NUSPORTSDOTCOM

NORTHWESTERN WILDCATS

Official Store

    Patten Gymnasium

     
    Combe Tennis Center
    Byron S. Coon Center
    Ken Kraft Wrestling Room
    Lakeside Field (soccer/lacrosse)
    Lakeside Field (field hockey)
    Luke Donald Practice Facility and Gleacher Center
    Norris Aquatics Center
    Patten Gymnasium
    Rocky Miller Park
    Ryan Field
    Sharon J. Drysdale Field
    Welsh-Ryan Arena

    Facilities Home

    Patten Gymnasium is a historic, multi-purpose facility located on Northwestern's main campus. The original building opened in 1910 and was home to the basketball team until 1940, when it was demolished to make room for the construction of the Technological Institute and rebuilt farther north at its current location on the corner of Sheridan and Lincoln.

    It was used for basketball for twelve years before Welsh-Ryan Arena opened in 1952. The current, ivy-lined building has the original doors and statues from the old gym. It currently is the home to the women's fencing team. Patten also is the home to the Intramural Sports program. It has offices and locker rooms for the women's lacrosse and men's and women's soccer teams. The facility is named for James A. Patten, former Evanston mayor, philanthropist, commodities broker, and NU Board of Trustees president.