Sept. 12, 2012
Throughout the 2012 Northwestern football season, NUsports.com will feature one healthy tailgating recipe per week brought to you by Meijer, your one-stop for higher standards and lower prices on everything from groceries to clothing, electronics, home goods and more. Below are the first 11 recipes in the series -- see you on gameday at Ryan Field!
Adobo Chicken Wrap Bites
Serves 4 (makes 20 bites)
1/4 cup KRAFT® SANDWICH SHOP Chipotle Flavored Reduced Fat Mayonnaise
4 Meijer whole wheat or multi-grain tortillas (8 inch)
4 slices KRAFT® Big Slice 2% Milk Reduced Fat Sharp Cheddar Cheese Slice, cut in half
4 pcs. Leaf lettuce, wash and pat dry
1/2 cup Pico de Gallo
8 slices (approx. ½ lb.) Deli sliced chicken
1. SPREAD mayonnaise onto each tortilla, spreading evenly to all edges of tortilla.
2. TOP with remaining ingredients; roll up.
3. Cut each roll into 5 pieces. Secure with toothpicks. Chill until ready to serve.
Adapted from: Meijer Taste of the Game, Try-foods Int'l., www.meijermealbox.com
Apple Dippers with Dip
4-6 Michigan apples (try honey crisp, gala, Jonagold or red delicious)
1/4 cup pineapple juice
1 container Marzetti Caramel dip
1 1/2 cups Bare Naked Fit Almond Crunch Granola
1 cup Planters roasted peanuts, ground
1. Wash apples and cut into wedges using apple slicer.
2. Place apples in a gallon size zipper lock bag. Add pineapple juice and turn to coat apples (to prevent browning. Place in refrigerator.
3. Place caramel dip, granola and ground peanuts into separate serving bowls. When ready to serve, remove apples from zipper lock bag and place on a serving platter; serve with caramel dip, granola, and peanuts. Dip apples and enjoy!
Makes: 8 servings
½ cup Meijer Light Italian Salad Dressing
½ tsp. dried basil
1 garlic clove, minced
3 cups small broccoli florets
½ cup coarsely chopped Roma tomatoes
½ cup slivered almonds, toasted
½ cup halved, thinly sliced red onion
5 oz. smoked or plain Gouda, cut into ¼-inch cubes (about 1 cup)
1. MIX salad dressing, basil and garlic in a measuring cup; set aside.
2. PLACE 3 cups water in a medium saucepan; bring to boiling. Add broccoli; cook 1 minute or until broccoli brightens. Drain; rinse in cold water.
3. COMBINE broccoli, tomatoes, almonds, onion and cheese in a medium bowl; toss to mix. Whisk dressing; drizzle over salad. Toss to coat. Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to serve.
Fiery Adobo Pork Skewers
3 tbsp. puréed chiles in adobo sauce
3 tbsp. Meijer Light Brown Sugar
2 tbsp. fresh lime juice
1 (1-lb.) pork tenderloin, trimmed, cut into 1-inch cubes
1½ orange, yellow or red bell peppers, seeded, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 red onion, cut into 1-inch chunks
1 (10-oz.) pkg. broccoli-slaw mix
¼ cup Meijer Lite Mayonnaise
2 tbsp. fresh lime juice
2 tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
1. COMBINE puréed chiles, brown sugar and lime juice in a large bowl for Pork Skewers; season with salt and pepper to taste. Add pork; stir to coat. Transfer to a large resealable plastic bag. Seal bag; refrigerate 4 to 6 hours.
2. COAT grill rack with nonstick cooking spray. Preheat grill to medium (350°F). Remove pork from marinade; discard marinade. On each of 4 skewers, alternately thread bell pepper, onion and pork. (If using wooden skewers, soak at least 30 minutes before grilling to prevent burning.)
3. PLACE skewers on grill. Grill 6 to 8 minutes per side for (145°F medium-rare) or to desired doneness. Remove skewers from grill; let stand 5 minutes.
4. MAKE SLAW: combine slaw mix, mayonnaise, lime juice and cilantro in a medium bowl and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve pork skewers with slaw.
Johnsonville Apple Chicken Sausage with Apple-Onion Relish
2 (12 oz). Packages (8 Sausages) Johnson Apple Chicken Sausage Links
8 sandwich rolls
Preheat grill to medium-low. Grill 10-12 minutes or until heated through, turning links often. Serve in sandwich rolls topped with apple-onion relish (recipe follows) and honey-Dijon mustard.
Apple Onion Relish
2 cups chopped red onion
3/4 cup Meijer distilled white vinegar
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon(s) tricolored peppercorns, crushed
1/4 tsp. ground McCormick cumin
1 cup chopped Michigan apple (about 1 large apple)
1. Combine onion, vinegar, sugar, peppercorns and cumin in a small saucepan over medium heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low and cook the onions for 15 to 18 minutes.
2. Add apple and cook an additional 2-3 minutes. Cool completely. Place the relish in a covered container and let marinate, in the refrigerator, overnight before serving. Keep refrigerated up to two weeks.
Marinated Pork Tenderloin
Makes 6 servings
2 (1 to 2 lb.) pork tenderloins
½ cup Meijer soy sauce
¼ cup balsamic vinegar
4 cloves garlic, minced
¼ cup Meijer brown sugar
1. In small bowl combine all marinade ingredients. Stir thoroughly to blend. Use immediately or cover and refrigerate up to 1 week. Makes about 3/4 cup.
2. Place tenderloins in a 1-gallon, resealable plastic bag or shallow baking pan. Coat all sides of pork with marinade. Seal bag or cover pan. Refrigerate and marinate 2 to 4 hours. Turn bag or pork occasionally to coat all sides. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes prior to grilling.
