Feb. 13, 2012
Northwestern Composite Schedule
Northwestern Athletics Broadcast Schedule
Follow @NU_SportsLive for Twitter live updates from select events throughout the week.
EVANSTON, Ill. – One season begins, another regular season ends and many more teams are in the thick of their schedules This Week in Northwestern Athletics. The baseball team begins the 2012 campaign while the wrestling squad will honor its seniors at the final regular season dual Friday at Welsh-Ryan Arena. Eight other sports also are competing this week so keep reading to see everything that’s happening in the world of Northwestern Athletics.
Men’s Basketball • @NUMensBball • #NUHoops
Wed., Feb. 15, 5:30 p.m. vs. Indiana – Assembly Hall – Bloomington, Ind.
- TV: BTN • Radio: WGN (720 AM, wgnradio.com) • Gametracker
Sat., Feb. 18, 6 p.m. vs. Minnesota – Welsh-Ryan Arena – Evanston, Ill.
- TV: BTN • Radio: WGN (720 AM, wgnradio.com) • Gametracker
- Ticket Info: A select number of seats are available for Saturday’s game vs. Minnesota. Fans can purchase tickets by calling 888-GO-PURPLE or online at NUsports.com. Groups of 20 or more can receive discounted tickets for Saturday’s game and for the ’Cats Feb. 21 game vs. Michigan.
This Week’s Promotions: Saturday is Scout Day so round up your troop and call 888-GO-PURPLE for specially priced tickets and other incentives.
Notable: John Shurna enters play this week with 1,855 career points, 45 shy of matching Billy McKinney for the Northwestern career scoring record. McKinney's mark has stood for the last 35 years.
Wrestling • @NU_Wrestle
Fri., Feb. 17, 7 p.m. vs. Indiana – Welsh-Ryan Arena – Evanston, Ill.
Senior Night • Webstream: Big Ten Digital Network on Wildcats All-Access • TrackWrestling.com live stats
This Week’s Promotions: There are a number of promotions taking place at Friday’s final regular season dual at Welsh-Ryan Arena. Friday is Fan Appreciation Day where the first 75 fans through the door will get a FREE Northwestern t-shirt. It is also the Chipotle Big Match and the first 50 students will receive Chipotle gift cards.
Members of Northwestern Dance Marathon will be at Friday’s match. Students have the opportunity to participate in a sumo-style wrestling tournament at halftime in order to raise up to $1,500 for Dance Marathon.
Notable: Friday’s match is Senior Night and the ’Cats will honor Robert Kellogg, Ben Kuhar, Brian Roddy and John Schoen for their contributions to the Northwestern wrestling team. Be sure to arrive at Welsh-Ryan early to see the senior ceremony. Friday’s match is the final regular season tune-up for Northwestern as the Wildcats turn their attention to March and the Big Ten Championships from March 3-4.
Tues., Feb. 14 at Lady Puerto Rico Classic – Rio Mar Country Club – Rio Grande, P.R.
Notable: Northwestern wraps up competition at the Lady Puerto Rico Classic Tuesday, Feb. 14, in Rio Mar, P.R. After two days of competition, the ’Cats are currently in eighth place.
Wed., Feb. 15-Sat., Feb., 18 at Big Ten Championships – Iowa City, Iowa
Notable: After completing a 9-4 regular season schedule, Northwestern heads to the 2012 Big Ten Championships in Iowa City with designs on qualifying a number of swimmers for the 2012 NCAA Championships. NU is led by senior Jenny Wilson in the breaststroke, Taylor Reynolds in the sprint free, Erin Sosdian in the distance free, Meghan Cavanaugh in the butterfly and Hannah Points and Kathleen Patterson in the individual medleys.
Men’s Tennis • @NUMensTennis
Sat., Feb. 18, 11 a.m. – vs. No. 59 New Mexico – Combe Tennis Center – Evanston, Ill.
- Live Stats:
- Admission is free!
- ITA Campus Kids’ Day
This Week’s Promotions: Saturday’s match is Campus Kids Day and free pizza will be provided to all in attendance.
Notable: The ’Cats return home to Combe Tennis Center to take on New Mexico Saturday at 11 a.m. This will be just the second meeting all-time between the two schools with the Lobos winning the only previous match.
