violin. He continued to play the violin every day for his own enjoyment and relaxation until just before his death.

    Dr. Hinton is survived by his three children, ViCurtis Audrey Hinton, Diane Hinton Perry (Phillip Craig Perry), and Clarence David Hinton, Jr.; two grandchildren, Phillip Craig Perry, Jr., and Tiffany Diane Hinton; his sister, Louise Hinton Long, who moved to Silver Spring last May to live with her "baby brother"; his godson and nephew, Michael Gray; his son's companion, Linda Johnson; scores of cousins; and a host of friends.


    Former Northwestern All-American wrestler Joei Bales, 41, passed away Thursday, Oct. 2, 2008, at Joliet Area Community Hospice Home. Bales was a four-year letterwinner for the Wildcats, earning All-America honors in 1988 in the 134 lbs. division. Bales still ranks fifth in career victories at Northwestern with 115; his 35 wins in 1987 remains tied for the 10th most in a single season in program history.

    Bales is survived by his three daughters, Alicia "Allie", Emma and Nikkola Bales of Joliet; his mother, Jeanine Paul (nee Fox) of Sun City, Ariz.; two brothers, James (Eileen) Bales of Naperville and Gerald "Jeep" Bales of Peoria, Ariz.; his aunts and uncles, Larry and Nancy Fox, Pat and Sam Parker, Bob and Colleen Fox; cousins, Cindy and Debbie Fox, Tracy Novak, Eric and Lindsey Parker, Erin Cimino and Kelly Fox; his grandmother, Frances Bales of Joliet; a very special friend, Michelle Baker and her daughters, Britney and Tristen; also survived by numerous nieces and nephews.

    Bales was preceded in death by his father, Gerald Bales; grandparents, James and Josephine Fox and Ferris Bales.

    Bales was a graduate of Joliet Central High School class of 1985 and Northwestern University class of 1989. Joei was a member of the 1985 Illinois state champion wrestling team and was an Illinois state wrestling champion. He was a former Lieutenant with the City of Joliet Fire Department and was also a master plumber.


    Former Northwestern track coach Don Amidei, 82, passed away Thursday, July 17, 2008. Amidei served as the Wildcats' head men's track and cross country coach for 13 seasons from 1969-82. A well-respected distance coach, Amidei mentored seven track All-Americans during his time with the Wildcats. Prior to coaching at NU, Amidei was the head coach at St. George High School in Evanston and DePaul. He also was an assistant coach at Loyola. Amidei graduated from DePaul in 1949, and is a member of the school's Athletic Hall of Fame, finishing as the NCAA's runner-up in the middleweight boxing division in 1949. For complete obituary information, click here.


    John Pont, former head football coach and director of athletics at Northwestern University, passed away July 1, 2008 at the age of 80.

    John Pont

    The former long-time college coach and administrator, who owns the distinction as the only coach in Indiana University history to lead the Hoosiers to a Rose Bowl and the last to lead them to a Big Ten title, was NU's head football coach from 1973 through 1977. His best season came in 1973 when he guided Northwestern to a 4-7 overall record and a 4-4 mark in Big Ten action.

    In 1975, he was named Northwestern's director of athletics, and served as both football coach and AD for three seasons. After the 1977 football campaign, he gave up his coaching duties to focus solely on his AD responsibilities. Pont held the AD title until the fall of 1980.

    Pont was a star football player at Miami (Ohio) University and became Miami's head coach at the age of 27. Considered one of the pillars among Miami's Cradle of Coaches, Pont coached at four Division I institutions: Miami (1956-62), Yale (1963-64), Indiana (1965-72) and then Northwestern (1973-77).

    Visitation will be on Sunday, July 6 from 3 to 6 p.m. in Oxford, Ohio, at the Smith and Ogle Funeral Home (5086 College Corner Pike). A Mass of Christian Burial will be held at St. Mary's Catholic Church in Oxford on Monday at 10 a.m. Burial will be in the Miami University section of the Oxford Cemetary. The public is invited to attend all of the observances.

    In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to the McCullough-Hyde Oncology Department (Oxford), The John Pont Scholarship Fund at Miami University, The John Pont Scholarship Fund at Indiana University, and the Athletic Department at the College of Mount Saint Joseph.

    For a complete obituary on Pont's life, visit Miami University's web site.


    Charles `Doc' Glass, a beloved Northwestern athletic recruiter, passed away at his home in Evanston at age 76 on Oct. 5, 1990.

    Glass was a recruiter and counselor for young African-American student athletes at Northwestern. Glass served as a father figure for the African-American student athletes at a time when there were few minority students. He began his work for Northwestern in 1957 when he saw that an African-American sprinter had no one to congratulate him after winning a Big Ten track championship.

    Glass also worked as a custodian at the Evanston City Hall for 30 years. He is survived by his wife Helen; a son, Charles; three daughters, Dorothy Hutchison, Charlene Emmons and Helen Fulce; and four grandchildren.

    Information from the 'Doc' Glass' Chicago Sun Times obituary was used in this In Memoriam.