3. Prepare a medium fire in a charcoal grill or preheat a gas or electric grill on medium. Brush the grill grate with vegetable oil. Place pork directly over medium fire. Cover grill and cook pork for about 6-8 minutes. Turn and cover again. Cook another 8 to 10 minutes, or until meat is slightly pink in the center, or an instant-read thermometer registers 145°F when inserted into the tenderloin's thickest part.
4. Remove tenderloins, tent with foil and set aside to rest for 5 minutes. Cut the pork into 1-inch-thick slices, arrange on a plate and serve immediately.
Nutrition Information (per serving): Calories 261; Fat 12g; Cholesterol 80mg; Sodium 630mg; Carbohydrate 12 g; Fiber 0g; Protein 26g
Quick & Healthy Greek Potato Salad
Makes 4 servings
1-1/2 lbs. potatoes (red, russet, yellow or white)
1 cup low-fat 2% Greek yogurt
1/3 cup minced red onion
¼ cup sliced Kalamata olives
¼ cup peeled, chopped cucumber
1 tbsp. lemon juice
¼ tsp. sea salt
Freshly ground pepper to taste
Chopped fresh parsley
¼ cup crumbled Feta cheese
Chopped fresh oregano (optional)
1. Place whole potatoes into microwave-safe dish. Cover dish. (If covering the dish with plastic wrap poke small hole in plastic). Microwave on high for 10-12 minutes depending on strength of microwave.
2. Use oven mitts to remove dish from microwave; carefully remove cover from dish due to steam build-up and let cool.
3. Cut potatoes into bite-size pieces and place in a large bowl with remaining ingredients; stir well to mix.
4. Sprinkle with cheese and oregano.
5. This salad may be served right away, but is best if refrigerated for at least one hour.
Nutrition Information (per serving): Calories 210; Fat 3.5g; Cholesterol 5mg; Sodium 440mg; Carbohydrate 39 g; Fiber 3g; Protein 8g
Easy Chocolate Trifle with Fresh Berries
Makes 12 servings
3 cups low-fat milk
2 (3-1/2 oz.) packages chocolate flavor instant pudding and pie filling mix
8 oz. low-fat, non-dairy whipped topping, thawed and divided
Approx. 6 baked brownies (9 inches total)
1 pint raspberries
1 cup sliced strawberries
1. Pour milk into large bowl and add pudding mixes. Beat with wire whisk 2 minutes or until well blended. Gently stir in whipped topping.
2. Place half the brownie cubes into a 2 quart serving bowl or trifle dish. Top with half each of the pudding mixture, berries and remaining whipped topping. Repeat layers.
3. Refrigerate 1 hour or until ready to serve.
Nutrition Information (per serving): Calories 146; Fat 5g; Cholesterol 8mg; Sodium 266mg; Carbohydrate 24 g; Fiber 2g; Protein 3g
½ cup sweet onions, chopped
1 bunch cilantro, stems removed and finely chopped
1 cup tomatoes, chopped
juice on 1 lime
1 tsp. sea salt
½ tsp. pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced (optional)
1. Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl, crush avocados with a fork, and mix well. Serve with Meijer Organic Blue Corn and Sesame Tortilla Chips.
Nutrition information (per serving): 155 calories, 13 g fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 390 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 2 g protein.
Pumpkin Turkey Chili
1 cup chopped white onion (NuValTM Score 93)
1 bell pepper, chopped (NuValTM Score 96)
1 pkg (1.25lb) Jennie-O lean ground turkey (NuValTM Score 46)
1 pkg (1.25 oz.) Meijer Chili Seasoning Mix
1 Tbsp. to 1 1/2 Tbsp. McCormick Southwest Seasoning spice blend (optional)
1 can (15 oz.) Pumpkin puree (NuValTM Score 94)
1 1/2 cups Meijer reduced sodium chicken broth (NuValTM Score 4)
1 can (15.25 oz.) reduced sodium black beans, undrained (NuValTM Score 89)
1 can (15.25 oz.) Meijer corn (no salt added) (NuValTM Score 91)
1 can (28 oz.) Meijer diced tomatoes (NuValTM Score 44)
1. Brown ground turkey, onion and bell pepper in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook until turkey is evenly browned.
2. Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low.
3. Simmer 30 minutes. Add more broth or water for thinner chili.
4. Salt and Pepper to taste, if desired. Serve over spaghetti squash.
Tip: Spoon single portion servings of chili into freezer safe containers. Pull from the freezer and thaw for a quick lunch or fast dinner alternative to fast food on busy nights.
1-2 large spaghetti squash (about 2 ½ to 3 pounds)
Meijer nonstick cooking spray (for oven baking)
Salt and pepper to taste
Oven Bake Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Halve spaghetti squash lengthwise and remove seeds and membranes. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
3. Spray a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray. Place squash halves cut side down on baking sheet and bake 45 to 50 minutes, until tender.
4. When cool enough to handle, use a fork and separate the spaghetti squash into strands.
5. Serve topped with Pumpkin Chili.
Microwave Oven Directions:
1. Halve spaghetti squash lengthwise and remove seeds and membranes. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
2. Place squash half cut side down in a microwave-safe baking dish with 1/3 cup water. Microwave on high for 5 to 8 minutes, until tender. Repeat with second half.
3. When cool enough to handle, use a fork and separate the spaghetti squash into strands.
4. Serve topped with Pumpkin Chili
Tip: To serve just one or two, select smaller spaghetti squash (about 3/4 to 1 lb. squash for two). Prepare as directed above.
Be the first to know what's going on with the 'Cats -- Follow @NU_Sports on Twitter, become a fan of Northwestern Athletics on Facebook! and subscribe to the NU Sports Express e-newsletter to receive the latest news, schedule updates and video and to interact with NU. For more information on following specific Northwestern teams online, visit our Social Media page!