Fri., Feb. 17-Sun., Feb. 19 at Big Ten/Big East Challenge
- Fri., vs. West Virginia – 9 a.m. – Al Lang Stadium – St. Petersburg, Fla.
- Sat., vs. Pittsburgh – 3 p.m. – Jack Russell Stadium – Clearwater, Fla.
- Sun., vs. Seton Hall – noon – Walter Fuller Complex – St. Petersburg, Fla.
Notable: The Wildcats return eight position starters and 12 pitchers from last season. Northwestern welcomes back a trio of All-Big Ten performers in Zach Morton, Paul Snieder and Trevor Stevens. Head coach Paul Stevens starts his 25th season at the helm.
Fencing • @NCatFencing
Fri.-Sun., All Day – USFA Junior National Olympics – Salt Palace Convention Center – Salt Lake City, Utah
• This is an individual competition and no team scores will be recorded.
Notable: Six members of Northwestern’s freshman class have qualified to participate in this prestigious national event. The next team competition for the Wildcats will take place on Sunday, Feb. 26 at the U.S. Collegiate Squad Championship in New York City.
Women’s Basketball • @nuwbball
Thurs., 7 p.m. at Nebraska – Devaney Center – Lincoln, Neb.
Webstream: Big Ten Digital Network on Wildcats All-Access • Radio: WNUR, 89.3 FM
Notable: NU plays just one game this week, visiting Nebraska Thursday. The ’Cats then close out their regular season road schedule next Monday, Feb. 20 at Illinois.
Women’s Lacrosse • @NULax
Sunday, Feb. 19 at No. 5 Duke (11 a.m. CT) — Koskinen Stadium – Durham, N.C.
Notable: Coming off a dominant 18-6 win over No. 6 Stanford in its season-opener, No. 1 Northwestern faces another challenging road test against fifth-ranked Duke Sunday. The Wildcats have won seven straight in the series against the Blue Devils, who like NU, advanced to the national semifinals last season.
This Week’s Promotions:
- Season tickets for the defending NCAA champion Northwestern women’s lacrosse team are still available! Full-season packages (10 games) can be purchased for only $49 for adults, $29 for youth and $99 for a family plan (two adult, three youth season tickets). Buying a season ticket is also the only way to receive a FREE replica 2011 NCAA championship ring and an invite to a closed Wildcats practice!
- In a year-long series that debuted in October, 2011, the Big Ten Network is profiling one coach from all 12 conference institutions who they consider to be a Big Ten icon. Kelly Amonte Hiller is Northwestern’s representative on the list and is the subject of a 30-minute feature that debuts this Saturday (Feb. 18) at 8:30 p.m. CT on BTN. Other coaching legends profiled in the series include Indiana’s Bobby Knight (men’s basketball), Nebraska’s Tom Osborne (football) and Iowa’s Dan Gable (wrestling).
Softball • @NUSBcats
Fri., Feb. 17-Sun., Feb. 19 at Mardi Gras Invitational – Lafayette, La.
- Fri., 2 p.m. vs. Louisiana-Lafayette
- Fri., 5 p.m. vs. Louisiana Tech
- Sat., 11 a.m. vs. UTEP
- Sat., 6 p.m. vs. North Carolina
- Sun., 2 p.m. vs. Northwestern State
Notable: Northwestern began the season against a tough schedule at the 2012 Kajikawa Invitational, facing three ranked opponents and knocking off No. 17 Texas A&M in extra innings. Senior Adrienne Monka led the Wildcats with three home runs in her first five games of the year. NU travels to a tournament at Louisiana-Lafayette this coming weekend for the first time in the 11-year Drohan era, where it will see a familiar face when it plays North Carolina: 2011 graduate Michelle Batts is a volunteer assistant coach with the Tar Heels.
Be the first to know what's going on with the 'Cats -- Follow @NU_Sports on Twitter, become a fan of Northwestern Athletics on Facebook! and subscribe to the NU Sports Express e-newsletter to receive the latest news, schedule updates and video and to interact with NU. For more information on following specific Northwestern teams online, visit our Social Media page!